Would u take Patterson at 12 and trade back into 1st for a DE since draft deep at DE? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would u take Patterson at 12 and trade back into 1st for a DE since draft deep at DE?

I don't have a problem trading up or down to get a solid impact player and/or value. However, I think that the best value at DE in this draft will come from Jenkins and Carradine from FSU in the late second our third rounds. They are better than a lot of the top DE but were injured. Jenkins was rated higher than Werner before the season. If they are healed at all, we could have both of them fairly easily and still use our top picks on CB, WR, and TE. Let Starks walk and pick up these two...immediate impact! No risk, no reward!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hell, we could trade down, get a 2nd...and then trade back into the late first round twice and still have a 2nd...Could be considered lunacy but oh well.

Perfect world for me is at 12 we grab Milliner/Banks or Werner/Mingo/ Moore. Get someone to help our pass defense. maybe even put us over the top as a top five defense. Then with our first 2nd see if some talented player has dropped, perfect world is Johnathan Cooper or Patterson for whatever reason. Have read lots of mocks around this spot for both, not that I think either will be there. IF no top 32 talent has dropped into our laps, start looking at adding one of the many 2nd and 3rd round grade receivers or corners, Hopkins, Bailey, Trufant, Rhodes. In the 2nd I would hope to either land a top 32 talent that drops or receiver and corner if we didn't take Milliner in the first. IN the 3rd again I would start looking at linemen depending on Jake signing or not but even looking for an upgrade in athlete over Richie for our LG spot. Also adding another receiver from the crop who look talented but don't have Calvin Johnson measureable and are still available. Obviously this all depends on FA, signing Jennings or Wallace would change my take on mahybe adding two receivers but maybe not on who drops. We need talent at lots of positions so really it comes down to who fits our schemes and who is the most talented at the pick. Could be a LB even though this isn't glaring need like corner or receiver.

I'd rather draft 1 elite player high and maintain depth than to pick a non-alpha WR and trade back up for more none elite players losing depth in the process.

We can grab elite physical ability (Margus Hunt) later, but that's not a reason to not pick the same position earlier if he's the best on your board. Look at Clay Matthews vs. Vontae Davis. I hope the FO learned a lesson from that.

The draft is also deep at WR, just not with top-10 talent. I'm guessing that 10 WRs go between picks 15-65 because of all the juniors coming out.

I don't care how it happens. I want Patterson or Allen drafted by Miami. Trading down and getting one of the two would be stellar.

The draft is also deep at WR, just not with top-10 talent. I'm guessing that 10 WRs go between picks 15-65 because of all the juniors coming out.

Which is why people should give thought to the possibility of drafting Cordarrelle Patterson AND another player a little later on.

Is he worth it at 12? Is he in the same class as J Jones, AJ Green or Dez Bryant? If not, then no, not at 12. If he is there mid to late 20's, then perhaps trade back into the 1st after picking Deon Jordon with our 1st pick. WR in the draft than

I think there are better wr's in the 2nd & 3rd that will be avaialble as opposed to more quality DE or CB's in the 2nds & 3rds, soI think we have to take the best DE at 12 that will help Wake, then target WR / TE with our 2nds & 3rds.

Jordan at 12, and if we have to package a 2nd & 3rd or 4th to get back into the 1st & pick either Patterson or Allen, then so be it. We need a true No 1, and even if we get Jennings in FA, we need to groom a new No 1.

I'd be moving around like mad if the opportunity presented itself. First I would trade down to the mid-late 20s for their first this year and next year, then if there is a player I want use a second to move back up some spots into the mid first.

Is he worth it at 12? Is he in the same class as J Jones, AJ Green or Dez Bryant? If not, then no, not at 12. If he is there mid to late 20's, then perhaps trade back into the 1st after picking Deon Jordon with our 1st pick. WR in the draft than

I think there are better wr's in the 2nd & 3rd that will be avaialble as opposed to more quality DE or CB's in the 2nds & 3rds, soI think we have to take the best DE at 12 that will help Wake, then target WR / TE with our 2nds & 3rds.

Jordan at 12, and if we have to package a 2nd & 3rd or 4th to get back into the 1st & pick either Patterson or Allen, then so be it. We need a true No 1, and even if we get Jennings in FA, we need to groom a new No 1.

Better than Bryant but not Jones or Green BUT Jones and Green were top 7 picks so I don't see your point.

Which is why people should give thought to the possibility of drafting Cordarrelle Patterson AND another player a little later on.

I was hoping for the first two rounds to look something like:

Patterson
Okafor
Patton/Bailey

But I don't think Okafor is going to be there in the 2nd. WR is our biggest need, and I'm pretty much sold on Patterson, so I still feel good about him at 12. If there aren't any pass rushers I really like at 42, I consider looking at WR again. We thought Hopkins would declare, but now that he has, it pushes someone else down the line (or I'm assuming it does). Patton, Woods, and Hopkins all look like they'd thrive in this offense. I feel like T. Williams would be another good fit, and he has a shot at falling. Hunter could fall, but I think someone takes a shot at him before the 2nd. If we do go WR/WR, we still have a 2nd and two thirds to address DE and CB. And while our D can definitely use upgrades at those position, FS, and could use depth at LB, it's not like that unit is a cluster **** void of talent like our offense. The D played pretty well this year. Good enough to win with a good offense. Have to prioritize the WR position. And with the talent out there, I'd prefer to pass on the FA's (unless Jennings signs for a friendly contract). I'd rather sign M. Johnson than D. Bowe.

The problem with this line of thinking is that Dez Bryant, AJ Green and Julio Jones are not in this draft.

First off you're treating Cordarrelle Patterson unfairly if you're comparing him with guys that are currently successful in the NFL because you're never going to be able to avoid lookback bias there. How many people actually doubted Dez Bryant's talent coming out of the Draft? Quite a few, I can tell you because I argued against all of them and I ended up arguing quite a bit. I think A.J. Green was just accepted as a great talent, but was Julio Jones? Not really. Not until the Combine and even after that you had a lot of people pointing out that Julio was not an elite prospect until the Combine and the Combine shouldn't matter that much, etc.

Second, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You're tossing out Cordarrelle Patterson based on his not being (NFL) Julio Jones, (NFL) Dez Bryant or (NFL) A.J. Green...but why aren't you tossing out Dion Jordan for not being (NFL) Demarcus Ware, (NFL) Aldon Smith or (NFL) Jason Pierre-Paul? Your exact sentence, exact line of reasoning, could be used to eliminate pretty much every single player that will be available to us at #12 overall.

You've got to compare these players to EACH OTHER...because you can't draft A.J. Green in this Draft. You can't draft Dez Bryant or Demarcus Ware in this Draft. You can only draft Cordarrelle Patterson, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Keenan Allen, Dee Milliner, Johnthan Banks, Sheldon Richardson, Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor, Zeke Ansah, Damontre Moore or Manti Te'o. I mean, there are other choices, but you get the point.

I was hoping for the first two rounds to look something like:

Patterson
Okafor
Patton/Bailey

But I don't think Okafor is going to be there in the 2nd. WR is our biggest need, and I'm pretty much sold on Patterson, so I still feel good about him at 12. If there aren't any pass rushers I really like at 42, I consider looking at WR again. We thought Hopkins would declare, but now that he has, it pushes someone else down the line (or I'm assuming it does). Patton, Woods, and Hopkins all look like they'd thrive in this offense. I feel like T. Williams would be another good fit, and he has a shot at falling. Hunter could fall, but I think someone takes a shot at him before the 2nd. If we do go WR/WR, we still have a 2nd and two thirds to address DE and CB. And while our D can definitely use upgrades at those position, FS, and could use depth at LB, it's not like that unit is a cluster **** void of talent like our offense. The D played pretty well this year. Good enough to win with a good offense. Have to prioritize the WR position. And with the talent out there, I'd prefer to pass on the FA's (unless Jennings signs for a friendly contract). I'd rather sign M. Johnson than D. Bowe.

I agree with this.

Pass rushers Miami should consider at #42 overall include Cornellius Carridine and Corey Lemonier. I would be happy with either player. Both are great value for what they are.

This wide receivers class is so deep, if you've already got the guy at #12 in Patterson that you think provides the same spark for your offense that Julio Jones provides in Atlanta, and in free agency you've either re-signed Brian Hartline or decided to upgrade to Greg Jennings, then you could even wait a little while before you start rolling the dice on some other guys. For example, you could wait until the 4th round or so and roll the dice on STRENGTH guys like Marcus Davis or Chris Harper. These are guys that have a history of physically wrestling the ball in the air away from defenders, with strong hands, and then showing strength and power in their running after the catch.

Back
Top Bottom