Would You Still Be a Dolphin if Pittsburgh Had Taken Dan Marino?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Funkymonks, Jun 1, 2008.

?

Would You Still Be a Dolphins Fan if Pittsburgh had Drafted Dan Marino?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2008.
  1. Yes

127 vote(s)
    79.9%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Funkymonks

Funkymonks The monks are on our side

Was watching some top 10 clips in another thread and got an interesting question to ask.

Would you still be a Miami Dolphins Fan if Dan had been drafted by Pittsburgh, or would you be a Steeler?

I would be because I am a Dolphan because my dad is and he became a fan in 1970 when Shula was hired.

2. armylax54

armylax54 Rookie

I don't know if i would be im only in high school and i became a dolphin fan a couple of years ago when i did a report on dan marino and have been a fan ever since

3. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

Well since I was born after he was drafted I guess it doesn't apply to me but even if Dan hadn't been a Dolphin I would still be a Dolphin's fan. Getting Dan was just a boost in lore for the Dolphins.

4. Finfang

Finfang Finheaven is king!!!

I was a Dolphin fan well before Marino came to Miami so yes I would definitely still have been a Dolphin fan.

5. Ross

Ross Trouble Shooter

Of course. Who decides to root for a team because of one player?

6. LeftHanded21

LeftHanded21 Banned Hammered

haha forreal

7. INfinFAN

INfinFAN Rookie

When I was a kid, the Colts sucked and the games were always blacked out. I saw Dolphins games almost every Sunday. I'd say Dan was a huge factor in me becoming a Dolphins fan. I probably would have been a Colts fan if it wasn't for him but who knows.

8. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I was a Dolphin fan 13 years before Marino was drafted, so obviously.............

9. FINS4LIFE16

FINS4LIFE16 Scout Team

you'd be surprised...

10. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller Scout Team

Became a fan in the late 70's when I was a kid. Always have been, always will be, no matter who is quarterback!

11. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

My mother pretty much pounded it into my head from birth that I was going to be a Dolphins fan, so here I am twenty three years later.

12. Namor

Namor Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Fan since 1970....

13. woody1351

woody1351 Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

i prolly wouldnt be. i chose the fins bc i was a qb and my fav # is 13, and i saw a marino game and the fins were my team. that was in 2nd grade

14. Sunny Fish

Sunny Fish FinHeaven VIP

I was born in '63 and became a die-hard Dolphin fan at age 8 (1971). So yeah.....there was a great love for the fins long before Marino......but man,
    did he ever give us some great years to cheer!

15. godolphins1985

godolphins1985 WILDCARD

I actually prob wouldnt, i am a native New Englander (ugh) and currently reside in FL. The only reason i started watching the fins was because of marino. There was something that drew intrest into watching him play QB over the Patsy's. So at a young age i decided to watch the dolphins and after many years i am still a loyal dolphin fan and always will be. So because of Dan Marino i am not a Patriot fan, i have one of the coolest dolphins tattoo and have the greatest sports team EVER. Thanks DAN!

16. PMZQ

PMZQ FinHeaven VIP

Same here. I went to my 1st Dolphins game in 1967 when Bob Greise made his debut against Denver in the OB.

17. Amars

Amars Championship or nothing.

I would probably say no. I was a raiders fan as a little kid. Dad and older brother had season tickets so I use to go to alot of games. Bo Jackson was a beast BTW. Well once the Raiders/Rams left town I hated them, so I went for my next fav. team the Dolphins. I had no real reason to like Miami other then being in awe by Marino play. In turn I became a dolphins fan and have been for 15+ years. Cant really say yes I would be a dolphins fan if Marino wasn't on the Fins. That being said If a team was ever to come to los angeles I would be right there buying season tickets and a fan but the Dolphins will always be my team.

18. mxkawi1

mxkawi1 Starter

I probably wouldn't also.
    I hated the 49ers, so in '84 I was hopping this 2nd year QB would be able to pull off an upset in the SuperBowl. He didn't, but I have been a fan ever since.
    That and the uni's are a thing of beauty.

19. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Go Fins!

Same here. However, if it wasn't for Marino and the complete admiration I had for him as a kid, I might not have been as strong as a fan as I am. Thus, I'd probably be a Jaguars fan now seeing as I have lived in Jacksonville for the past 6 years and we were all exposed to them in Central Florida when they came around.

20. yospiderweb

yospiderweb Scout Team

yes my family all love miami dolphins before marino came here

everybody but my grandmother (bills fan) we are a miami dolphin family

21. BrewMan13

BrewMan13 Eternal Optimist

I would still be a fins fan. I started liking them in 3rd grade, and at that point I doubt I could've named any of the players. Naturally, Marnio was the 1st one I took a liking to once I knew something about them.

22. C-HUCKS

C-HUCKS Starter

I was a big fan when Csonka,Griese and Warfield played, so of course I would still be a Dolphins fan. Even though it has really been tough sticking with them the last few years , but no matter what I will always remain a fins fan! I just hope the new front office can get this franchise turned around very soon. It is going to be a long season if we only win one game.

23. Motcrue4

Motcrue4 Scout Team

That is so awesome to hear!! :up:

24. phinfan33

phinfan33 A True Fan

yes,i've been a Phins fan ever since i was old enough to understand anything at all about football. i'm currently here in D.C. until july,but i'm from the south florida area,and even if Dan had gone to Pittsburgh,i still would be a Miami Dolphins fan.

25. Motcrue4

Motcrue4 Scout Team

:up:

26. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

Well I was a semi-Lions fan when Barry Sanders played, because his amazing ability made me enjoy watching him and wanted his team to do well. The Dolphins of course were my favorite team at the time and I'm still a fins fan to this day, but I did like the Lions too back in the Barry Sanders days. Does that make me a bad person?:(...:que:

27. DaFish

DaFish Banned Hammered

I don't know. I just know I was a Dallas fan when I was a little kid because my brother was. As soon as I reached the age of reasoning(10 to be exact) I became a Dolphins fan. That was the 84 season I think and I have been a Phin fan ever since.

28. clownfish

clownfish A True Fan

I think you'll find a lot of us who were in our formative years when Dan started up became fans because of him. I grew up in western Pennsylvania and was a Stillers fan until the age of 9 (1984). Seeing this kid out of Pitt tearing up the NFL turned me to a fan that year and I have never looked back. Too bad too cause Pittsburgh has brought home a championship in my lifetime and the Phins haven't even come close to sniffing one since that glorious 1984 season. Argh! Go Phins! F the Steelers!

29. CDNPHIN

CDNPHIN HOME OF THE 1st PLACE LEAFS.

Kids do! When they're young and decide to support one team or another.Jordan did it for the Bulls,Gretzky for the Oilers...etc.etc...

30. Taysia

Taysia DJ Teknision

I was a fan since 72 Marino was just a bonus for me.

31. 3Ply Stagliano

3Ply Stagliano What a schmuck!

My initial reaction was 'Of course' but then, when I thought about it, the true answer is actually 'Probably not'. I decided the Dolphins was my favourite team in the NFL when I watched a Phins game and they won a close aerial battle. Without Marino chances are that game wouldn't have been shown on UK TV and the opposing team (Who, it turns out, I can't remember) may well have won it. I certainly wouldn't have been so impressed by the QB as I was in that game. Of course, as I wrote, they may well not have screened that game anyway without Marino and I could well have been writing on something like a Giants board instead (Although I doubt it as one of my brothers liked the Giants and I didn't like my brother). They were the big team the year I started watching football ('86).

32. fincity

fincity Scout Team

It was Griesie and the Zonk that got me on the Dolphin bandwagon in 1970 ive been on it every since..its hard for us old dolphin fans to switch, we have felt the glory of winning, so ill stick around to watch them do it again

33. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

Absolutely. I'd been a Dolphins fan for 7 years before we drafted Dan. I liked Dan as a player, but I'm a Dolphins fan at heart.

34. TPGP

TPGP Scout Team

Absolutely, i have been a dolphin fan since 1973 (six yrs old) and remember getting pissed off when miami drafted marino.. (shows how much i know).

Riggins had just ran over the dolphin defense and i wanted a run stopper. plus i liked david woodley.

thank god it worked out the way it did

35. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Same here!!:woot:

36. cowboy82nd

cowboy82nd Starter

I was right there with you, yelling at Shula for taking a quarterback when a young David Woodley just took us to the Super Bowl. As for being a Dolphins fan, I became one in 1971 (when I was 5), when my uncle was watching the Dolphins on TV and playing that stupid Miami Dolphins song on his record player.

37. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

Dan Marino did not bring us a ring so yes.

38. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Who knows, probably not.

Growing up on the west coast, I never really got to see that many fin games early in my life. There was no directv back then. But I grew up a Marino/Montana fan. But there was something about Marino that may him my favorite, thus I chose the Fins over the Niners.

39. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Ever heard of the Killer Bees...?

40. guatemalanfan

guatemalanfan Perennial All-Pro

yes, I have been a fan sincie 1999, marino's last year