Would you be happy/content with ANY of the top 3 available WRs?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Penthos, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

I see a lot of opinions on whether we should pursue Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe. Although I do have my preference, my biggest fear is that we go through the offseason and don't land ANY of them. So I've decided that as long as we land ONE of them, as far as FA WRs aquisitions go, I will be happy and content with it.

Will you?

2. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Pretty certain we get one of them.

However, would be disappointed with Jennings over Wallace. Especially after we find out the contracts weren't all that far apart.

3. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

For all intent and purposes....yes

4. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

I want Jennings, but if he goes elsewhere and we get one of the other two, I wouldn't be too upset about it.

5. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

For me it's more about what is done with the WR position as a whole (including, importantly, the draft) rather than which, if any, specific top 3 FA WR we get. But yes, I could envision a scenario I'd be happy with for each of those FA WR.

6. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Getting any of those 3 will be the bare minimum Ireland has to do IMO to keep his job past the preseason but for him to make me happy we would need to sign one of the big 3 at WR and a F.A. TE like Jermichael Finley or Jared Cook too, plus address the DB situation with at least two new cornerbacks and a replacement for Chris Clemons at the Saftey position. We would also need to address the LT position as well and also seeing if we can upgrade at the DE and LB position opposite of Wake.

So I guess my answer is no. I won't be happy with just Jennings, Bowe or Wallace. A lot more needs to be done this offseason for me to even be optimistic about this upcoming year.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

I know it's a position we've struggled with for a long time, but I just don't think we need to make a risky investment. All of these guys carry serious baggage. If I have to pick one, it's Wallace. We need a big time deep threat and he would mesh nicely with what we know Tannehill can do.

Truth be told, I'm just not buying into the receiver position being all that important. I saw Chris Chambers and Brandon Marshall come in and play very well, yet the passing offense as a whole never seemed to improve. I look at Larry Fitzgerald doing absolutely nothing to help the Arizona passing game, and I feel like that backs up the thought even more.

8. Digital

Digital Starter

Well personally, I'd be happy with either Jennings or Wallace, but Bowe would scare me. The only real issue I have with Wallace is his price tag, but there are so many variables to our salary cap situation that I think we'd almost have to withold judgement on that until we see teh total plan for our salary cap in place.

Jennings I know provides that veteran WR that knows the system and helps our young QB, plus he is an instant plug-and-play #1 WR in Philbin's system, which is almost impossible to find. The biggest thing that separates him from Wallace in my mind Jennings is already a leader in the locker room and already helps young WR's. Our long-term development relies on young WR's and having them tutored by Jennings and see Jennings go the extra mile, and see all those little things that young WR's fail to do be exemplified in Jennings as a leader by example really makes me confident in our young WR corps being good well past the 4 year window of Jennings' contract.

I'm not sure everyone fully recognizes that this will not be Wallace's last big payday. Much like Jake Long, we had what we thought was the answer at an anchor position for the long run. Well, one contract later, we're rethinking that, many saying we cannot afford to resign him, and are seriously contemplating simply letting him go for nothing. So Wallace is young, and he will either not be fast or still be fast when his next contract renegotiation comes up. If he isn't fast, he's not worth the contract and likely gets cut. If he still has that elite speed then he'll command and demand another crazy high contract, and we'll be facing the same situation that Pittsburgh is in with him right now ... he is too expensive. So, while I get that Wallace is young and that's a very good thing, I don't accept that it's a slam dunk he stays good with us past this contract. Food for thought.

9. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Even though I have my personal wish list of who of the three I prefer (All three have thier good points and no so good points), if we got any of the three, I would be happy.

10. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Either Jennings or Wallace would be fine. I dont want Bowe.

11. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

I'm fine with either Wallace or Jennings. Either of them will give this team what it desperately needs, a go-to WR.

12. PJack

PJack A True Fan

I want Wallace, Jennings, then Bowe in that order. I'll be satisfied with any one of them as long as we supplement them with more playmakers in the draft.

13. ericcoc

ericcoc Active Member

sign mike wallace and draft keenan allen. PLEASE!!!!!!

14. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

It will be a big name free agent OR a first round WR.

15. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I'll be happy if he makes the right decision, whether that means signing 2 of the 3 or signing none of them, JUST GET IT RIGHT.

16. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Give me Wallace and Jennings... Realistic? Probably not, but it is possible with our cap space and we won't have to worry about the WR position for a long while.

17. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

I definitely would not be thrilled if we signed any of the big 3 FA wr's, although I would prefer Bowe to the other 2.
    Imho there are going to be a lot of high and unreasonable expectations to what Wallace/ Jennings will do for us.
    I don't think their impact will be anywhere near to their new contracts.

Patterson and Hunter will end up better than these guys Imho. I want us to trade a 2/3 to move up into the first.
    Draft both of them with our firsts, we still have a 2 and 3 for Trufant/Rambo, etc.
    And we still have all that money that we would have blown on Wallace/Jennings/Bowe.

I guess my main thing is, ''Is this guy going to help us be a contender long term?''
    If I don't think he is, I rather not overpay them, even if it costs us a few games in the short term.
    I don't think Hartline/Wallace/Jennings will help us be true contenders, so pass and keep that money for people that can.
    I want wr's just as bad as anybody else, actually more so lol, as you can see I want us to draft Both Patterson and Hunter.
    I just want us to get the right people to help us be actual contenders.
    These are the 2 I feel that can, so let's go get them.

18. The New Guy

The New Guy Starter

I prefer Jennings, but would be happy with any of the 3 (as long as the contracts don't get ridiculous) My question is, what if all 3 are being offered contracts that are near or above their asking price? Would you want the Dolphins to overpay just to land one? I personally wouldn't want the Dolphins to pay Bowe or Wallace 11 / 12 million per season, and wouldn't want to pay Jennings more than 7 / 8 million per.

19. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

I'd love to add Jennings. Runs all the routes really well, can play slot or outside, and is just a good veteran receiver for a young QB and offense (see: Reggie Wayne. I would bet on similar impact).

20. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't think anyone is saying that signing Wallace or Jennings will make us insta-contenders...and I think you are exaggerating the gap between what we would pay for Jennings/Wallace and the production we would get from them (although the gap is probably wider for Wallace). Signing Jennings in FA does not JUST give us leadership, route running, a mentor in the locker room, and a go-to guy who has played on the big stage. It frees us of the responsibility of having to spend a majority of our early picks on WR, and allows us to fill other holes.

I am confused when you say that these two draft picks will help make us "true contenders" while Jennings/Wallace won't? Is this supposed to relate to intangibles? Dedication? Because Jennings/Wallace were not born and bred a Dolphin they can't help us long-term? Or help us be "true" contenders? If so I would use Boldin as an example of a FA who came from another team and helped lead the Ravens to a Superbowl victory.

We have an awful receiving core, a young QB, and a lot of cap space. Spending a little extra money to land a seasoned, NFL proven talent is certainly not going to make us any less of a contender. I also don't think it's worth sacrificing the short term success in hope that the rookies drafted this year turn out to be the saviors for our team, and turn us into what you deem "actual" contenders. So I would argue to you that the WRs coming out this year have a better chance of being a "blown draft pick", then cap space being used to sign Jennings being "blown money". Frankly, I and many others think we should be able to "contend" for the playoffs next year, and I think Jennings can greatly help our chances as well as groom our younger receivers up until his retirement.

21. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Yep, this pretty much sums it up. We need that number one go-to receiver and Wallace or Jennings will provide that for our offense.