WVDolphan's Get Real - Week 9 Recap/Grades | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's Get Real - Week 9 Recap/Grades

These people in threads acting like we arent a good team all of the sudden are pissing me off. ****ing morons.

Were still a good team. We lost a tough game to a pretty good team on the road. Thats all. We will be 7-4 before you know it.
I'm sorry but even before this game we don't qualify as a good team we are mediocre. Good is you know a good team a perennial play off team. We haven't proved we are a good team and everyone in the NFL knows that. Lol look at the QB's we faced and team we beat (which are all mediocre). We have muchj to prove and too many holes to be considered good yet.

The legend of Jake Long is going to look a lot better than the reality. Looking back people are going to see the draft position and the pro bowls, it's going to look a lot rosier than the reality. The last few years we've blamed it on injury but his level of play was even lower than it is now.

I never had a problem with Sean Smith as a 2nd corner, but this idea people have been trying to sell that he's an elite leader of our secondary... it's time to put that bull**** to bed.

I think we played ok. I'm not torn up by this loss. Luck needed to go ham for them to win and he did. It highlighted the weakness that is our secondary. Not sure how we're going to cope with the Patsies.

Also, I don't have a problem with Philbin's TO on 4th and 15. That wasn't a throwaway TO. That play was the last real shot at the game. Considering how sloppy the last 3 downs were, Philbin obviously realized the team wasn't ready to convert. He played the flow of the game and made sure our best chance to win was approached correctly.

ALSO Olivier Vernon is going to be a star. Not just good. A star.

Well said. Jake Long is definitely going to have to take a cut if he wants to stay in Miami. I'd like to have him here in Miami after this season, but he's not playing nearly at the level he SHOULD be playing at. The whole OLine needs to step it up as a matter of fact.

I would've loved to see more of the running game as well. You can't give up on the rush so quickly especially in close games like these. I expect the running game to be heavily involved against the Titans at home next week.

The secondary needs help no doubt about it...they looked awful out there. A bad game by Sean Smith and company...hopefully this doesn't become a trend. Like you pointed out, the front 7 was good as usual. It's too bad we couldn't get a third down stop to save our lives. Ugh.

As tough to swallow as this game was, time to move on from this one. The Titans should be ready for an angry Miami Dolphins team at home. I'm not saying blowout, but I see us winning this game by a TD at least.

Jake Long isn't even close to being elite. All his pro bowls are a joke. His first one he got in as an alternate and then the rest was because of his name.

Tannehill played a decent game, but when the chips were down he failed. No turnovers kept us in the game, but just when it looked like Tannehill may lead a game winning or tying drive late in the game, he made a couple of horrible throws. That little dump off to Thomas on 2nd down is a play that must be hit. Thomas had an open field juke opportunity vs. a lone defender and a chance to gain a chunk of yardage. As well as Tannehill played in the 1st half, he was not good in the 2nd half.

Its Tannehill's fault he was getting killed on every other play?
Its Tannehill's fault that his line constantly jumped their own ****ing snap count on 3rd down?
Of course the dip****s here would place blame on the only player on this team worth a ****.

I'm not discouraged by this loss. Down 3 pts with a chance to win or at least kick a field goal to tie with 2 mins left. We were in position but failed to close. That's what happen earlier with the OT loses. The bad call on Thigpen's return did not help but we still had the ball in position to win or tie.

Great QB's love to be in that position. Tanny will get there sooner rather than later.

Its Tannehill's fault that his line constantly jumped their own ****ing snap count on 3rd down?
Of course the dip****s here would place blame on the only player on this team worth a ****.

It's a fact dude. He played good - until the 4th quarter. Andrew Luck took his team from the four yard line and got them a field goal. Tannehill couldn't get us into Colts territory. Not all his fault, but he could have made all of the awful play today a moot point with a GW drive.

Good write up WV, as ushe. I thought the game fell more on the secondary than the o-line only because of the 3rd and long nonsense, but they both blew so who cares.

I too wish Jake Long was Matt Ryan.

For years we have been saying that even if Jake Wrong is a HOF LT, it wasnt the correct pick, simply based off the importance of their positions. Well, it turns out that Matt Ryan is better at his position than Jake Wrong is at his.

If you had an objective non bias person who dosent care about the phins or the falcons rank the players in the NFL at QB and OL, Matt Ryan ranks higher on the list at QB than Jake Wrong does on the list of offensive linemen. Fact.

So the pick was more than just terrible because it was the wrong position to start building with. Ryan is a flat out better player than Long all the way around.

HOF LT my ass. I love how everyone assumed that. At this rate, Long will be lucky to keep making token pro bowls off of his name and draft position. He has no chance at the HOF. Matty Ice on the other hand...... if he adds a league MVP this year and starts winning playoff games as his career takes off, well he has an excellent shot at the HOF. Much better than Jake Wrong, thats for sure. I think Jake Wrong's contract is bigger too........... :bobdole:

Of course the dip****s who read this thread would think Im blaming Tannehill.

Get ****ing real dude. I dont blame Tannehill for this loss. Im simply saying when he had an opportunity to win the game, he failed.

This loss can be pinned directly on Jake Wrong and Sean Smith.

The bottom line is we were outcoached, we were flat and undisciplined for the first time this season. Have to give them credit for taking advantage of Pouncy's fake snap, you just know they warned the refs about it before the game and had their DE's taking off when he did it. Luck is confirmed beast. We need a playmaker somewhere in the secondary, that drop by Smith was embarrassingly bad. Did Clemmons play today, don't recall hearing his name a single time. Miller had one carry I think for 7 yards, whats he need to do to earn a few more carries a game?

God dam Colts fans are going to go at least another decade without knowing the misery of having a **** QB.

Good write up WV, as ushe. I thought the game fell more on the secondary than the o-line only because of the 3rd and long nonsense, but they both blew so who cares.

Totally agree that the secondary played worse, hence the grades, but I feel like the OL had a responsibility today to STEP UP and get the job done. They were really bad against a team they shouldve been able to physically dominate and give us a strong run game. We couldve won despite the secondary had they done so. Jake Wrong makes more money than all of the secondary combined.

everybody was so confident about this game or some thought there was no way miami should lose. But I was worried about this game. Not just because of luck and Wayne, but people talking about how the colts defense is weak on the run and pass or could be beat in the trenche and the stats or ranking of the colts D. But people forget, you cant always go by the numbers, especially for emotional games at home and when a team is very confident. Don't forget this was pagano first game back from his cancer, and then add the fact its home and they won the last game. I knew miami could play a colts team like the one that beat the packers and a colts defense overachieve and go all out and play reallly tough.

Brutal loss. Let me get right to the grades then I will discuss where this leaves us afterwards. Anything about a specific unit will be discussed in the grades.

Coaching Staff - C
This is the first time this year I find myself really dissapointed in Philbin. I have several issues in both gameplanning and game management.

I cant understand for the life of me why there was not a bigger emphasis on the run game today. The Colts had shown a vulnerability in run defense this season. 10 carries for Reggie is simply not enough. Granted the OL did a terrible job today, we still shouldve tried to set the tone more with the rushing attack. I know Thomas had a few carries as well, but we needed to make it a point to flex our muscle and impose our will in this game with the run.

I had a major problem with the TO calls at the end of the game. The horrible one was using our 2nd timeout when the clock was already stopped on 4th and 15. I know it was a critical play, but we had to save that TO to give us a chance in case we did not convert. Even though we only save 40 or 50 seconds, its still a chance. No need to call the TO there and put it all on that play. Yea, the Colts ran for the 1st down to put it away anyway, but you still dont call that TO.

I also didnt like how early Philbin used the first one on defense. Given that the Colts converted almost every 3rd down, I feel like it was important to wait until the next series of downs to call that first one, even if the clock runs. The reasoning is that once the clock gets inside 2 minutes, the Colts are not going to throw on 3rd down, they will run to force us to use the TO. When we took the first one at 3:30 or so, you know they are going to pass on 3rd down should we stop a 2nd down run. Granted, we did actually make a stop for once on 3rd down on that series, I wouldve waited to call that first timeout till the next series of defensive downs. But, this wasnt a big deal. The use of that 2nd timeout on a stopped clock on 4th and 15 was a bad one.

Lastly, for the first time this year I thought we were outcoached with the halftime adjustments. Our offense did almost nothing in the 2nd half. 3 points isnt enough in a game where your defense cant get off the field. That fact made it so much more important to establish the run in the 2nd half.

Quarterback - C

Tannehill played a decent game, but when the chips were down he failed. No turnovers kept us in the game, but just when it looked like Tannehill may lead a game winning or tying drive late in the game, he made a couple of horrible throws. That little dump off to Thomas on 2nd down is a play that must be hit. Thomas had an open field juke opportunity vs. a lone defender and a chance to gain a chunk of yardage. As well as Tannehill played in the 1st half, he was not good in the 2nd half.

OL - D

This is where we lost the game. I know the secondary was horrible, and I will get to them, but the OL FAILED miserably in this game. They allowed way too much pressure on the QB and FAILED to dominate up front in the rushing attack. This was where the game was winnable for the phins. Despite how well Luck played, if the offense had been able to sustain more drives, give the D some rest, and pound the Colts with the run, we win this game.

Jake Long can eat ****. After that he can take a ****ing walk on to the FA market. Im not even interested in hearing what contract he is looking for. Not only was he destroyed in pass protection, he made a couple of HUGE mental errors that lead to killing drives for us. Every speed rusher in the NFL OWNS Jake Wrong. Abraham and Freeney ALWAYS have huge games against this clown. Overrated. Overpaid. POS. If Jake Wrong was the leader he claimed to be, he wouldve stepped up when the new leadership came in and offered to restructure his deal and show his committment to this organization. He couldve taken less money, extended his deal, and put in some incentives like if he actually blocks a speed rusher, dosent have false starts, he gets bonuses etc etc... **** Jake WRONG!

RBs - B

These guys ran hard. Thomas has some nice looking efforts the last few weeks. Bush had a couple of good runs, but not his best day. He did average 4.1 per attempt, but didnt get enough touches, and skewed the numbers with that one big one out of 10 carries. He needs to show more explosion around the LOS.

WRs - B+

This unit had a pretty solid day. Bess and Hartline both played well. We have 4 pretty good receivers now.

DL - A

As always, the best unit on the team. Shut down the run game again today. I thought they got good pressure today despite what some may say. The problem was the opposing QB kept getting rid of the ball just before our defense got there and when he didnt, he made some brilliant subtle moves in the pocket to buy just enough time to make a play. He was very un-RG3 like. In other words, he played the position the way it is supposed to be played. That Luck kid is a great one. They are going to be very tough to beat year after year. We better get some really good players if were ever going to make it to the Super Bowl in the AFC in the future. Once Luck gets some better players..... wow.

LBs - B

This front 7 is great. A few missed tackles out there, but this unit had a pretty good game. Dansby has played very well lately.

DBs - F

Sean Smith returned to his old form today. Terribly misplaying balls in the air, dropping easy INTs..... you know.... typical Sean Smith ****. ****! This group was a ****ing disgrace today. And give Luck credit, as I stated in the DL portion, he was amazing today, but this secondary did all they could to help him out. I know a lot of those 3rd down conversions were a case of Luck buying himself time with moves in the pocket and finding open guys after an amount of time that no secondary can cover people, but some of it was just ****ing ridiculous. Too many times the DL wouldve gotten there had the secondary not allowed people to be open for Luck to get rid of the ball before we hit him. The TD pass to Hylton was an epic Sean Smith blunder. Luck had a couple of great throws that nobody could defend, but he threw plenty of passes that our secondary simply failed to make a play on. We have to get better personel in the secondary or we arent going to win the amount of games we need to win.

Special Teams - B

Vernon with another block. A nice return called back by a terrible flag. A good day for this group.

Officials - F

These officials were a god damned joke. That holding call on the big return that wouldve set us up at midfield was a killer. These guys couldnt even set the ****ing ball after a 5 yard penalty without 3 conferences and some cursing in the open mic. Also, that false start on Pouncey was a back breaker. Instead of 3rd and 5 it was 3rd and 15. Total horse****. Thats a move every center in the league makes after checking for the QB to be ready.

Big Picture..........

So where does this leave us? Well this one hurts. Were now 4 and 4. We have 5 home games left in our last 8. It takes a 5-3 minimum to get in the playoffs. However, with this loss to Indy, 9-7 might not do it. They have the tiebreak. The Chargers could be a factor at 9-7 as well. We may have to go 6-2 the rest of the way. If we play the way we have been, its still possible. After all, even Green Bay lost in Indy. They are a pretty good team and tough to beat in that building.

Looking at all the schedules, if we go 5-3 which is very possible, its almost a crapshoot as to whether we get in. 6-2 and its almost a lock. I still like our chances to get in, but its obvious at this point that if we are going to be able to beat teams with good QBs in the future, we have to get better players in the secondary.

That Jests loss might just be the one that does us in. I told you when it happened that thing would kill us. Just a huge loss. I almost feel like 5 wins is a lock the rest of the way, which is why being 5-3 right now would have us as gold. Hell, if we had beaten the Jests, I would like our chances to still win the division at 10-6 by splitting with NE. Now to win the division, we are going to have to sweep them. That is still possible however IMHO.

Looking at the Colts next 6 games, I think they get to 8-6. What they do with the last 2 games, I would have to look at their schedule. The Chargers have typically been a team that wins in December, so dont count them out. The Steelers will be there as well. These are the reasons 9 may not do it.

If we finish 9-7 and dont get in, its losing that Jests game which will be the killer. You just cant blow divisional games at home vs. bad teams like the Jests.

Andrew Luck is a ****ing beast. Tannehill looks like a good one, but its not a knock on him to say he is no Andrew Luck. A good battle by two really good young QBs. Meantime, the media was trying to hype up a matchup between two really bad teams with 2 really bad QBs in Washington vs. Carolina. The overhype bowl. Two terrible defenses, yet neither QB could do much scoring..... thats because they both blow. Luck vs. Tannehill will be the premier matchup in the AFC over the next decade.

Let me think if there is anything else about today's game Id like to mention before I close this out..........................:ponder:

**** Jake Wrong..... Tannehill failed when it counted......hmmmm...... **** Sean Smith........ Martin needs to improve....... Philbin let me down........... :ponder: Tony Sparano is a ****ing joke............. I guess thats it for now. Lets wrap this up.

Elsewhere in the NFL today.......

Bob Griffin the turd continued to look like ****, failing to get it done vs. Carolina who couldnt beat anyone lately. More average to bad numbers today for Griffin as the hype machine will hopefully start to die down. Shanahan came out in the post game today and stated their season is over and he is evaluating talent for next season.

Didnt the Redskins win like 6 games last year with John ****ing Beck and Rex Grossman playing QB? If this is the case, how is RG3 so awesome? They are like 3-6 now and just lost to the ****ing Panthers. That team is of course lead by another bust of a QB in Scam Newton. He's terrible.

Like I said before, the Redskins will never win **** Bob Griffin at QB. Hype him up all you want. Luck and Tannehill have proven to be the best QBs of this draft. Luck already has 5 wins with a team that won like 1 game last year. RG3 for rookie of the year.......... GET REAL.

Also tonight, MATTY ICE will lead his UNDEFEATED Atlanta Falcons against another big hype machine known as the Cowboys. Can Matty Ice go to 8-0 and stay neck and neck with The Sheriff in the MVP race?

Tough loss today, bus STILL............ PHINS UP!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the biggest issue for me. I said to a friend at halftime that this would be the difference in the game, and as you said, our coaches didn't get it done.

I agree with most of your post, but I do think the DL grade is a little high. I felt like I was constantly screaming at the tv for them to put their hands up anytime they got near Luck. Granted, he did an outstanding job of keeping the play alive, but I saw multiple times that a ball could've been batted down.

One other point - and I'm not trying to make excuses - but I wonder if Wake was a little more vocal with the refs that he might get more calls... I thought he was held on the TD to Wayne, among others.

Back
Top Bottom