WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject-Physically challenged 2nd round money bargains | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject-Physically challenged 2nd round money bargains

Note however he was casted off from his original team for a top 5 overall selection at QB who is definately a better player. Brees has been tremendous in his own right the last few years though.

This should SCREAM to any FO in the NFL, that if you want to put a team together, the first and foremost thing you need to do is get yourself a talented QB. It screams if you have the first overall selection and you dont have a QB, you probably want to consider that before selecting a lineman.

Guess the 2 QB's who have thrown for more then 5k yards? Dan Marino and Drew Brees. Now, i can understand you refusing to believe Drew Brees is the best QB not named Brady or P. Manning(as Nick Saban incorrectly, and utterly failed in doing so, decided that Drew Brees would never throw again- great coaching that), but Phillip Rivers is not as great as Brees. Brees would(most likely) have set the completion rating record for a season had his coach not insisted on sitting him. While Drew was devasted(being a baseball fan, he grew up idolizing Ted Williams), he understood the need of playing it safe for a ring. And he accomplished that. Phillip Rivers is on his way to being a MVP, but Drew Brees is the better player, even if Nick Saban utterly and completely failed to realize that. As far as having a franchise QB:

One major reason for that hope is the approach each team has taken with these signal-callers. The biggest question about young quarterbacks used to be obvious: Do you start them or do you sit them? But these current players are succeeding because their franchises have been more focused on other issues, such as: Does this quarterback really fit their needs? What kind of supporting cast can be put around him? How much patience is necessary to put the player on the path to success? Above all else, a team wants to know how resilient the kid is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread09/YoungQBs

Keep in mind, people interviewed for that article were individuals who drafted QB's high.

Ah, if only we all had the lack of faith to declare any chance of optimism(from a coaching staff you have supported when the team won then immediately unsupported when the team lost) then we all might jump in joy whenever a human being doesnt complete every single pass. Then again, youve shown you cheer for Miami Dolphin players getting injured.

The rest of the post was extremely amusing. You sit here and say: "We never should have drafted a left tackle!" and yet you turn around and say "Oh, well if Buffalo drafts the main/only QB he will go up there and die".

You cry for a call to arms.......then suggest if we can't get the top prospect(which we cannot. Buffalo isn't that inept into giving a division rival a franchise QB while they pass on it) then we should chill.

What exactly do you want? For us to not take a QB in the second round? Well, as its week 11, i would say thats a resounding mission accomplished. Should we trade everything at this moment? No? Why not? Oh, its the middle of the season. Then this thread is irrelevant.

I actually didn't think we gave up that much for Sanchez. We swapped first round picks and threw in a 2nd rounder, Abram Elam, Kenyon Coleman, and Brett Ratliff. That was it. Don't know where some people got the impression that we traded our entire draft. None of those guys would be starting for us right now. Coleman and Elam would be rotational players, Ratliff is a 3rd string QB. Would you trade your 1st rounder, a 2nd roudner, and 3 backups for a guy who you thought was a franchise QB? Seems like an easy decision to me.

Evaluating quarterbacks certainly isn't this regime's strongsuit, and it's the hardest position for NFL teams to get a bead on...

There's never been a quarterback in ANY draft that EVERYONE was sold on... selecting a quarterback boils down to gut feeling 100% of the time when the moment of truth arrives and you have 2 choices...

..turn the card in with the QB's name on it.. or pass...

While drafting a quarterback high in the 1st round and expecting him to come in be the face your franchise for the next decade and build your team around him is risky... there's also a lot of common sense involved... Nothing is a guarantee.. but there's certainly a blueprint established to give you the best ODDS of hitting on that quarterback you seek... and that blueprint is there because of past teams failures...

1. Stay away from "system" quarterbacks high in the 1st round at all costs...especially the one's that come out of the "gimmick" offenses... the more inflated his "stats" are, the more weary you need to be of him... You have to be careful here.. college football is FULL of offenses with these guys pulling the trigger...

2. Avoid the one year wonder... you want a guy with an established track record as a starter.. at the VERY minimum 2 years starting experience, preferrably 3... (Sanchez was the only exception I've ever made here.. I had him over Stafford)...

3. I'm not going to give away all my secrets... but intangibles, toughness, leadership, mechanics, competitiveness, accuracy, anticipation and the WILL to lead his overmatched teammates to victory consistently are all things that will show up over the long haul.... much moreso than anything you can measure with a stopwatch or measuring tape... or a Jugs Machine...
Henne matches most of your description. sounds easy. dolphins need to hire you.

This post annoys me. The logic behind it is majorly flawed.

The reality is that over a 10 year span of time there might be 5 elite QB that are available to draft in position one through 5 of the draft.

This year is a prime example as you have pointed out. IF a player comes out early - Luck - then the Bills will likely draft him.

But with the guaranteed money franchises must pay the risk on these NFL freshman is SO over the top.

Then factor in all the Ryan Leaf's, and Heath Shulers and Alex Smith's and lots of other busts that set franchises back for years.

And if you look at the past 10 Superbowl winners exactly 1/2 of those teams had top QB picks as their elite franchise head and 1/2 did not have TOP pick QB's piloting them to a win. And the SB losers the #'s are slightly less then 1/2 with TOP pick QB's.

Everyone wants one. But FACTS are, getting one is TOUGH and risky.

Just because it was clear to me that Pennington was the better player I also got it that the guy was one sack from being injured forever. And I was right on both counts - he was better then Henne and NOT durable.

Henne is a development player and could take the next steps possible to move his career down the road. Brees was this way at first. Sometimes it takes a player with the physical tools to go through an iteration or two before integrates at a higher level.

So I am dead against the Dolphins reaching for a QB that is way beyond our means. We must pick up the best available QBs in the off season and continue to keep and develop the players we have - Henne and Thigpen.

You can **** in one hand and wish in the other! Tell me what fills up quicker. This regime is not using a 1st for a QB, or getting us a speedy playmaker!

I agree with WV and despite who holds the #1 pick I would
in fact throw my entire draft at that team

if it's buffalo I bet they bit, I do this ofcourse for only
one QB....Andrew Luck he has all the qualitys
you want smart,talented led a team of lesser talent to success
might be the most NFL ready QB since Peyton Manning

now all that being said would Miami gamble ofcourse not

You know what else I see there, those are good teams. Should we compile a list of 1st round QB busts? I guarantee that list is much bigger. How many of those QB's survive on a mediocre to bad team? What if Sanchez doesn't have that D, or those receivers, or that O-line? The draft is a crap-shoot, drafting a QB in the first round is stupid if you have bigger needs, and there is no gurantee that if you select a QB in the 1st round that they will be successful.

You know what else I see there, those are good teams. Should we compile a list of 1st round QB busts? I guarantee that list is much bigger. How many of those QB's survive on a mediocre to bad team? What if Sanchez doesn't have that D, or those receivers, or that O-line? The draft is a crap-shoot, drafting a QB in the first round is stupid if you have bigger needs, and there is no gurantee that if you select a QB in the 1st round that they will be successful.
Most first round picks never live up to the hype. Thats not just QBs. Just because QBs may bust, you are against taking a risk on one and spending another decade in mediocrity? I figured our fans of all fans should know how important QB is.

try doing a study on the 2 starting qbs for every super bowl. i bet its not so one sided for having 1st round qbs.

most of the qbs on the OPs list came from the 2004 and 2008 drafts. there really hasnt been many great qbs that came out of the draft any other years. you get one here and there. so to say there is always great 1st round qbs available every year is way off.

also we just signed our 1st round drafted qb yesterday. how did he turn out?

I think this year we should pass on a QB and go with what we got next season. Continue to build your team with the best talent you can find out there. I really do not think either guy we have has the goods but what do I know. Give them two an open competition in camp and let the better man win. Maybe I'm wrong and get lucky and find our franchise QB on our roster but I'm not holding my breath. I think we are going have to have to bite the bullet at some point and reach for a top prospect for QB.

I also agree that we already have most of the pieces we need and QB is our biggest and most important need to fill. We also need at least 1 good RB. Throw some meat on the line. Look for a better TE. I agree about getting a good center and let our current center go back to playing his natural position on the interior. Don't forget we moved people and created a makeshift line this year because we lacked a center.

I'm not going to say you should not draft a LT in the 1st rd but I will say if you have a shot at a top prospect at QB and you need one you roll the dice on it, IMO. I think this crew saw a deep draft at QB and got a little arrogant and thought they could build a team around any QB they got. They think a little too highly of themselves. I am critical of both Ireland and Sporano in this regard but I do second guess myself and wonder how much of the team we have is Parcels. I'd like to know which decisions he overrode and which ones these two guys were on-board with.

I am willing to ride it out with Ireland and Sporano one more season and see what it brings us. Lets see what these two get done without the Parcel's albatross around their neck. I have to admit I dread the thought of changing staffs again too. We will never get a good team together until we find a good GM and I am not sold on this one yet.

To start, lets examine the teams at the top of the playoff chase this season, and see where their QB was selected in their respective drafts.

Jets - 1st round, traded up using almost all of their picks to select their QB 5th overall
Steelers - 1st round
Ravens - 1st round
Eagles - 1st round
Giants - 1st round
Falcons - 1st round
Saints - 2nd round
Good team, just along for the ride.
Better winning percentage without him this year. 3-1 without and 3-2 with (easily could be 1-4)
Finally looks like an NFL QB at the age of 30.
Played bad for the first few years. Hated by the fans until the Superbowl win.
You would have thrown him under the bus after his play last year.
Original team gave up on him too quickly. Goes to a better run team and wins the Superbowl.

Better winning percentage without him this year. 3-1 without and 3-2 with (easily could be 1-4)
Finally looks like an NFL QB at the age of 30.
Played bad for the first few years. Hated by the fans until the Superbowl win.
You would have thrown him under the bus after his play last year.
Original team gave up on him too quickly. Goes to a better run team and wins the Superbowl.
Yea, theyre all hot garbage.

****ing Saban passes on the best rated QB in the 05 draft, Aaron Rodgers to take a part time SEC RB and instead signs a journeyman who loves to put his head through cement walls. If Nickeypoo, as a pro coach was not the equivalent of your 2nd round mismatched bargain analogy, there'd be no impetus for these bouts of mental masturbation or bordering on restraint-order-worthy knob slobbery of QBs having no connection to The Fins. Fvuk that little azzhole; we're still paying the price for his ineptitude.

For note, Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round, so he essentially could be considered a 1st round pick.

We should have drafted Brady Quinn too, we would be set for years! Oh, wait a second.

Back
Top Bottom