WTF Jason Cole? (Ireland related) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WTF Jason Cole? (Ireland related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy_miami

2020 cant get here soon enough
Reaction score
On WQAM he goes on a rant about how it would be stupid to fire Ireland now 'he just found the QB, I don't understand why people want to fire him now. If you wanted to fire him you should have done it last season (no ****). Let him build around that QB that he found. Look at Alex Smith, his career has been ruined because of all the churning at the head coach and gm positions'

Really Jason Cole? You're gonna use the 49ers as an example as to why you shouldn't keep changing head coaches and GMs? Do you not realize they've become one of the best teams in the league BECAUSE they finally found competent people at those positions?

I am not an Ireland guy and think they should have cleaned house at the end of the 2010 season. However, at the same time, it is not simply a crazy idea to keep him. I can understand the logic and thought process.

I am on the fence whether Ireland should return or not. I am really at the point in his tenure that I could take him or leave him, however what Jason Cole said is not crazy or out of line(surprising since Cole is usually a clown). Retaining Ireland for the 2013 does make sense with how the structure of the organization was built. Pretty sure Ireland got a "clean slate" when Sparano and Parcells were kicked out the door and Cole is right that he finally got the quarterback to build around. On top of that the team has far surpassed the national expectations for this season and are still alive for the postseason going into Week 16. It would be a major upset if Ireland is not back in 2013.

I am not an Ireland guy and think they should have cleaned house at the end of the 2010 season. However, at the same time, it is not simply a crazy idea to keep him. I can understand the logic and thought process.

Also, I might add, that a lot of folks seem to think the GM makes his decisions in a vacuum, when they don't. The coaching staff plays a huge role in who we sign as a free agent and in the draft. Ireland and Philbin seem to have a good working relationship. Lets give it some time before we churn things up again.

Oh, and I can't believe I am agreeing with Jason Cole! I guess the World is really going to end on 12/21/12. ;)

Letting Ireland stay is extremely risky for very little reward imo. I seriously think some of the more respected Finheaven posters could do as good a job as Ireland. If Ireland gives us a few of his status quo offseasons he could waste what turns out to be a good QB and coaching staff. But what if he gives us a few more offseasons that look like his last one and we basically roll with the crap we've had this season, and Irelands big signings are all cornfeds? What if Tannehill turns out to be a bust and all we have to show for Ireland is 7 really good 350 pound linemen?

This team is heading towards a black hole and Ireland has taken us to the threshold of the event horizon, two more offseasons like the last one and you can say hello to the LA Dolphins.

Letting Ireland stay is extremely risky for very little reward imo. I seriously think some of the more respected Finheaven posters could do as good a job as Ireland. If Ireland gives us a few of his status quo offseasons he could waste what turns out to be a good QB and coaching staff. But what if he gives us a few more offseasons that look like his last one and we basically roll with the crap we've had this season, and Irelands big signings are all cornfeds? What if Tannehill turns out to be a bust and all we have to show for Ireland is 7 really good 350 pound linemen?

This team is heading towards a black hole and Ireland has taken us to the threshold of the event horizon, two more offseasons like the last one and you can say hello to the LA Dolphins.

The Dolphins are better today and have a much brighter future, with or without Ireland, than they did at this point last year. I don't think think retaining Ireland for the 2013 season is the equivalent of going into a "black hole" or towards an "event horizon". Or any other terms like "apocalypse", "doomsday", etc. Or that retaining Ireland will equal the team moving to Los Angeles. All of that seems very drastic to assume because one man will retain his job in the Dolphins front office.

I don't really care if Ireland is fired or retained at this point, but I certainly understand the teams likely decision to keep him. Especially now that the team does have its quarteback in place, and surprise surprise, the team is still in the playoff race late in December. As much as we might hate the idea or not want to acknowledge it, but 2013 will be Ireland's 3rd true offseason in 100% control and 2nd building a team in the mold of what Joe Philbin wants. Sure he technically will be the GM for the 6th straight year but really only recently was he put in a situation to receive 100% of the blame and praise.

With that said, 2013 will be a make it or break it year for Jeff Ireland. It most definitely will be the playoffs in 2013 or hitting the road, assuming the team doesn't qualify for the 2012 postseason which they are still alive for. 10 total draft picks(5 in the first three rounds), $40+ million in cap space makes for a great opportunity for Ireland to help fast track to where they want this team to be. The fact that Ireland's contract expires after the 2013 season is another HUGE reason why it will be a make it or break it year for him.

The Dolphins are better today and have a much brighter future, with or without Ireland, than they did at this point last year. I don't think think retaining Ireland for the 2013 season is the equivalent of going into a "black hole" or towards an "event horizon". Or any other terms like "apocalypse", "doomsday", etc. Or that retaining Ireland will equal the team moving to Los Angeles. All of that seems very drastic to assume because one man will retain his job in the Dolphins front office.

I don't really care if Ireland is fired or retained at this point, but I certainly understand the teams likely decision to keep him. Especially now that the team does have its quarteback in place, and surprise surprise, the team is still in the playoff race late in December. As much as we might hate the idea or not want to acknowledge it, but 2013 will be Ireland's 3rd true offseason in 100% control and 2nd building a team in the mold of what Joe Philbin wants. Sure he technically will be the GM for the 6th straight year but really only recently was he put in a situation to receive 100% of the blame and praise.

With that said, 2013 will be a make it or break it year for Jeff Ireland. It most definitely will be the playoffs in 2013 or hitting the road, assuming the team doesn't qualify for the 2012 postseason which they are still alive for. 10 total draft picks(5 in the first three rounds), $40+ million in cap space makes for a great opportunity for Ireland to help fast track to where they want this team to be. The fact that Ireland's contract expires after the 2013 season is another HUGE reason why it will be a make it or break it year for him.

The team has been heading towards a black hole for long before Ireland got here. Its been a boring ground and pound rely on defense team for 15 years. We've drafted 1 probowl WR in 30 years. We haven't drafted a probowl skill player on defense in 15 years. Ross isn't going to keep buying up empty seats forever so the question is will the fans come to the game in order to see it or will they just forget about the Dolphins altogether if they aren't on TV.

If its true that Ireland has one more season to make the playoffs then he's a lame duck GM. Having a lame duck in a position of authority is never good. Lame ducks will do whats good for them in the short term, not whats good for the team over the long term. Players tend to quit under lame ducks, plus Ireland won't be allowed to negotiate contracts. Giving him one more year to do what he hasn't been able to do in 5 makes no sense.

I agree that the team appears to be heading in the right direction but sometimes appearances can be deceiving. See Sanchez and Rex Ryan.

it was a good intervuew I agree with him and so does Ross.

Actually, I agree 100% with Jason Cole. It would be extremely foolish to fire him now. Let's see what the partnership of Philbin and Ireland can do.

I'm not saying its likely that the team could move but lets say the worst case scenario unfolds

-Ireland signs Long to a 5 year $100 million contract. Long plays like garbage the rest of his career
-Ireland does nothing to invigorate the fans by signing a big name free agent
-We draft a 2 guards and a DT with our first 3 picks
-Doesn't bring back our only playmaker and fan favorite Reggie Bush
-All of the playmakers drafted this year and last year are busts
-doesn't resign Hartline or Fasano
-Running Backs are all terrible. Wide receivers are all terrible. tight ends are all terrible. Corner backs are all terrible
-Pouncy and Soliai suffer season ending injuries week 1
-Tannehill regresses to Blaine Gabbert levels
-Philbin loses the locker room
-Ross stops buying the 30,000 tickets it takes to avoid blackouts
-Jacksonville drafts Jonny Football and becomes the greatest dynasty football has ever seen

The Dolphins are left without a single good player except for Wake and the salary cap is tied up for years. They aren't getting shown on TV locally anymore and the fans still refuse to show up.

I'm not saying its likely that the team could move but lets say the worst case scenario unfolds

-Ireland signs Long to a 5 year $100 million contract. Long plays like garbage the rest of his career
-Ireland does nothing to invigorate the fans by signing a big name free agent
-We draft a 2 guards and a DT with our first 3 picks
-Doesn't bring back our only playmaker and fan favorite Reggie Bush
-All of the playmakers drafted this year and last year are busts
-doesn't resign Hartline or Fasano
-Running Backs are all terrible. Wide receivers are all terrible. tight ends are all terrible. Corner backs are all terrible
-Pouncy and Soliai suffer season ending injuries week 1
-Tannehill regresses to Blaine Gabbert levels
-Philbin loses the locker room
-Ross stops buying the 30,000 tickets it takes to avoid blackouts
-Jacksonville drafts Jonny Football and becomes the greatest dynasty football has ever seen

The Dolphins are left without a single good player except for Wake and the salary cap is tied up for years. They aren't getting shown on TV locally anymore and the fans still refuse to show up.

wow, that's A LOT to go wrong, lol. imo, this past draft was Jeff Ireland's best and it was because of Philbin's influence. Whether Joe called for certain players or just gave Ireland what type of player to look for, they seem to work well together and I would like to see at least one more year.

You're absolutely clueless about moving the team. I hope you're being hypothetical and not serious.

You're absolutely clueless about moving the team. I hope you're being hypothetical and not serious.

I would bet dollars to donuts that some LA Rams fan said that exact same thing to a clueless idiot once upon a time...

In the history of the league, teams moving from one city to another isn't that uncommon.

I would bet dollars to donuts that some LA Rams fan said that exact same thing to a clueless idiot once upon a time...

In the history of the league, teams moving from one city to another isn't that uncommon.

Are the two franchises even comparable? Miami is linked to a prideful and unprecedented history, this team is going nowhere. It's not a coincidence that you are from out of town, it seems as if they're the only people spewing this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom