Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014?

Trade 2nd round pick in 2013 for 1st in 2014?

• Yes

Votes: 80 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Depends what is available at that pick

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Other/Please explain

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Unless you see too much talent that's you evaluated extremely high on your board, you always trade the lower pick this year for higher next year...expecially a 1st round pick.

Not only that, but the 2014 class is likely going to be top heavy at positions Miami might find itself needing (WR/OL/TE)

Obviously things change drastically year to year, but as long as you are making educated decisions with the best possible information at the time, I don't see how you can go wrong.

From my point of view, there are some factors to evaluate:
1. The team involved has to be be a team expected to have a middle round to high pick, that is a no brainer,a team like KC.
2. Talent wise draft class on next year, this is not as talented draft class as it was last year, by the way that is why NE decided to spend their picks last year. So how is expected to be next year?
3. Which pick is available in our turn.

Then we can take a decision.

My initial reaction is absolutely. Only thing I would hesitate about is if it will be a team who would end up giving us a late first. Might not do it then for our high 2nd. For the most part I think you should always do this trade though.

I am glad to see that a lot of you understand my thinking on the subject. My biggest concern for this offseason is that we fail to take some of the solid postion we have and don't use it to set up future years. We can't possibly fix all our weaknesses in one offseason. I fear that we may try to hard to address holes with only stop gap options when we can do a lot of good at certain spots and set ourselves up for future options that give us long term solid results.

That would spoil some of our draft day fun. But if Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, Matthews, Eifert are all gone by that pick then we probably couldn't turn down that value. Though I will say our team needs to win and win now. I think our team needs to value the importance of the present a little more. Ireland has never made any dramatic moves for a single year and all that's led to is 5 years later we've won nothing and he's rebuilding his own slowly constructed rebuild.

Value wise, its a great deal. But it leaves you without a high 2nd round pick this year, which could help you a lot more in the short term - so you definitely have to weigh the circumstances. I dont think you can just give a short "yes" or "no" to this question.

Value wise, its a great deal. But it leaves you without a high 2nd round pick this year, which could help you a lot more in the short term - so you definitely have to weigh the circumstances. I dont think you can just give a short "yes" or "no" to this question.

Definatley a lot of variable play into this. And if for some reason a player you rated really high drops to this spot you gotta take him, but on the other hand if the board fills out where you think you can address current needs with what is available in the late 2nd and early third you must consider it.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Yep, I did it in Madden 2013.

LOL. I tried it in mv CC league but nobody was dumb enough to take the bait...

I remember Joch McDaniels doing this on draft day to take Alphonso Smith. He traded a 1st round pick the following year for a high 2nd rounder, and he was laughed out of Denver.

That would spoil some of our draft day fun. But if Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, Matthews, Eifert are all gone by that pick then we probably couldn't turn down that value. Though I will say our team needs to win and win now. I think our team needs to value the importance of the present a little more. Ireland has never made any dramatic moves for a single year and all that's led to is 5 years later we've won nothing and he's rebuilding his own slowly constructed rebuild.

Does spoil the fun for sure... However, if you lock down the CB, Pass rush issue, and WR issue in FA and the first round and there is not a pick need piece there I would hope our front office would consider it. I am sure they would we have never been shy of the trade back or trade out of a spot option, LOL

I remember Joch McDaniels doing this on draft day to take Alphonso Smith. He traded a 1st round pick the following year for a high 2nd rounder, and he was laughed out of Denver.

He did a lot of STUPID things in Denver. Trying to be a lot like Daddy got him into a lot of hot water.
Draft TEbow in 1st
Trade away Marshall and Cutler (although they got some good ammo in return)
to name a few...

The default answer to this should be a "yes" in my opinion. There are always extenuating circumstances that can make you re-think even the most no-brainer decisions. And thus, there are potential extenuating circumstances that could theoretically see you saying "no" to this scenario. However, that doesn't change the fact that the default answer should be "yes" and you'd better come up with a real good reason to say "no" to free draft value.

Back
Top Bottom