WR Brandin Cooks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Brandin Cooks

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is the player who bothers me more than any other as to the thought of passing up a play maker at #19. Hard to watch him and not be reminded of Tavon Austin- so many great plays to look at, here's one I like because of the release, play starts at 5:05 and you can see an iso of his fantastic release at 5:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7gCywxvoDw

So fast, so quick, so smooth and this dude is strong. He short, but he's Steve Smith size at 5-9 3/4 190 lbs. As to the lack of height I say screw it, put him in the slot and good luck to opposing secondaries covering him and Wallace, with Hartline working the sidelines and Rishard Matthews doing his thing. Hopefully Gibson comes back full strength, we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-Qx2eH8S4

The question is, can you wait on a RT? I keep seeing a late round solution in Matt Patchan, who looks healthy to me and the talent is undeniable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gh5N_hM6g

Can you wait for a RT??

If so:

1. WR Brandin Cooks
2. OLB Kyle Van Noy
3. OG Trai Turner
4. TE CJ Fiedorowicz
5. MLB Preston Brown
6. OT Matt Patchan
7. Take a flier on whatever good OL ina deep draft is available- Charles Leno, Wesley Jouhnson, Spencer Long, Anthony Steen, Zach Fulton, maybe a late round flier on a WR/KR like John Brown or a talented wild card like OLB Adrian Hubbard or DT Demonte McCallister. Plenty of options. To me Patchan could be the key, and I've become a believer after researching a bit as to what happened to him as per the litany of injuries- two scooter accidents, shot in the park, I doubt those things are going to happen again. Worth the gamble imo, big payoff if he stays health, the talent is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooks is one of my favorite players in the draft. He is dynamic and would be an absolute match-up nightmare with Wallace demanding attention on the outside. I think the Jets may end up with Cooks right before Miami at #18, but if he's there that would be a hard guy to pass on.

As far as right tackles go, I think Miami can find a starter in R2. I'm really high on Billy Turner, who is projected 2nd/3rd round range by most. He absolutely dominated albeit at the division II level. At the very least, I think he could move to LG while he gets some playing time but I do see him as an instant starter. Antonio Richardson has seemed to drop some. I don't really like him as a LT, but I think he'd be an upgrade for the Dolphins at RT. Mewhort on Ohio State is another who could start right away.

I will say that if Miami goes any other position besides OT in R1, that the team should draft an OT in 2nd.

I like marquise lee better as a all around player, but cooks on the same side as Wallace would be insane. The safety would be in no mans land trying to decide who to favor.

If you're looking for a big-play WR at a discounted price, Tevin Reese is interesting. I did a short write up on him, and he has insane big-play ability from the slot. Reminds me of Victor Cruz in that way. Because of his injury issues and his very slight frame, you can probably get him in the 5th or 6th. As an athlete, by the way, he compares favorably to Cruz (both off the charts). Prior to his injury, Reese averaged 25 YPC (!!), 118 yards per game, and he scored 8 TD's (7 games). Like Lee, he doesn't break stride when changing direction, but Reese is the more explosive athlete. Good risk/reward guy in the later rounds.

I like Lee and Beckham a little more as all-around wide receivers, but I would be elated with any of them at 19.

I like Lee better too but would have no problem with Cooks at 19.

I do see Cooks hitched to the NY Jets in a lot of mocks though.

I have him at 19. I think the WRs will slide to us. Cooks reminds me of --------- with better speed. Teamed with Wallace, this combo will decimate.
Edit: I meant to say Desean Jackson

Draft picks:
1. Brandon Cooks - WR
2. Chris Borland - ILB
3. Cyril Richardson- OG
4. Robert Herron - WR
5 Storm Johnson - RB
6. Justin Britt - OT
7. Sentreal Henderson - OT

Last edited by a moderator:
I have him at 19. I think the WRs will slide to us. Cooks reminds me of Fitzgerald with better speed. Teamed with Wallace, this combo will decimate.

But isn't Cooks a small WR? I think he's only 189 lbs. He seems more like a slot, or Percy Harvin like Wr, which is all good if fins didn't have wallace. Wallce is afast, but not big, lighter WR too. Idk how cooks being a small wR compares considering Fitzgerald is a big WR, with size and who could use his body and block out cbs and get the pass above them and just a bigger guy.

I have him at 19. I think the WRs will slide to us. Cooks reminds me of Fitzgerald with better speed. Teamed with Wallace, this combo will decimate.

Draft picks:
1. Brandon Cooks - WR
2. Chris Borland - ILB
3. Cyril Richardson- OG
4. Robert Herron - WR
5 Storm Johnson - RB
6. Justin Britt - OT
7. Sentreal Henderson - OT

Fitzgerald, Larry or F. Scott? Larry Fitzgerald is great, I love Cooks as a prospect but they're completely different players imo.

This is the player who bothers me more than any other as to the thought of passing up a play maker at #19. Hard to watch him and not be reminded of Tavon Austin- so many great plays to look at, here's one I like because of the release, play starts at 5:05 and you can see an iso of his fantastic release at 5:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7gCywxvoDw

So fast, so quick, so smooth and this dude is strong. He short, but he's Steve Smith size at 5-9 3/4 190 lbs. As to the lack of height I say screw it, put him in the slot and good luck to opposing secondaries covering him and Wallace, with Hartline working the sidelines and Rishard Matthews doing his thing. Hopefully Gibson comes back full strength, we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-Qx2eH8S4

The question is, can you wait on a RT? I keep seeing a late round solution in Matt Patchan, who looks healthy to me and the talent is undeniable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gh5N_hM6g

Can you wait for a RT??

If so:

1. WR Brandin Cooks
2. OLB Kyle Van Noy
3. OG Trai Turner
4. TE CJ Fiedorowicz
5. MLB Preston Brown
6. OT Matt Patchan
7. Take a flier on whatever good OL ina deep draft is available- Charles Leno, Wesley Jouhnson, Spencer Long, Anthony Steen, Zach Fulton, maybe a late round flier on a WR/KR like John Brown or a talented wild card like OLB Adrian Hubbard or DT Demonte McCallister. Plenty of options. To me Patchan could be the key, and I've become a believer after researching a bit as to what happened to him as per the litany of injuries- two scooter accidents, shot in the park, I doubt those things are going to happen again. Worth the gamble imo, big payoff if he stays health, the talent is there.

Totally agree and he is my pick in my mock...where we differ is I go RT in round 2 most likely and no later than round 3.

I probably draft 2 guys that play RT and possibly guard.

I like Cooks a lot...but I just can't buy into taking him over Allen Robinson. Thats just a personal preference, I think Robinson is a better fit. Now Lee vs Cooks...thats a tossup for me. Id take them all over Beckham though

Fitzgerald, Larry or F. Scott? Larry Fitzgerald is great, I love Cooks as a prospect but they're completely different players imo.

Sorry, I meant to say Desean Jackson. My wife was in 1 ear and my daughter in the other while I was posting.
Jackson's game and Cooks game are very similar.

I love Cooks. He has fantastic speed, can catch the ball while double teamed, has great hands and should be a big play receiver. I just hope the Jets don't take him at #18. If we take a WR at #19, he would be my pick ahead of Lee and Beckham.

The big question with cooks is what happens when all around good CBs cover him, he didn't see much of thst in college. Obviously you can say thst about a lot of WRs in college, but him being undersized is a big difference.

One thing that makes design so good, is he's incredibly quick off the snap, I havent seen enough of cooks to know how he good he is at that, but I do know most undersized wrs aren't as good as desean off the snap which is why they struggle.

Incredibly quick off the snap......great burst.....and 4.3 elite deep speed...even most pro's can't match his physical talents.:hclap:

Back
Top Bottom