WVDolphan's Get Real - Today's topic "QB, FA, and the draft" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's Get Real - Today's topic "QB, FA, and the draft"

Ok Ill bite what about RG3 blows . He had the second highest qb rating in country, was 4th in passing tds, number one in yards per attempt.
So the guy can play qb, He had 37 tds against 6 interceptions so he definately is not a turnover machine and he completed 72.4 percent of his passes,and lets not mention while doing this he also gained 699 yards rushing. Whether you like him or not he is unlike any player that has ever played the qb position in college, he was like Michael Vick crossed with Drew Brees in college. Baylor had no been to a Bowl games since 1994 and griffin led them to two straight, Baylor had not been ranked since 1986 and yes he led them to a top 15 ranking. This guy is a winner , great attitude, smart guy and skills galore. Mind you he did all this with not the most talented Baylor team who talentwise is not among the better big 12 teams. This guy has decent size at 6-2 can make all of the throws and is a tremendous leader on the field. if not for the very rare talent of Luck he would be the surefire first pick in this draft and would go 1st in most drafts.

If you want to make a point you dont think the amount to give up in trade is worth it I might buy that but to make a statement that RG3 blows is beyond silly.

This.............

Big 12 quarterbacks scare the heck out of me in general. That league pays no attention to pass defense, other than Texas, which makes a moderate attempt. It's been that way for 4-5 years minimum. I remember salivating to bet against the Big 12 in 2008 bowl games, after the league demonstrated the most inept group pass defense I'd seen in more than 2 decades of charting the stat nationally.

The Big 12 can get away with it because the vast majority of the nation no longer attacks short passes. Bubble screens waltz uncontested for 8-12 yards and the Big 12 was the first to grasp that it's like stealing. Throw them all day and when the safeties finally over commit, shoulder fake and drop a cheap lob over their head. That's 50% of the playbook for many Big 12 attacks. It can reach absurdity at times, the Big 12 quarterback so dependent on that approach they are offended when it's denied. Last season I was in hysterics during Baylor's bowl debacle against Illinois. Griffin threw the same bubble screens that he'd relied on all season and Illinois would have none of it. They butchered the plays for minimal gain or losses. At one point early in the game Griffin was so shook up by the unfair defensive tactics he threw an immediate screen that turned into a lateral. Illinois picked up the ball and ran it deep into Baylor territory. Griffin chased down the defender, tackled him by the headgear, and intentionally bumped him in the chest when both rose to their feet. Don't you understand you are supposed to leave my cute little bubble pass alone? It reminded me of Sam Bradford's stunned facial expressions when Florida wiped out short yardage bubble screens on vital plays during the 2008 BCS title game.

IMO, it's simply too much of an adjustment for a Big 12 quarterback to transition from picking on terrorized simplistic college defenses to life in the NFL. I suppose the law of averages will attach someday and a Big 12 quarterback will meet or exceed his draft ranking. But right now I'm content to downgrade all of them. Hasn't let me down recently. It's similar to Big 12 teams asked to face a top SEC defense, which destroy short passes. Check the pass defense stats this season. Alabama, South Carolina, LSU and Georgia were the top four, the only teams in the country to hold opponents below 100 passer rating. Hardly a coincidence that league dominates. Rutgers was fifth. It was hilarious to watch them toy with Big 12 Iowa State's short passing game as underdog in the bowl, thank you very much. Too darn bad Griffin was allowed to play a cupcake retreating Washington defense in this year's bowl, and not an SEC mauler.

Granted, Texas A&M and Tannehill didn't abuse the cheap short junk to the degree of the rest of the league. That may have been Sherman's undoing. Oklahoma State started the third quarter of that game with one relentless bubble screen after another. Alabama would have chewed them up and battered Weeden. A&M watched and caved.

Tannehill looks the part and makes some great pro style throws. I don't knock or discount Tannehill as much as I doubt Griffin will live up to his current billing. Notice I refuse to call him by the shorty nickname, which undoubtedly is partial cause for his popularity. Somehow it became fashionable to scrutinize Andrew Luck at every turn and whisper he's overrated, while Griffin is allowed to fall behind Oklahoma State 49-3 and woeful Kansas 24-3 but nobody says a word. The marquee win on another team's home field this season was 1 point in overtime at Kansas. Griffin won the Heisman almost solely due to the friendly schedule, no road games in the final weeks.

In those road games he's more likely to show off his dependable flaws, like turning his head when pressured up the middle, losing sight of receivers while frantically flailing sideways, often with the ball at waist level. Super hero types don't like annoying disturbance up the middle. Might soil the socks. Griffin is a video game type and I'm not confident he'll handle adversity well in the NFL. In the old NFL I'd scream it. In Tutu Goodell's pantyhose NFL admittedly you can't discount anybody who will work at it a moderate amount. In the Oklahoma State game Griffin threw a tantrum during the first half, after a botched play near the goal line. On another site weeks ago I posted that Griffin is a candidate for a Woody Hayes moment in the NFL. That might be an overstatement but I don't buy him as a cool customer. Unlike many fans who became aware of Griffin this season I've bet his games for years. Heck, he started from early 2008. Griffin whined many times, like twice after losses to Connecticut. I think he's a fair weather player in what has been a fair weather bubble screen league. Luck is the most solid guy imaginable, as witnessed by his comments after being denied the Heisman for a second straight year. Put Griffin in Luck's spot and I can almost guarantee some bitterness would have spilled, and been debated.

Griffin throws a lovely deep ball, no denying that. Dropped from the ceiling. But his release lengthens considerably on those throws and occasionally he can't get them off when pressured. The guy is asked to drop back and decipher the middle of the field perhaps 4-5 times per game. Everything else is based off the bubble screen-type plays, slants, and pump and go.

Here's a preseason evaluation of Robert Griffin:

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress....son-scouting-report-robert-griffin-qb-baylor/

I love preseason ratings, particularly for betting purposes, because they are an absolute gold mine. Everything tends to drift back to the beginning. My bowl betting system based on preseason ratings had another big year. In this case Griffin might be better than this guy's assessment, and he later updated it. But it's incredibly foolish to dismiss all the troubling aspects. I warned when we drafted Ronnie Brown that you couldn't obsess over the final games of his career, and combine numbers, while ignoring that great running backs by definition don't become 5th year seniors, players who were rated 2nd round until late their final year. The same holds true for Griffin. This is hardly a huge physical freak like Cam Newton, who I would have traded the world for. Newton started one season and became a revelation. Griffin is a long term known quantity who played early as a freshman and stayed in the lineup other than injury early as a sophomore. In fairness, although Griffin is hardly instinctive in the pocket and gives up far too many cheap sacks for an athlete of his caliber, he improved his escapability and downfield running confidence as this season progressed. After the 2009 injury he was noticeably gun shy in 2010.

:thanks:

This.............

:thanks:

so because no big12 qb's have suceeded this means rg3 wont, thats even more silly
i dont see one valid point that makes rg3 blow not one. tools wise griffin is so much better than cam although cam has perfect size

well might as well thrown in dallas, i can see jerry opening up a manning amusement park at the texas/louisiana border.

I mentioned them in the initial post of this thread. I see them as a very real possibility. Jerry Jones has already taken shots at Romo when he mentioned that the difference between his team and the Giants was Eli Manning. He is correct btw.

So what makes all these media guys think that Peyton isnt on Jones' radar? Im sure he feels that a healthy Peyton could put his team over the top. I doubt anyone wants to argue that Romo is the better QB.

If I were Dallas, I wouldnt have any problems telling Romo to sit or take a hike. Hell, its not like Romo is the youngest starter in the league himself. Id take 3 years of Peyton over 6 with Romo anyday. Besides, I think Romo has clearly shown at this point that Dallas is going nowhere near a SB title with him running the offense. Romo is above average. Peyton is an all time great. End of story.

Health aside, you forgot the biggest if of them all WV....if Manning even wants to play here in the first place. We can back up the brinks truck to the podium tomorrow but he may very well not want to come to Miami. You act like that's not even a possibility.

Health aside, you forgot the biggest if of them all WV....if Manning even wants to play here in the first place. We can back up the brinks truck to the podium tomorrow but he may very well not want to come to Miami. You act like that's not even a possibility.

No. Im pretty sure I mention that as a very real possibility. Thats why I also mention the slew of other teams that no one in the media seems to be mentioning.

Its the time of year when the phins are once again faced with the decision of what to do at the QB position. Its an annual tradition at this point. Most of you who have been following FH for a while now will be aware of the fact that when this topic is due to be discussed, WVDolphan is always right, and most everyone else is wrong. :lol: However this season is a little different. It seems that the correct move to make for the phins is so obvious that most everyone has it right. Nevertheless, there seems to be a few bird brains flying around who are a bit lost, so a Get Real thread is in order.

After examining all of the options available to the phins at QB, there is but one smart move to make. That is of course to IMMEDIATELY sign Peyton Manning upon his release tomorrow. Lets discuss the reasons why.......

1) He's Peyton ****ing MANNING! You have watched football the last dozen or so years right? That is all. :thanks:

Now lets look at some of the counter arguments to that and talk about why they either make zero sense or simply dont matter.......

1) He's coming off a serious injury and some surgeries......

Fair point. However, have I mentioned he's Peyton ****ing Manning? Were not talking about some run of the mill scrub like Matt Flynn here. Peyton Manning is an all time great. The guy can play. Even if he's 90% of what he was 3 years ago, he is still the QB we have needed for a while now. Guys this good just arent available through FA but once every 5-10 years. It takes a special circumstance for this to happen.

The only question about this injury is will the nerve regenerate so that he can have full function of his arm. From what I understand, its likely that it will. Again, even if it dosent, so long as it regenerates enough that he can throw with close to the same velocity and have full feeling in his arm and hands, it should be fine.

And besides, even if the nerve dosent heal, its worth the shot at signing the guy. I mean really, if we sign him and he cant be effective, what did we lose? A chance to pick up some bum at QB and go 7-9 again? Get real. Its time to ante up and get after it. Brett Favre played with nerve damage with the Jests and he blew down the stretch. They still had a decent season and were like 7-2 and in the mix till his arm gave out. And oh btw, a year after his nerve problem he played great in Minnesota and lead them to the NFC title game. Manning has had a full year off and should be fine for next season.

2) He's one big hit away from his career being over.....

This is probably the most stupid of all of the arguments. My response..... WHO ISNT? Its football. Mannings particular injury leaves him at no greater risk than any other QB in the league. His neck is fused. Its gold. And again, even if we sign him and he takes a huge hit and never plays again, its STILL WORTH taking the chance and signing him. Youre not going to find better options than Peyton Manning at QB through FA. The only better options you get are when you have the #1 overall pick and a solid QB is there for the taking. When that happens, try not to draft a LT OK.

3) He isnt a long term solution.......

Another stupid argument. Who is a long term solution? You mean like when you have the #1 overall pick? Well guess what...... we used that on a LT. Cant have that one back. The only long term solution this year is Andrew Luck and he is the only reason Manning will be available. We cant get Luck because we were too stupid to lose enough games. Sign Manning and WIN as many games as you can right now. If he plays well then you have a QB for a few years that gives you a chance. Then you dont have to worry about a QB again till you have to worry about a QB again. For this franchise that has been every year. Sign Manning and that may not happen for a few years for a change. Its as if the idea of contending frightens some fans around here.

Now lets examine the other "options" if you want to call them that......

1) Matt Flynn - He blows. Next.

This is what frightened the hell out of me about getting Philbin in the first place. Im tired of hearing about Philbin's offense. Last time I checked he was running Mike McCarthy's offense, not Joe Phibins. How in the hell is it his offense? Secondly, it wasnt Flynn. It was Aaron Rodgers. Green Bay wins with Rodgers running McCarthy's offense, not Flynn running Philbins.

2) RGIII - If you havent read Aswi's posts on this scrub, do yourself a favor. I wouldnt draft RGIII in the 7th round, much less trade up to get him. Watch him fall to whoever is foolish enough to draft him. I dont see anyone trading up to get him. Rams just draft your LT or Blackmon and be quiet.

After realizing that none of the other QBs available in FA are even as good as Matt Moore, the plan should be to sign Manning. If Manning dosent sign with us, then just roll with Moore and see what happens next season. There will be a handful of good QBs in the draft next year and maybe we can make a move for one then.

Lets also realize that while the desire to get Manning may be there, there is the possibility he chooses to go elsewhere on his own. I think a lot of people are failing to realize just how many teams will be smart enough to try and sign Manning. For those of you who think its limited to the teams who are being typically thrown out there...... GET REAL. Dont discount a team that hasnt even been discussed. A team like Philly for instance, would be really wise to upgrade their QB play and get Manning. I dont think its out of the question he would like to go there and throw it to D. Jackson. I see no reason why Dallas should get in the mix either. Tony who? Since when should those teams worry about who their starter is now? Their starters have done NOTHING for them. Peyton Manning is a huge upgrade to almost any team in the league. And why should a team like Dallas or Philly who has very mediocre to above average starters(Vick blows btw and stays injured) pass on Manning? They shouldnt. I dont believe for one second that their ownerships and GMs arent going to try and get in the mix for Manning even if they dont make it public. Its the god damned SHERIFF for christ sakes. Its not like Joe Flacco just got cut. Were talking about Peyton Manning.

Lets now discuss the draft.....

We have covered that RGIII blows, but its worth mentioning other QBs as many people believe even if the phins sign Manning that we should draft a QB. I say not necessarially. A lot of people like Tannehill and I think he could be ok. I do worry that he comes from the Big 12 to be honest, but my main problem is I just dont want to spend a 1st round pick on a QB unless he starts right away. I mean, if the guy is that good that you draft him in round 1, he is good enough to start IMHO and if you sign Manning, you dont need a starting QB. If you want to draft a project, fine. I would have no problem in round 4 or later taking a QB if we sign Manning. Thing is, as we all know, good QBs come in the first round, typically near the top. Bums are drafted in round 2 and beyond. Feel free to throw in the dozen or so exceptions to that rule that have existed in the 2 million years of football.

But, if you want to mention a few of those guys, I like Cousins a little bit and would take him. Prefereable not with a 2nd round pick though. Also, that kid from Arizona St. may have potential if you want to spend a later pick on him. Lastly, Kellen Moore is a winner and although they say he lacks the arm strength, I wouldnt count him out. Noodle arm lacked arm strength and yet all he did was win in the NFL.

So what would I do with our first round pick. Well if we sign Manning, Ive said this might not be a horrible year to go cornfed. I just dont really care for the idea of going OL in the top 10. Not my style. But, if we had to the kid from Stanford could be a good RT for us.

My preference would be trading down and stockpiling picks. A lot of people say that, problem is you cant just trade down because you want to. You have to have a trading parter. However the only way we may get that is if a player is there who I myself would take. Im saying right now if Richardson is there Id take him. RB is another position I hate going first round with, but this kid is a beast like no other. Teams like Cinci might be interested if he falls to 8, but I would take him myself. Richardson is a game changer.

Blackmon is also a guy I may take if he were to fall to 8. I dont see it happening, but if he did, he is just too good to pass up. I would definately take him if we are stuck with Matt Moore, but if we get Manning I would be inclined to deal the pick. Manning dosent need WRs. He makes them. Ever heard of Austin Collie? Plenty of people did before Manning was injured. Guy caught TDs left and right. Manning would make Hartline into a stud. Just add Reggie Wayne and we are set at WR with Manning at QB.

So that would be my draft plan along with looking for pass rushers and perhaps a safety. Of course Im always looking for pass rush, secondary, and offensive game changers. Thats the keys to the game in todays NFL. Get some of those things and dont be afraid to trade down and stock picks in next seasons draft in order to give us more ammo for when there is a good QB available that we could actually get. Luck is the only one worth getting this year aside from Manning and Luck just isnt happening.
if i can thank this post a thousand times i would.

you basically took the words right out of my mouth. although, i dont think rg3 blows. i deff wouldnt trade up what it would cost to get him, nor do i think hes guaranteed to be a star, but i wouldnt say he blows like you wouldnt draft in 7th round, but i know your exadirating to make a point their so i understand.

i was really waiting for this get real thread. their are people on this site that actually think flynn is going to be a good qb, and actually think he is an upgrade to moore without a doubt. dont get me wrong, no one is saying moore is the answer, and the people who want an upgrade thats totally understandable, but when they think matt flynn is that ****ing upgrade, thats when its taken to another level. he blows.

as for manning, the main topic of this thread, even if we got only 2-3 years of vintage manning, that can deff mean at least 1 superbowl, and who knows, maybe 2. i maybe getting a bit ahead of myself, but thats how ****ing good he is assuming he is healthy, which by all indications, he seems to be improving every day. also with manning, we can also get a 2 for 1 with wayne prob following him to south beach. imagine marshall wayne as a 1-2, bess would be a solid 3, hartline at 4, or vice versa, with bush coming out of the backfield. scary.

the miami dolphins become instant contenders if we are able to sign manning, something we have not been able to say in a long long time. manning is by far and its not even close the best qb out their even if hes only 85 percent. no brainer. get him fins.

please make these get real threads more often, they are great.

No. Im pretty sure I mention that as a very real possibility. Thats why I also mention the slew of other teams that no one in the media seems to be mentioning.

Yep, you did mention it. I must have missed that. My apologies.

if i can thank this post a thousand times i would.

you basically took the words right out of my mouth. although, i dont think rg3 blows. i deff wouldnt trade up what it would cost to get him, nor do i think hes guaranteed to be a star, but i wouldnt say he blows like you wouldnt draft in 7th round, but i know your exadirating to make a point their so i understand.

i was really waiting for this get real thread. their are people on this site that actually think flynn is going to be a good qb, and actually think he is an upgrade to moore without a doubt. dont get me wrong, no one is saying moore is the answer, and the people who want an upgrade thats totally understandable, but when they think matt flynn is that ****ing upgrade, thats when its taken to another level. he blows.

as for manning, the main topic of this thread, even if we got only 2-3 years of vintage manning, that can deff mean at least 1 superbowl, and who knows, maybe 2. i maybe getting a bit ahead of myself, but thats how ****ing good he is assuming he is healthy, which by all indications, he seems to be improving every day. also with manning, we can also get a 2 for 1 with wayne prob following him to south beach. imagine marshall wayne as a 1-2, bess would be a solid 3, hartline at 4, or vice versa, with bush coming out of the backfield. scary.

the miami dolphins become instant contenders if we are able to sign manning, something we have not been able to say in a long long time. manning is by far and its not even close the best qb out their even if hes only 85 percent. no brainer. get him fins.

please make these get real threads more often, they are great.

As much as I want Manning, I'd have to say the chances of him being "vintage Manning" are slim to none. He's 36 years old with 4 neck surgeries and limited feeling in his throwing arm. We may have to settle for 75% which is a lot better than what we've had for a long time. I just hope it's not like Marino's twilight years though.

peyton manning is a no brainer...but i think its gonna end up we're the bridesmaids once again...but frankly wv you missed the boat so damn hard on cam newton as a prospect i can't take your telling everyone how you're always right serious...

anyways...good read...

As much as I want Manning, I'd have to say the chances of him being "vintage Manning" are slim to none. He's 36 years old with 4 neck surgeries and limited feeling in his throwing arm. We may have to settle for 75% which is a lot better than what we've had for a long time. I just hope it's not like Marino's twilight years though.
ya your prob right, we prob wont see ''vintage'' manning, but as u said, even a 75 -80 percent manning is better than what we have had/or what we realistically can have this upcoming season. ill take it.

We seriously need to upgrade the TE position if we nab Manning. Fleener, Marshall, Wayne, Bush are some legit weapons and would put Manning in quite a poisition to do something special on O. Right now we NEED to find another pass rusher to be a legit contender.

I'd like for them to take a look at Jacob Tamme. When Dallas Clark was hurt a couple of years ago, Tamme stepped in very nicely. I don't think they missed a beat at all with him in there. Can't imagine he'd be that expensive.

the ony issue with manning at 75 percent is that the guy never had a great arm to begin with...so a 75 percent velocity peyton manning is dicey...thats probably along the lines of the broken wing chad pennington was sporting for us...

mannings got the best timing and accuracy and ball placement but the balls still got to have something on it...but there's also talk that manning may continue to improve to 100 percent no guarantee he's gonna peak at 80 percent or whatever

like i said chance i take...for 2012 at least...i'm betting on the nerve regeneration to continue...and i'm also betting on the flood gates opening with his suitors the moment he's released...so i would expect some heavy kicking of the tires here from a boatload of teams and not just the obvious ones

Back
Top Bottom