WR Comparison: Jennings/Bowe/Wallace

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mandal24, Dec 29, 2012.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. mandal24

mandal24 Genesis

Who will it be in 2013? Jennings already knows he's not resigning in GB. Bowe wants out and is from Miami. Pittsburgh will let Wallace walk if history has proven anything for that franchise.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead...yne+Bowe&playerThree=Mike+Wallace&playerFour=

Jennings is the oldest and has played with the best talent (arguably). He obviously fits Philbin's offense as he produced well in his system will the Fins be paying big $$$ for a guy that will most likely play around 13 games per year? Will his best asset, his speed, start to decline as injuries mount? In my opinion, he is the highest risk/highest reward of the 3.

Bowe is a Miami native who I feel could really play well back in his hometown. Bowe was THE receiver in KC so he knows how to be the man and take the double teams. He will definitely benefit from having Hartline/Bess/top draft pick? lining up next to him. Is he a Philbin guy though? Does he have enough speed to flourish in this offense? He could be a great redzone threat for us with his size. He presents a low risk/high reward in my opinion and he's my guy.

Wallace is your prototypical deep threat. He's the fastest receiver in football and would immediately make the Dolphins offense much more dynamic. This would open up the running lanes as teams wouldn't be able to stack the box nearly as much as they have in the past. This offense would have the "homerun threat" in the passing game this team has been severely lacking. He might be a headcase? Will demand top dollar although he might overvalue himself (what player wouldn't). Although it could be argued that he does not fit in Philbin's system, it's not as if this team would somehow struggle to get him the ball. He is also the youngest. I see him as a low risk/high reward however from a cost-effective standpoint, I see him at a poor value as he is more one-dimensional then the other 2 receivers on the list.

If Jennings was not so injury-prone, I'd say Jennings would be our guy but with him dealing with injuries that may slow him down, I think Bowe should be our guy. Thoughts?

2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Jennings is prime choice A. Bowe is option B.

Wallace is a very overrated player. He's fast, and thats about it. Not a WCO WR.

3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i'm still betting it's jennings...and that miami gets a big physical win wr in the draft...maybe keenan allen with that top pick...jennings is someone that philbin is gonna back for being his kind of guy...might also see jermichael finley who will be relatively cheap if he's let go in green bay and philbin knows understands option routes and reading coverage and leverage and would instantly upgrade the position in miami next year as well...

if it's not jennings it may be mike wallace who's rediculous speed and acceleration is just what the doctor ordered in this o...

4. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

bowe may take a hometown discount. you never know. i say screw it and sign bowe and jennings. now that is a splash

5. mandal24

mandal24 Genesis

^wow can u imagine if the fins signed both? that would be fun, but borderline jets-stupid

6. Digital

Digital Starter

I still think Miami goes after Jennings hard and if he truly is leaving Green Bay then I'd think we have the inside track to get him. Then we'll draft 2 WR's to understudy him and maybe a TE as well. Jennings is a good locker room guy and will keep the youngsters focused on becoming good WR's and loyal to Philbin and Sherman. He is an extremely talented WR who will be great for our young QB and take a lot of coverage away from Hartline and allow Bess to slip back into the slot where he is effective. There will be plenty of opportunities for the young WR's to rotate in or step up when Jennings can't go.

Last offseason Jennings did a lot of endorsement work. Usually when that happens the player is less focused, less in-shape, and less ready for the regular season to begin. It often manifests itself as an injury plagued campaign. That definitely happened with Jennings. But, this offseason those problems shouldn't be present, and the disappointment of last seasons injuries and the desire to prove a point to Green Bay that it was a mistake to let him go may well lead Jennings to have a very good year next season. He will also be less expensive than he would if he had been a FA last season. IMHO, he is exactly what Philbin wants and would be great for the young WR corps.

I'm not a Bowe fan as his effort runs hot and cold. He would definitely set a bad example for the young WR's as a diva receiver I think.

Wallace I like, but I'm not really sure he fits the WCO system nearly as well as he fits a downfield offense. Clearly we'd have competition for him and he'll be expensive. That looks like one we may have to let get away.

7. sfipurchases

sfipurchases Active Member

I'll take either Jennings or Wallace, but Bowe will be a cancer in the locker room.

8. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Jennings is the best fit. Some think he has been injury prone his entire career. He had injury issues this past year only. He needs an off season the get healthy. Like Hoops, adding Jennings then drafting Allen and and adding a TE through FA or draft makes this offense really good. If that or something similar happens, watch Bush, assuming he is re signed, and Miller excel.

9. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

For ****'s sake is the WCO is being dragged out again as an excuse to avoid talented speed receivers? If anyone watched this year, we haven't abandoned deep routes we've just lacked the personnel to execute them properly. This offense is starved for speed and we have the chance to bring in maybe the best deep threat in the league. I have trouble calling Wallace overrated when he has more TDs through his first 4 years in the league than our entire WR corp combined over that span.

10. whodizking

whodizking Rookie

Jenning is best fit for offense but feel he isn't Elite. He is very good just don't see him Elite. low risk and low reward making it safe

Wallace is a home run hit but also a one trick pony and the good defenses take him out easy. Highest risk and medium reward for the occasional big play but when u need a first or need that corner end zone TD catch I don't see him making the catches sorry.

Bowe is the only player that at full energy of his skills is the most dominant but doesn't say much if he doesn't believe and giving
    him tons of money to see him lose faith if we lose would just be horrible. I feel he is the medium risk but higher reward if it works.

I hope that we find that WR young talent we need in is years draft FINALLY cuz I hate paying these Divas big cash

11. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

So greg isn't elite but wallace is a homerun hit? The only thing wallace has over jennings is speed. And when jennings is healthy he's always been a top 10 WR. Jennings easily the most skilled but oldest, Wallace with the most speed and youngest, Bowe being the most physical and 1 year younger than jennings.

12. sharp

sharp Scout Team

lol wallace would be fine here, he can take the hartline role of curl and bomb

I like that tannehill likes to chuck it deep, I think wallace is obviously perfect for that

13. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Wallace is a lot more than just a deep threat. The fantastic thing about him is that he has legitimate feet and start and stop ability... and the ability to run by just about everyone. In other words, if he kept the rest of his physical talent and was only a 4.5 guy... he'd still be a legitimate NFL starter, imo. He's not a physical dynamo on contested balls but he's stronger than a Brian Hartline. Probably a notch below Greg Jennings in that area but certainly in his class.

Dwayne Bowe is lazy and a ****up. He's more the prototypical WCO (though not the kind of receiver Philbin had in Green Bay) but I just don't care for the guy. I've always got the sense he was just waiting to get paid. But, I don't think we have to worry about it because I don't consider him a very likely option, if for no other reason than he's a drop machine and Philbin hates drops more than Mark Sanchez hates life.

I've sung Jennings' praises for a while now. I definitely feel we have the inside track to sign him, for all the obvious reasons and also because Jennings wants to be an actor when he's done playing (he's already guest starred on Law and Order, I think), and Miami is a good media market to be in for that. The guy is a great mentor, runs the best fade stop in the business and is clutch. But with his recent injury history and age you can't look at him as the answer the way you can with Wallace. He's a stop gap. You're still basically committing yourself to needing to upgrade the position with a premium young talent. Like I said in the Barry Jackson thread, I'm much happier with a Jennings signing if it means we've maneuvered in the draft to get Steadman Bailey.

14. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Jennings and Bowe would be ridiculous. We have enough picks to fill in some of the holes if Ireland can actually hit a few in this draft.

15. Ricardoperez23

Ricardoperez23 Active Member

Finally someone says it well.We finally have a chance to add a true fast talented receiver unlike scary ginn.If he doesn't know the WCO system he can learn it hes a smart guy who played all his life.lol..Get Wallace and get a WR in the draft that's tall, fast and physical to groom in,along wit a TE and this Offense will be unstoppable.

16. whodizking

whodizking Rookie

What I ment was that Wallace is a one trick pony with the occasional home run hit.... not that he is a home run hit signing.

But I still don't think Jennings is elite tho. he is good and might fit in this offense but I hope u aren't looking for 1500 TD season or 200 TD receiving games. I think he will be solid at best.

To me Bowe is better but like I said it is if he believes in the team or we will have what the chiefs have head aches. Similar to Marshall dilemma even tho we shouldn't have in my opinion traded him

17. whodizking

whodizking Rookie

1500 YARDS AND 200 YARDS, STUPID PHONE!!! Lol Sorry guys

18. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Don't see Wallace coming here, with 32 teams in the league the chances of him coming here are probably 1% or less. Why would Miami be his number 1 destination? Bowe I agree isn't a Philbin type guy, too many drops and not a team first player. Jennings could come and I think Philbin might be open to that, and we probably do have the inside track, the question is does Philbin want an older good receiver or does he want to build nearly all through the draft. If I'm honest I think there is a reasonable chance we sign him, maybe 50/50.

19. ohiohurricane

ohiohurricane Active Member

Cant wait for a stud wr

20. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

I think Bower and Jennings are the most realistic options. I think someone is going to drastically overpay for Wallace and I don't think it'll be us. Remember last year that this guy wanted as much money as Larry Firzgerald? That's outrageous.

21. TheWalrus

Fitzgerald is the highest paid wide receiver in the league and that's how every receiver wants to get paid. You really think Wallace isn't signing on the dotted line until someone offers $50 million guaranteed and ~$13 million per year? I don't.

Here's a link to the highest paid wide receivers in the league this year. Note a few of these are "franchise tag" deals.

http://www.numeroten.com/top-10-lists/sports/top-10-highest-paid-wide-receivers-2012-in-the-nfl/

Vincent Jackson, you'll see, did get Larry Fitzgerald money. And he played well this year, too. Averaging more than 19 yards per reception for 1,300 yards, despite missing a game.

Wallace is worth a deal more in the $8-10 million range, probably closer to $10 million. If you want a player of his caliber, that's what they cost. He's every bit the player Santonio Holmes is, in my view. Pittsburgh used him sort of one dimensionally but he has a ton of versatility. Jennings for his part would cost less but not as much less as people think. Probably in the $6 to $7 million range annually.

22. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

I don't know why people think we have an inside chance to land Jennings. Just because Philbin is here doesn't mean Jennings would prefer to be here. He could very well want to play with Luck/Manning/Brady or whomever.

I'd love to sign the guy but I don't think we have any advantage over any other team in this league, well except the Jest because they suck.

23. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Jennings is the only one I'd take. Bowe and Wallace are problems children, they want WAY to much money and Wallace has not played well in what should have been his best season (if for no other reason to get a new, huge contract). C Gates could have been our long ball threat for a 1/20th of what Wallace is demanding.

TE Jermichael Finley is a slacker, he is a player that someone will think they can turn around but I would not touch him.

If we want to bring someone in, bring in a winner and a good locker room guy. With the new CBA, rookies are so much cheaper (Jake Long anyone) then player's drafted 3 years ago or more. Just because we finally have a lot of cap money does not mean we waste it. I'd rather overpay a great Free Agent corner then any WR.

We need speed at WR but we also need speed on defense.

24. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Jennings is the only one I'd take. Bowe and Wallace are problems children, they want WAY to much money and Wallace has not played well in what should have been his best season (if for no other reason to get a new, huge contract). C Gates could have been our long ball threat for a 1/20th of what Wallace is demanding.

TE Jermichael Finley is a slacker, he is a player that someone will think they can turn around but I would not touch him.

Good list of targets 3 inches

FA Signings
    WR G.Jennings 9mil
    TE J.Cook 4mil
    DE M.Johnson 7mil
    CB Q.Jammer 5mil
    CB D.Cox 7mil

If we want to bring someone in, bring in a winner and a good locker room guy. With the new CBA, rookies are so much cheaper (Jake Long anyone) then player's drafted 3 years ago or more. Just because we finally have a lot of cap money does not mean we waste it. I'd rather overpay a great Free Agent corner then any WR.

We need speed at WR but we also need speed on defense.

25. enduro

enduro unknown quantity

this years free agent market is going to be a buyers market. the big money deals will be hard to come by for 2013 free agents. we can sign anyone we want. this is from the man in charge.....

26. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Wallace = overrated and not worth the money.

Bowe = sucks and a bad seed. nothing more than a stats guy on a bad team.

Jennings = I'd take him at a reasonable contract that takes into account his age and injury plagued season. Risk.

27. da1nonlydre16

da1nonlydre16 Well-Known Member

I'd pass on all three and send a third to Philly for Jeremy Maclin and draft a receiver in the first two rounds.

28. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

I would think with J.Philbin getting rid of B.Marshall that would let everyone know that D.Bowe is not coming here.

Where my 1st choice is to bring in Jennings I could certainly see us going draft only with new offensive weapons.

29. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I'm happy with any of the three but, favor Bowe. IMO, he fills our biggest WR need in the red zone. He has 6 drops this year, and 24 over 3 years, which is average. If not for the injury concerns, I might give Jennings a slight edge, as he is also a VG in the red zone.

30. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

It never fails does it. SMH at some people.

31. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy Scout Team Finheaven VIP

im not gonna post it on here cause it is NSFW language....but if you question jennings, then just go to youtube and put in greg jennings putting team on back. dwayne bowe doesnt put the team on his back, mike wallace doesnt put the team on his back.

but in all honestly, i know we need the homerun threat, but jennings knows the offense and has shown he can be successful in it, at that to bess being a beast in the middle routes, and hartline being a beast on the sideline routes i see jennings would open things up something awesome. plus if hartline and bess were playing their natural positions of 2-3 recievers instead of 1-2 i believe it would make the offense that much better. i know we dont have the TD stats we'd like to see from our WR's but it isnt completely from lack of not having a redzone threat. it seems on the PA bootleg inside the 5 tannehill is working it pretty good now finding the rb or te. i would have no objection to bringing in bowe, we need to upgrade, he is def alot more physical than anything we have on roster. i think its also been mentioned that philbin comes from a system that doesnt put high priority on drafting wr's high in draft. so even if a cant miss wr is sitting there at our pick in first three picks, dont be surprised if we still draft elsewhere. once again picking up in making the 4th and 6th round. one being used on a wallace molded wr, one being molded in a bowe type reciever.

regardless as much as we feel different, the people in the front office and with the headsets on know more about and more details on all these players, so ill just go with whatever decision they make, unless its bringing naanee back....i cursed the heavens when we aquired him...that was a decision i knew more about :) have a great final fins sunday all

32. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Mixing Bowe and Jennings would probably go as well for us as mixing Alonso and Hamilton went for McLaren.

33. TheWalrus

:rolleyes2:

If everyone believes that, it won't be a buyers market.

34. enduro

enduro unknown quantity

owners will not be shelling out the big money llke they did in the past. sure there will be some big deals but nothing like the past. that is what i mean by buyers market. miami will sign a free agent receiver. philbin is pushing for jennings and my man likes wallace but there is a another plan they are working on. they are talking to a team about trading for the best receiver in the nfl and his huge contract. nfc team......stay tune as we will run the show this off season.

35. Dolfan4life!

Dolfan4life! A True Fan

Every bit the player Santonio Holmes is? I hope we do better than a Santonio Holmes type player. He's not much of a measuring stick.

36. enduro

enduro unknown quantity

this years wr crop is 2nd round talent at the top. so we lose a couple of #1's for a superstar. sounds good to me. word is we will stick to bpa for our #1 if we still have it.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

this crappy obama-economy will be playing into this freeagency period. players will jump on a resonable offer.

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

tell the man at the top that if he thinks there won't be big money shelled out to top level free agents when teams under this new cba have to spend to such a high number against the cap he's got another thing coming...if the plan is to low ball we are gonna end up on the outside looking in...

god dang i hope these guys are smarter than this...

38. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

What the hell makes you think for a minute Philly would trade Maclin, a first rounder a couple years ago, for a 3rd? Why would they trade their most consistent WR anyway?

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

best wr in the league....calvin johnson trade??? tell ireland he better be ready to give up all 5 of those top picks plus a 1st next year to pull that one off...

40. TheWalrus

I don't think you understand how the rookie cap and salary floor conspire to make this untrue.

As for trading for Fitzgerald, who I assume you're talking about. I don't think I'll be holding my breath on that one. :lol:

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Santonio Holmes is one of the more underrated WRs in the league. He's less than a championship caliber person but on the field he's as natural a football player as there is.

41. hoops

hoops exited stage left

larry fitz isn't worth that contract and what he'd cost in trade anyways...

42. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Bro I know that it has been just this year, but if he gets a big contract will the injuries this year just a be a freak thing or what is to come?

43. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I would take Bowe over those other two in a heartbeat, simply because of the numbers he has put up with the garbage throwing to him. He would make Tannehill better instantly.

After him, I would go Wallace and then Jennings. We have a young team, and youth needs to continue to grow together.

44. DolphinFan87

DolphinFan87 Rookie Donator

how does Wallace not fit in the WCO? I don't understand that. Yeah he's good at running deep routes but i've seen plenty of times of him running routes constantly within 5-10 yards. Any WR can fit in the WCO, that talk is silly.

45. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

That's why you do it if he's willing to reconstruct it.

46. hoops

hoops exited stage left

a restructure of a contract when a guys in his prime usually means you are guaranteeing him more money in the deal thus he's willing to restructure and lower your cap hit...with larry fitz the cards have already paid him a ton of guaranteed money you don't want to add to that in a trade for his services...his yearly salary also i imagine will keep him content for the next few years at least...not sure what's left on his contract either but i bet it probably is not as bad as that 7 year $100 mil sounds when he first signed it...

this is all pretty moot anyways imo neither the cards or the lions can afford to trade the only guys they have that puts butts in the seats these days...

47. Finsfan79

Finsfan79 Well-Known Member

get bowe and jennings is my choice- why settle for one?

48. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

No chance this team gets Bowe, IMO. If Philbin was willing to ship out Brandon Marshall -- who is a much better player than Bowe -- and work with junk at the receiver position, what makes you think he is going to want to bring in a putz like Bowe, who isn't even as talented?

49. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Larry >