WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject - NFL Replay System | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject - NFL Replay System

WVDolphan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This wasnt going to be the original topic for this week's "Get Real". However, I knew I wouldve had to discuss it as part of the post. Lets face it. Its the 1000 lb gorilla. After realizing it would take a while to discuss this aspect of what was going to be the original post, I figured I should just make two of them this week. So consider this a bonus "Get Real".

Also, as an added feature to the "Get Real" posts, Ive decided to include music from time to time. The selection wont necessarially have anything to do with the thread topic itself, just something for you to enjoy if you are so inclined since some of these posts take a few minutes to read. The music will typically kick *** though. This time, enjoy some Stones.....................

[video=youtube;1iHWKew1K1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHWKew1K1M&feature=related[/video]

As I was texting with some fellow posters towards the end of the game, one of them pointed to the fact that according to the rules, they got the call right. My response was well, they did what they were supposed to do after the replay according to the rules, yes. However, they didnt get the call right. Rapelisberger clearly fumbled the ball and the phins clearly recovered. So while they did what they had to do after the replay according to the rules, the call itself was still utter and complete HORSE****!

Basically, first and foremost, they blew the call in live play. If they had just gotten that right, which is what they shouldve done, none of this would an issue right now. Instead, the official ruled TD, the others didnt allow the play to complete in case it was a live ball, and the phins were robbed of possession of the ball at the 20 yard line.

But, what did get exposed, were some fundamental flaws with the replay system itself. And thats what were going to discuss. Obviously, the play and the call were complete horse****, as that has been established. So the questions are, what can the NFL do about it going forward. We have seen them be quick to correct an issue about hitting players in the helmet. I wonder if they care as much about getting the games officiated correctly?

First of all, there was supposed to be some kind of Hocculi rule in play after that douche blew the whistle too quick in that game a couple of years ago that cost a team a game. I have heard a lot of explaination about this over the past 24 hrs. There was talk of that amount of time it took to sort the pile and how possession couldnt be clearly demonstrated bs. I dont buy that anyway. It was clear to me the phins got the ball.

Also there has been the ole' the refs told everyone it was a TD, so people quit playing. Well ya know what, thats BS too. Any Steeler who had a chance at the ball was in there trying to get it. They couldnt. And for Rapelisberger to suggest he had the ball in the press conference and then gave up after the officials tapped him and told him it was a TD, tells me a lot about his character, as if we didnt already have an idea he was a lying POS. I mean really, is there a need to flat out lie about it? Its not like it matters. Its done and they arent going to make the teams play it over. So why even fabricate such a thing? Thats the kind of **** that makes me think even more he raped those girls. The last thing he should be wanting to do right now is tell obvious lies in front of cameras.

Finally on this part, I also heard Mike Francesa today on his show suggest the official who ruled TD, never even saw the fumble. Im thinking.....how the **** do you know? I have a hard time thinking the sideline official didnt see that ball come loose. I think he just felt it came loose after breaking the plane. He was wrong.

Anyway, a caller came on making a good point, suggesting they need not be so quick to rule TD. I believe the point he was trying to make, yet Francesa couldnt seem to understand it, was the ref shouldve erred(how do you spell that Vaark?) on the side of caution and just waited to rule TD(if he felt it was a TD) until they see who comes up with the ball. That way, he can rule TD after finding out who comes up with the ball, and then after Miami challenges it, if it were indeed a fumble, award them the ball should they recover(which they did).

And that wouldnt be a bad idea. However, the problem with that is this.......what happens when you come to a situation where a team is out of challenges or timeouts? What you would basically be doing is asking officials to be on top of that **** too, when they already have so much going on that they need to be focused on. And yes, the officials are supposed to know that stuff, but asking them to be concious of it while making live calls is a bit much. You cant ask them to make rulings a certain way live, knowing that a team will be able to challenge and the play turn out how it is supposed to go after replay. So the officials have to be able to just call it as they see it on the fly.

Also, if you suggest the officials always just rule it a fumble, knowing that if a player is down, or in the event of a TD, crossing the plane before fumbling, then you fall into an area where a lot of the replays are inconclusive on that **** and therefore the call would always be upheld as fumble. For instance, lets say that Rapelisberger play was inconclusive on replay. After all, it was close to being just that. Whatever they ruled on the field wouldve had to stand. So you cant have the officials always ruling fumble and letting it play out to see who recovers in the event that something is close to a fumble.

So based on all of this, there are a couple of things they can do to make this system much better. Im not sure it can ever be perfect, but I always feel if youre going to bother to do some ****, at least do it right. I mean the **** is important. I dont understand why the NCAA, who cant even determine a real champion, has a better replay system.

Option 1) And this is one I honestly wouldnt mind...........Scrap the replay altogether and go back to the old days. Sure the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, and whoever Favre plays for would get all the calls, but they do anyway. Most of them arent reviewable as it is. But, most importantly, we wouldnt have to hear that STUPID God damned song the phins play over the ****ing loudspeakers at Sun Life Stadium during replays. I would put a :lol: here, but Im not even ****ing joking. Stop playing that gay ****ing song. Play something that kicks ***. Dont play freeze frame either. Jesus Christ. Ya know, not all the music has to have anything to do with whats going on in the game ya know. Hell, dont play music at all. Just show hot chicks in the stands, shaking their ****, up on the jumbotron. Thats all ya need.

Also ya know no replay wasnt all that bad. We lived with BS calls for many years. We still live with them now. Just play the game. How bad would we like to have back those BS calls in that Chargers playoff game in 94? Natrone Means stepped out 2 different times before scoring that TD. Play on and quit wasting our time with all these god damned replays.

Option 2) Fix the system which is obviously flawed in many areas.

First of all, get rid of the god damned challenges. ****, if a call needs reviewed, review the thing and get it right. Why a coach should have to challenge the fact that an official cant see is beyond me. It kills me that they have to make these decisions. Its like they could know a call got screwed, but you have to decide if its worth using a challenge, even if you get it overturned. Why should the coaches have to worry about getting screwed later, so I wont challenge this **** up now? GET REAL.

Not only that, what happens when a ref blows a call, a coach challenges it, the coach is right, and yet they STILL BLOW IT after replay. Now instead of just getting screwed out of a play, the team loses a timeout as well thanks to bad officiating. Thats complete and utter horse****. No penalties for losing a challenge if youre going to have challenges.

But, just get rid of the challenges altogether. Use the college system. It is so much better.

Also, dont ****ing review every god damned close play. The whole process wastes so much time. Make a judgement, have someone looking at every play, and just go about doing your jobs. It makes things so much easier for the refs and coaches.

Quit taking so ****ing long to review ****. This is another reason I like the college system. Someone else looks at it, has seen it before play is even stopped to review, and has a good idea of whether or not a call needs overturned. I mean really, we sit at home and as soon as we see one replay, were like BOOM, decision. Its usually pretty clear on one view. What the **** takes so long? Get the call, be decisive on the ****, get the spot of the ball, down and distance etc, and ****ing play ball. 60 seconds is usually more than enough time. Like I said, usually it only takes one view to see it.

Finally, enough with the god damned drawn out explainations of your BS ref. ****ing Ed Hocculi and his god damned law degree started all of this ****. Here's a typical explaination these days......."After review, the receiver caught the ball, the ball hopped off his right hand, landed firmly in his left hand, he dragged both feet, the ball bounced back into his right hand, he maintained control, he got both feet in again, and stuffed the ball up his ***. However, in the process of going to the ground, the receiver farted, the nose of the ball came out like a turtle head, touched the ground, and his feet were out by this time. However, by rule, the nose of the ball can touch the ground, because it was in firm place and control of his *** cheeks, and even though he didnt retap his feet, by rule this is a catch".

WELL ****ING THANK YOU for that explanation. Thing is dip****, we already ****ing knew that. And we saw the god damned replay ourselves 18 ****ing times while the two ********s in the booth told us it wasnt a catch 3 times each and was a catch twice. All you need to say is this........"After review, the call on the field stands." Or "After review, the call on the field is overturned." Then give us the down and distance and quit wasting our ****ing time douche. You god damned refs are not celebrities. Nobody bought a ticket to the game to see you officiate OK!!!!!!!!!

**** Ed Hocculi.

FINALLY, after all of that, let me say this............

Fellow phins fans, STOP WHINING ABOUT THAT CALL!!!!!! You guys act like that call cost us the game. It didnt. For a couple of reasons.

1) Lets say they get the call right. Phins ball at the 20, 2:30 or so remaining, Steelers have 3 timeouts. We all know what is going to happen here.

Handoff for nothing....timeout Steelers. Handoff for nothing.....Timeout Steelers. 3rd down is either A) Incomplete, B) Intercepted, C) another run for no gain and a TO Steelers, or D) a short pass to Bess or dumpoff short of the 1st down marker. Phins punt.

Steelers get the ball with at least 2 minutes left and a timeout, or more than 2 minutes and no timeouts. From there the Steelers pull some straight bull**** out of their ***, probably include a miraculous play on a 4th down.

Eventually, at some point in the drive, ****ing Hines Ward catches a big play(25-30 yards or so) to set the Steelers up in FG range. After doing so, he does that stupid little dance thing he does where he kinda bends and sticks his *** out, looking like he wants to take it in the ***, and make you want to punch him in his god damned face. I ****ing hate Hines Ward. ****ing cheap shot artist. Ive never seen a guy get so much credit for being a good blocker when all he does is lay big hits on people in bad positions to get a cheap shot laid on them.

Steelers kick FG, BOOM, they win.

Dont act like you dont ****ing know thats what wouldve went down. So quit ****ing crying about it already.

2) The other reason that call didnt cost us the game, is that piss poor game management, play calling, and a QB who cant make plays did. Which is of course typical of this team and Ive been pointing it out for a couple years now.

If these clowns dont want Henne taking any chances at all and constantly settling for Sparano Specials(field goals) then why even ****ing play? If they dont trust the dude, why ****ing start him? You have to give the guy a chance. After that first turnover, OK get a FG. But, after the second one, you HAVE TO TRY and take a shot at the endzone. Another FG does us no good. **** 6-0. 3-0 is about the same. When you get the ball right there, you have to take a shot. I mean, we do have Brandon Marshall. After the first FG, whats the worst that can happen? An INT? Big deal, youre still only up one score if you settle for another Sparano Special. Take a ****ing shot *******. Hell, even if we take a sack there, were still in FG range from that spot. Unreal.

So those are the reason we lost. Not that call. So GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post. I love the "Sparano specials", but give credit where it's due. That's "Wanny specials" to you.

Finally, enough with the god damned drawn out explainations of your BS ref. ****ing Ed Hocculi and his god damned law degree started all of this ****. Here's a typical explaination these days......."After review, the receiver caught the ball, the ball hopped off his right hand, landed firmly in his left hand, he dragged both feet, the ball bounced back into his right hand, he maintained control, he got both feet in again, and stuffed the ball up his ***. However, in the process of going to the ground, the receiver farted, the nose of the ball came out like a turtle head, touched the ground, and his feet were out by this time. However, by rule, the nose of the ball can touch the ground, because it was in firm place and control of his *** cheeks, and even though he didnt retap his feet, by rule this is a catch".
:sidelol:

very good read man. i agree, the zebras ****in blow in the nfl. the thing that ticks me off is that we happened to get screwed in the most critical times of games. also, we rnt talking about judgement calls like pass int, holding, illegal contact, etc, we r talking about ****in plays that r ****in reviewed, and yet the refs still **** us over. i mean i can go over all the **** that has been called on us in the past few years, but the one that put me over the top was vs tenn last year in ot when camarillo pushed michael griffin bc he was on the ground but hadn't been touched, making him eligible to get up and run, and the whistle hadn't blown, so cam does the right thing and touches him, but the zebras flag him 15 yds for a personal foul when all he was doing is wat he was taught to do.

we all know the result was tenn does not gain a yard but get a gw 46 yd fg due to those 15 bull **** yds, and that loss changes our season.

i do agree that we did have many chances to win and we were not guaranteed to win despite that potential fumble, but the fact is, even with all the ****in **** our coaching staff does and plays for field goals, we still would of had a very good chance to pull out a much needed win to get us within 1 game of the division, and in the wildcard lead, but the ****in zebras.

Pretty good. I made a thread last night and it was basically about how the NFL was standing by the call because it was right as to the replay rules. I said this was BS. because the refs blew the call to begin with. How does a ref who is blocked from the ball run in and rule TD anyway.

Secondly. Sure you can say we would have lost anyway. We didn't deserve to win cause we kicked 5 fgs. But if the call is right we are ahead at that point. I have seen this team many times figure a way to ice the game in the 4 minute drill.

It is definately fair to say we had the lead and at that point and that we were 1 1st down from a win. And would have at worst forced them to cover 40 yds with no timeouts and 130 or so lefy against our d, which was decent Sunday, and make a pressure fg. Not saying that the call won or lost the game, but it sure did take away our advantage to ice the game vs us having to go 40+ yds and kick into the wind.

Good Post

And the last part of your post is what reasonable people have been preaching all week. If you purposely put yourself in a position where you arent in control of the game, a bad call or something will screw you a good percentage of the time

clear.gif

I agree 100%

this could also be titled the "truth"

great point regarding Henne if these guys don't trust him
why play him?

The question is should we trust Sparano/Ireland

pat white...Patrick turner

passing on DES Bryant & Earl Thomas
for Jarrod od"break"

Five pages by sun rise.

I doubt that many people bother to read the ****ing thing. After all, its quite a few paragraphs, and READING IS HARD!

But, Im sure some will come in just to hate. If they get to the end, or figure out that I suggest we likely lose even if the refs dont screw us there without reading the post, then they will have a problem with that.

But, dont act like we all havent seen that movie many times. You know god damned well we arent coming out throwing the ball and picking up 1st downs. They had all 3 timeouts. I can almost guarentee we punt to them.

Whether or not they get into FG range is maybe 50/50, but I wouldnt doubt it. Its the Steelers. If they need a BS call from the refs, or to pull some play out of their *** from Hines Ward, they will do it. To think otherwise, it would have to be your first year watching the NFL.

I will be happy if just a few people read the whole thing and find humor in a couple parts. Mainly, Id like to see some support for getting rid of that ****ing horrible song they play during the replays.

WV, if u dont mind telling us now, since u said u have 2 get real threads this week, wat might the second one include?

Overall performance of the team, coaches, FO so far this season. Titled "something is missing". I may try and crank it out tonight as well. But, damn that one took a while. I dont get paid for this ****. :lol: I need to get some sleep eventually too and I like responding to other posts.

Were obviously a pretty good team, yet something is missing. We cant seem to beat good teams, and honestly, thats what good teams do......beat other good teams sometimes.

WV

funny thing I posted in my thread "clean this sparano"

that something is missing I feel it's strategy game adjustments
even game planning nothing special

kinda here is what we do stop us except that's what you do
with immense talent not avg NFL players

Back
Top Bottom