Would drafting a guard at No. 11 be a mistake for the Dolphins? Draftnik weighs in | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would drafting a guard at No. 11 be a mistake for the Dolphins? Draftnik weighs in

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So would the Dolphins be justified in taking Nelson in the top 12?

“Guard is tough, but he’s the best offensive lineman in the draft,” ESPN’s Todd McShay told me.

“If he’s sitting there and some other positions aren’t there, it wouldn’t be a bad pick. You can never go wrong by getting good football players and he’s going to be a good football player for a long time in the league.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Nelson allowed just one sack over the past two years and had the highest run-blocking grade for any guard in college football since 2014.

All this might be a moot point; ESPN’s Mel Kiper has Nelson going seventh to Tampa Bay in his first mock draft.

“Nelson is a plug-and-play starter who would be an upgrade for almost every team,” Kiper said on ESPN.com. “He’s a dominant run-blocker at 6-foot-5, 330, who causes destruction at the point of attack.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article195660409.html

My preference would be one of the top 3 QBs, followed by Derwin James and then Nelson. James or Nelson would instantly upgrade the talent on the team and I would be happy with either pick.
However, when there is an opportunity to draft a highly rated QB, it is short sighted for a team in the Phins’ position to not take advantage. RT is a good QB, but is by no means a QB who can mask other shortcomings on the team, which is what a franchise QB does.

It's not the worst option. He had pro bowl potential at a position where Miami needs help.

A true stud at guard would help fix a lot of our "QB Problems".

The first of 37 mock drafts from ESPN's Daniel Jeremiah is out and has us taking Josh Allen. I'd prefer Baker Mayfield. I think he is amazing.

Tannehill would, of course, come into camp as our starting QB. But instead of having Matt Moore as his non-threating back up QB, we would have a young stud QB that can really start in the future.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...9709652=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

It wouldn't be a terrible pick, but when looking back in 5 years I doubt we say this pick transformed our offense. I'd prefer to take a shot at someone who can make a bigger difference.

NFL YouTube has Josh Allen going to Miami. If Allen is there, I'm probably going there...

I think we're going to wait. There are other guard prospects like Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Braden Smith that should be there when we pick in round 2 that are a little better in pass protection than Nelson. A guy like Isaiah Wynn also has some position flexibility to OT.

I think there will be other priority prospects there in Round 1. This is by no means a wait for developmental prospects at OG strategy (see Asiata last year). OG needs to be targeted with at least 2 picks in this draft, one of them in the top 3 picks.

I would like to see us going Defense in the first and second and looking at OG, TE and RB 3 - 5/6...

I think we're going to wait. There are other guard prospects like Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Braden Smith that should be there when we pick in round 2 that are a little better in pass protection than Nelson. A guy like Isaiah Wynn also has some position flexibility to OT.

I think there will be other priority prospects there in Round 1. This is by no means a wait for developmental prospects at OG strategy (see Asiata last year). OG needs to be targeted with at least 2 picks in this draft, one of them in the top 3 picks.
Better in pass protection???? Like who? The kid has only allowed 1 sack in 2 years.

Better in pass protection???? Like who? The kid has only allowed 1 sack in 2 years.

You're right. I shouldn't have said better in pass protection. From the OG position, Nelson is excellent. What I meant to emphasize was position flexibility. I think the FO is looking for linemen with more position flexibility...OGs that can also kick out to OT when injuries occur.

You're right. I shouldn't have said better in pass protection. From the OG position, Nelson is excellent. What I meant to emphasize was position flexibility. I think the FO is looking for linemen with more position flexibility...OGs that can also kick out to OT when injuries occur.
I'd prefer that they actually find good guards first. Frankly, IDGAF if they can kick outside.

This is a tough one to project. As a completely unbiased person on this issue (ignore my avatar) I really do like Nelson and think he would immediately upgrade our offensive line. A Tunsil- Nelson- Pouncey(sigh)- Davis- James line would probably be the best line we've had since the early 2000s. The playoffs showed that the game is still won in the trenches, and I really can't stand to think of another year of relying on crap guard play to somehow magically turn average.

What makes this difficult to project is that I could also see us going the LA Rams route. They signed Whitworth, and Sullivan to relatively cheap deals and got a great year out of both. I'm not sure I trust this FO to hit on 1 let alone 2 cheap offensive line FAs. I still think QB is the pick at 11, but if the top ones are off the board I could see us going Nelson since he would be the top player on the board if he falls to 11.

It's not about whether he's a good prospect. He's a good prospect. That argument is settled. It's about whether he's a rare player. Can you get that kind of play out of other, cheaper options?

I look at him and I don't think he's a rare athlete for his size or strength profile. As I said before, I went and compared his tape to old tape of David DeCastro and DeCastro was the clear winner there because his functional agility was far better while still having the same power and anchor. Nelson is more of a long-striding explosive guy.

Miami has made some bad decisions here and I'm afraid that because they've made some bad decisions, everyone are swinging the total opposite direction, making another bad decision the other way. It's like when the Oakland Raiders missed a bunch of games in 1999 on missed field goals, and so in 2000 they draft Sebastian Janikowski at #17 overall. Jano has been a good kicker, no doubt about that. Still wasn't the right decision.

Especially considering Jano just as easily could've turned out to be another Roberto Aguayo. It is NOT a risk-less decision to take a guy like that, no matter what anyone tries to sell you. Just like it wasn't a risk-less decision to go with Chance Warmack in the 1st round. I remember him being a "can't miss" guy that was supposed to be a Top 5 player.

You're taking a risk no matter what position, no matter what player. I just don't think you're going for enough reward with a Quenton Nelson.

It's not about whether he's a good prospect. He's a good prospect. That argument is settled. It's about whether he's a rare player. Can you get that kind of play out of other, cheaper options?

I look at him and I don't think he's a rare athlete for his size or strength profile. As I said before, I went and compared his tape to old tape of David DeCastro and DeCastro was the clear winner there because his functional agility was far better while still having the same power and anchor. Nelson is more of a long-striding explosive guy.

Miami has made some bad decisions here and I'm afraid that because they've made some bad decisions, everyone are swinging the total opposite direction, making another bad decision the other way. It's like when the Oakland Raiders missed a bunch of games in 1999 on missed field goals, and so in 2000 they draft Sebastian Janikowski at #17 overall. Jano has been a good kicker, no doubt about that. Still wasn't the right decision.

Especially considering Jano just as easily could've turned out to be another Roberto Aguayo. It is NOT a risk-less decision to take a guy like that, no matter what anyone tries to sell you. Just like it wasn't a risk-less decision to go with Chance Warmack in the 1st round. I remember him being a "can't miss" guy that was supposed to be a Top 5 player.

You're taking a risk no matter what position, no matter what player. I just don't think you're going for enough reward with a Quenton Nelson.

Great Post, my thoughts exactly. Tunsil was a cant miss OT prospect and I am still not impressed and we still have O-line issues.

I would rather spend money in FA on a guard and then have more flexibility at #11. We have not drafted a difference maker in the first round in.....I don't know how long.

A true difference make and instant starter is what is needed. Nelson fits the instant starter box, but how much of a difference maker would he be. I would prefer to address the Center position first.

Back
Top Bottom