WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject, Dan Henning. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject, Dan Henning.

To sum this up for those of you that choose not to read it......

This is a very very long winded way to say the FO sucks and everything that goes wrong and the answer to all your complaints are the FO's fault.

It is? You obviously didnt read it. Im pretty sure I stated I think these guys are onto something.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. They believe in running the ball and playing tough defense. It starting to look like it could work out.

You should read and not browse. It only takes 5-10 minutes.

Have you ever heard the Blaise Pascal quote? -- "I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."

Moral of the story: Be careful of asking for time from others when they could more rightly ask it from you.

You should read and not browse. It only takes 5-10 minutes.

Nevertheless, based on your post, it seems you would rather have a different QB. Basically, as I pointed out in my thread, you are completely disagreeing with the philosophy of the FO on offense. The routes we run in the passing game, play to the strengths of the QB we drafted to fit the what the FO wants to do.

Not neccesarily. I think that Henne can make all the throws. With that said, our Philosophy is Parcells bash and ball control. I am fine with that as well. However, what is wrong with on third and long we have marshall run a sluggo, ect type route with max potect with a dump off option. I just wish that a couple times in third and long situations instead of a out route to the sideline, a TE screen, or a dump to RR in the flat we would throw one up. Let Marshall fight for a ball. Its not the fact that we are so conservative it is the fact that we are really bound to it. As a fan who has watched every game I know what is coming and so does the opponent. Draw plays work because teams don't run them all the time and they stretch the field. We don't. But I am not against your thread or ideas as a whole. I recognize our philosophy and respect it. But sometimes our tendancies have taken away any advantage that we have. Just a shot here and there.

There were multiple times during the Vikings game where I felt like a well-executed play-action pass would have been devastating and it seemed like it never came. I figured it was the reason why we brought Marshall in. I feel like we just got too conservative at points and I was thinking the 14 points just weren't going to cut it. Of course, it was enough...

It is? You obviously didnt read it. Im pretty sure I stated I think these guys are onto something.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. They believe in running the ball and playing tough defense. It starting to look like it could work out.

Well seeing that your responses to alot of people has a over tonne of bashing the FO I would say I nailed it pretty good.

Your opinion states Henne is only there to hold on to the football when he gets hit, lol! Funny how plenty of others believe he can become a franchise QB which has nothing to do with just "holding on" to the football.

I could go on but it's pointless, you hate the FO and are finding more creative ways to express those opinions.

I agree that passing the ball is a great way to get first downs and seal the game late.

However, let me know when we get the personel that is suited to do that. What we have is an OL that is built to run block, a QB who is big and strong so he dosent fumble when he gets sacked, has a strong arm, but isnt made to be Peyton Manning or Dan Marino who can disect a defense and make plays all by himself. If you havent noticed, almost all of Henne's throws are designed plays where he isnt given a lot of options. They give him very basic stuff.

Face it, Henne is meant to be a game manager but at the same time have a cannon who can make throws that require some mustard. He often stares his targets down and dosent execute all types of passing plays well. He isnt a decision maker guy back there.

But, thats the type of guy they wanted. Why? Because they wanted to be a power running team that controls the game and dosent turn the ball over. Thats why when we get in those situations, the idea isnt to run it 3 times and punt, the idea is to run it and get first downs.

So your problem sounds like its with the FO, the QB they chose, and the philosophy they have on offense.
I know Henne can make all the throws. Last year when we were playing from behind we saw that Henne could make all the throws and get the ball downfield. I understand they do want a game manager; however, I think that they are only keeping him as a game manager because they don't want to ruin his confidence. It makes sense. Run run run and throw the ball when you need to ( or are playing from behind) .. but use high percentage throws. This way, when Henne needs to bring us back, he has the confidence to do so because he has thrown mostly high percentage throws. They are playing him safe. We do have a bend but don't break defense, but if play like this everygame, the defense is going to inevitably "break" in a couple of games. PS I do trust the f/o and the offense, but our RBs are getting up there in age. We also have "the beast" as well as a couple other decent pass-catchers as well as RB who can catch the ball as well. We are going to have to find ways to put away teams on offense when our defense gives us the chance.. And by doing so ,we have to start passing the ball down the field. Did I mention we have the beast?

I cannot disagree with your observations. Here is something to think about. Do we have the stable of running backs we need to get the job done. Ronnie is injury prone and Ricky can get worn down as he is getting older. When Ronnie went down last year we were a different team. Ronnie is a talent but we need a 3rd durable back. You have to limit Ronnies touches to get him through a entire year. So with out that 3rd back you have to consider passing at least short passes a bit more to compensate. Bess is a weapon and has always been one. He should have had 2 more touches yesterday just to take the burden off the running game and put it on the short passing game. Sure I understand what you are saying about our FO etc but IMO you have to look in the rear view mirror sometimes in order to see where you are going.

In the first quarter we called a fullback run up the middle when it was 3rd and 18 i think. WTF was that? The only thing i could think was thaey were hoping to get close enough to kick a field goal but came up short and had to punt.
Did you see the one play where Bobby Carpenter stuffed Adrian Peterson? Sweet!

Very good write-up. Maybe it's just me being a Henne homer (watched since he was a freshmen at Michigan), but I think his progression has gotten much better. A lot of times I'll see his head turn right away to his checkdown and hit him quickly. Also he did have games last year where he did throw the ball all over the place (esp. patriots game). Do I think it plays to his best strenghts? No, but I also don't think he can't do. In the Titans and Texans game when we had to throw the ball by being down so much early, he handled it well (in texans we had a 70 yarder called back for a questionable tripping call). Really hit the nail on the head on the entire post. People wonder how we stayed in games with the saints and colts last year. Its really our style of play on offenses that allows to stay in a lot of games. Minimize possessions by both teams.

Well seeing that your responses to alot of people has a over tonne of bashing the FO I would say I nailed it pretty good.

Your opinion states Henne is only there to hold on to the football when he gets hit, lol! Funny how plenty of others believe he can become a franchise QB which has nothing to do with just "holding on" to the football.

I could go on but it's pointless, you hate the FO and are finding more creative ways to express those opinions.

Well, your agenda is obviously to hate on me.

But, let me say this. Yea, I was one of those who feels like in todays NFL the way to go is to get an elite QB who can sling it, have a running game that can be effective enough to set up play action passes and also provide just enough balance to not get your QB killed. Then on defense, if you can have that kind of offense you really dont even have to be dominant so long as you have a small group of players who can make game changing plays(sacks, fumbles, ints, and defensive scores as a result). I simply belief that is the best formula.

Obviously, our FO has a completely different idea. They want to run it and not throw INTs while having a dominant defense. My problem is that some of the offenses are so explosive in the league today, and with the rules more or less set up for the offense to have an advantage, its almost impossible to have a defense like that of the Ravens the year they won it all. It just seems really difficult to do. The league is also filled with QBs who even if you are running it well and controlling the game, if you dont put a big enough lead on them, they will ****ing burn your *** in the end. Thats all.

So while I disagree with the FO philosophy, it dosent mean I dislike them because of it. In fact, I can get with the idea of beating the **** out of the defense and running it 45 times a game. Im just not sure its possible to have the defense you need to have to make that successful to the point of winning enough games to get homefield in the playoffs.

Again, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If this FO's blueprint works out, then great. Im certainly hoping it does. And as it stands so far this season, they may just be on to something. Its not impossible that their methods could get us what we all desire, a world championship.

However, if they go 7-9 again, I can promise you I will be pissed. Just like I was that we went 7-9 last year. Whats wrong with that? Shouldnt we as fans be upset when we fail? 7-9 is not acceptable to me.

I know Henne can make all the throws. Last year when we were playing from behind we saw that Henne could make all the throws and get the ball downfield. I understand they do want a game manager; however, I think that they are only keeping him as a game manager because they don't want to ruin his confidence. It makes sense. Run run run and throw the ball when you need to ( or are playing from behind) .. but use high percentage throws. This way, when Henne needs to bring us back, he has the confidence to do so because he has thrown mostly high percentage throws. They are playing him safe. We do have a bend but don't break defense, but if play like this everygame, the defense is going to inevitably "break" in a couple of games. PS I do trust the f/o and the offense, but our RBs are getting up there in age. We also have "the beast" as well as a couple other decent pass-catchers as well as RB who can catch the ball as well. We are going to have to find ways to put away teams on offense when our defense gives us the chance.. And by doing so ,we have to start passing the ball down the field. Did I mention we have the beast?

Great post. Totally agree.

Side note: Isnt it great to see our defense make critical stops on money downs? Geez its refreshing. I remember when the dancing queen Jason Taylor and Zach were here, we ALWAYS seemed to give up the key 3rd and medium or 4th down to keep our D on the field and wind up losing games in the clutch. But, again, part of the reason our D was able to do this yesterday was the fact we had success running the ball in the first half and we stuck with the run in the 2nd half, despite not generating much yardage.
I guarantee Crowder would have hit the wrong hole on that 4th down

You do realize that it was the Wildcat, on our first offensive possession of the game, that got us into the redzone and setup our lone offensive TD, right?

P.S. WV - as much as I hate to say so, your post is right on the money. Well done.

P.P.S. Just wait until the offense catches up with the defense...

yeah hugo i realize that for like the first time in the last like 10 times we went to the cat we actually got something out of it...a first down and into the red zone...

big damn whoop...what about the other times we got into the redzone and the cat put henne in 3rd and long again...and again etc

the cat blows if you aren't gonna throw out of it to make them respect at least that element

Back
Top Bottom