X. Howard Evaluation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SF Dolphin Fan, Nov 14, 2017.

1. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I don't want to pick on one player. The loss to Carolina was a team loss, disappointing in almost every way.

But, I have noticed that X. Howard doesn't seem to be locating the ball very well and opposing quarterbacks are throwing in his area with a lot of confidence. Now, let me first say I've watched only the nationally televised games this year --- New Orleans, New York Jets, Oakland and Carolina. So I haven't seen all the tape out there on Howard and want opinions from those of you who have.

Howard seems to have good coverage, sometimes great coverage, but then doesn't look for the ball leading to a lot of big plays. Has anyone else noticed this?

Howard is a young player so maybe this is a coaching issue, or maybe I'm off base. Opinions?

Dolfan5000 likes this.
  2. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Well you said it best, he is a young player.

3. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

He seems like he's regressing this season.

4. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

I think that hate has been a little overblown, but he's certainly not playing very well. Still shows the range and potential, but way too many penalties and he's not doing a good job of stopping passes that he's actually in decent coverage on.

Avigatorx, rickd13 and Michael Scott like this.
  5. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

This is an example of yet another player overrated by the fans, he wasn't really good last year, yes he showed promise but not nearly enough for everyone to assume he would take this giant step in year 2. Tankersley has shown more in his 7 games played than Howard did last year.

6. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

I was going to start a thread about this. I would look to move him in the offseason and bring in vet like Sherman so Tank and Lippett can learn from him. Let's be honest he hasn't been bright spot all. At Tank has had him moments this season or I can remember he did something to help the D. I can't say the same of Howard.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  7. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

I watched his Baylor tapes while I was watching film of the ‘16 Draftees and I noticed two things:

1.) He is extremely inconsistent, would have one good-great play, but then get burnt the next few.

2.) He was extremely handsy. Always grabbed. Always. Got called for quiet a few PIs & Holding calls at Baylor.

I was pretty livid when we traded up for him, but we’ll see if he proves me wrong, which I hope he does, but I’m just seeing the same Xavien I did at Baylor.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Avigatorx, Stoobz and Michael Scott like this.
  8. Alex Thrasher

Alex Thrasher FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It was more the offseason reports than the fans. Everything that was said about Howard before the season started was about how he was locking guys down in practice and looked like a shutdown corner. The thing is we didn't expect that offense he was locking down to be the worst in the NFL.

maralieus likes this.
  9. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I think overall, Howard has had pretty good coverage most games. He shows some mental lapses at times still, and I think some of the flags thrown on him have been very iffy / especially when you see in the same game our receivers being mugged around. It feels like the refs key in on him now that "he has that reputation"

Dolfan5000 likes this.
  10. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Young player with a lot of promise that I'm sure the Dolphins will depreciate with terrible coaching. Then he'll go elsewhere and become decent to good.

11. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

I think you nailed it. The team as a whole has regressed due to poor coaching and scheme. We are almost always playing from behind and that puts intense pressure on the D. This combined with a DC who is in a position he shouldn't be in is the problem. I cannot put all the blame on the players, We are just a **** show of coaching.

12. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

I have to agree with a post I saw earlier saying Burke is going through serious learning pains and is likely out of his elements. There were a few plays last night that I with my amateur eyes were able to correctly guess from Carolina Offense. Most of which were based on down and distance and alignment. So how is it that a profession coordinator and players couldn't see certain things coming?

maralieus likes this.
  13. Philbins Potion

Philbins Potion New Member

There's some talent in there, but there is no way I believe this team can develop him.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

unfortunately the hype hasn't met the on field play yet...probably can say the same thing about dvp this year but the qb is holding him back in terms of consistency and missing 3 games with a high ankle doesn't help...but at least he flashes very high level play

x hasn't really flashed much truly high level stuff this year...

I still think bobby McCain who talks smack vs pretty much 4th and 5th wr type slots is the biggest weakness in the secondary though...how many balls they gonna drop where he gets smoked by guys he has to shut down?

Avigatorx likes this.
  15. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Corners sometimes take time and our corners are not getting any help from the front 4 as far as pass rush. Having said that, Howard does not look like a #1 corner to me and at this point he doesn't even look like a #2. I hope he gets it together soon. Would hate to see that we missed on yet another high pick which we traded up for(T-dumb)

Ozzy rules!!

16. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I'm apparently seeing something else than everyone else on the planet. Howard was bad early on but the last 3 or 4 games he has been good from what I've seen. I didn't watch the last quarter and a half last night but I haven't seen him getting roasted. I thought he did an excellent job manned up on Julio Jones vs Atlanta, and there was one game where the ball never even went in his direction which tells me he was locking it down. We've been getting absolutely gashed by TE's and rb's... let's face it, our safeties are useless in coverage and that includes jones, and we don't have any lbs who can cover either. Howard is far down the list of my worries on this defense.

Avigatorx and Jay131866 like this.
  17. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come Well-Known Member

PFF now ranks Xavien Howard as the 115th CB in the NFL out of 116 qualifying players.

Only Phillip gains of KC has a worse grade saving X from being the absolute worst CB in the NFL.

Oh! and remember, we traded up in the 2nd round to draft him.

Is there anyone left who doesn't want Chris Grier fired yesterday???

Stoobz likes this.
  18. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Very big let down year for me. I had high expectations. The big problem is that his biggest weaknesses that are standing out now are the same weaknesses that scouts pointed out with his college tape.

Tankersely has jumped him by miles as our best CB prospect going forward. He's a keeper. You can see the progression as difficult as it is to stand out on a bad team. He's been victimized by some very poor safety play, aside from a few rookie mistakes. He's penciled in as a starter in 2018.

If you're sitting on the board and the BPA is a CB, do you pass on an elite prospect because you already have Xavien Howard?

joenhre likes this.
  19. Kingdom Come

No, but you do pass if you consider Lippett's return and a good GM will be trying to sign a veteran CB like Patrick Robinson during free agency.

We may actually get a look at McTyre before this season ends.

I wouldn't mind seeing a CB poached from another team's practice squad either.

If they aren't going to play Vernon they might as well release him.

20. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If there is a silver lining, it's that fans at least see a number of backups/PS who MAY be able to start next year. Now Gase just has to give up on 'the season's not over' and see what's already on the roster. I don't expect any of them to light it up as Tank has, but give fans some evidence one way or the other.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I think you are more likely to see a cheap veteran nickel add than a early draft pick one

22. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

At this point just about any position could be the target with our first round pick in the 2018 draft thought I doubt they'd draft a DT considering we have Suh and the two rookies have looked good
    DE? Wake is almost done, Branch is average and Harris hasn't shown much
    LB? We have RM coming back from surgery, Timmons's not looking good lately, Alonzo looking like crap and Malauga is done after this year
    Corner? Other than Tank nothing's a sure thing there
    WR? If Landry leaves then is possible
    RB-We need a real starter now
    TE- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    O-line? Do we need to even talk about it?

It is that bad guys

Ozzy rules!!

SF Dolphin Fan and joenhre like this.
  23. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

That's a must. Cannot have McCain in the nickel next season. He's awful. I can't stand him either. He gets beat, receiver drops the ball, and he celebrates as if he did something.

joenhre and Stoobz like this.
  24. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Take the BPA. I’m hoping for a FS or LB. Fitzpatrick, James or Jefferson.

I’ll take Bradley Chubb too.

Hell I’ll take the corner from FSU or Louisville as well. Flat out lockdown guys. Jackson from Iowa is a beast too.

Michael Scott and joenhre like this.
  25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

they will give howard tank and lippett 2018 as the top 3 boundaries unless something falls in their lap...they are all young enough where they will bank on development and Miami has too many other fish to fry this offseason

but the nickel slot corner that I think is where they may target something...too much separation out of cuts and poor zone awareness

they also need to a better centerfield option than what's playing right now but they got a ton of money in safety so I doubt it...not enough range even in that 20 yard deep single safety look stuff we ran a ton of with McDonald...checks every physicality box off and he attacks the ball and play in front of him but not enough lateral range

Avigatorx and joenhre like this.
  26. stephins87

stephins87 Well-Known Member

I remember when we had guys that picked off passes, heck even Vontae with his 4 INT's a year is better than what we have these days. We don't have very good CB's. I'm not expecting Madison and Surtain to walk through that door, but we don't have anyone even close to that caliber.

27. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Xactly. People want to blow it up and start over as if that has some connection to reality. Pick 3-4 biggest needs on off-season and target those spots. Right now I suspect everyone is targeting OG and TE as two of them. CB may be on the list, but not high enough to do anything unless someone "falls in their lap." As for Howard, more often I see 'inconsistent.' To be fair, at times he has the #1 WR and other times he's in zone where I don't think he can thrive.

28. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

I remember the end of last season, and the defense gave up a lot of yards. I cannot see how you can say the defense has regressed. Further, WR were open frequently versus X last year, so again just do not understand your position. I do agree that the defense is playing poorly.

29. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

We need to draft a Coner #1 pick. Then work the Oline. I watched a boat load of replays and Howard weakness is a slant route. Plus has trouble locating the football. He ain’t a bust but I prefer him as a good nickel corner, Not starting material next year.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  30. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

You are aware that Sherman ruptured his Achilles tendon
    Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned
    if he needs the typical 11 month recovery time good luck

And a pesky little matter is Seattle will want draft pick/s
    and his salary will be huge and a huge risk coming off
    that type of injury

31. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I hate to say this but a pass rush might be a huge need next draft
    Wake is getting older(36 next year) add his $8.6 million cap hit but you'd save about $5 million
    with his release...Tough decision I'm glad I don't have to make

Harris playing opposite of Wake has shown very little
    Dion Jordan has the same amount of sacks as Harris this season
    but Harris has played 262 more snaps than Jordan

Hayes is a free agent next season and will be 33
    We rented him for almost $5 million this season
    He's played 43% of the defensive snaps

Branch isn't going anywhere with his cap hit/contract
    $10 million for 55% of the defensive snaps

Fede is a free agent

I just don't see a consistent pass rush with the above players
    Maybe not with our #1 pick since we have so many needs
    but we better find a pass rush real fast
    because lack of one is affecting our secondary

joenhre likes this.
  32. artdnj

Well we rank 29th through 32nd in the four defensive categories. That seems like regression to me considering we added better players. Not splitting hairs here we were bad last year we're bad this year. we certainly haven't improved... two shutouts already and three primetime blowouts

33. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

It's one of those years where it's one thing or another and we can't seem to get into a groove. Right now, I am not worried as much about wins as I am with seeing individual improvement and growth from our key players.

34. artdnj

Same story year in year out

35. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

In looking at things realistically Miami's defensive line, while decent, is definitely overrated. Suh is double-teamed on every play and there's no one who steps up to make plays. Look how easily Carolina took Suh out of the game. The Dolphins need another standout player on the defensive line that teams have to game plan for. In a perfect world, someone with speed and power.

Wake is still a great player, but he hasn't made as big of an impact this season. Harris is developing and hopefully will take off with more playing time and experience. Branch is a highly paid backup.

I'm 50/50 on Howard at corner. I know he's young, but it is so frustrating watching him get picked apart. I don't think the issue is his coverage as much as locating the ball. When he sees the receiver turning back for the ball, as an example, he should realize the ball is in the air. Maybe this is coachable. If not, I'd look to upgrade there.

36. Kingdom Come

Naaaayyyy my friend, it is thee who errors in dreams of thought.

Observe the Philidelphia Eagles_______________________

Sometimes ya just gotta whip it to pieces.

37. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Tankersely has elite ball skills, IMO. I'm actually surprised he doesn't have a pick yet, though nothing has hit him in the hands since the Saints game.

38. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

I can't believe he is the second to last rated CB by PFF. He can't be the second worst corner in the league. That would mean another 2nd round bust AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

When will it stop??

39. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

It’s because Miami hasn’t had elite players in such a long time and has had awful players for just as long, that mediocre to average players seem like players that are excelling and get overhyped by fans.

Snoop likes this.