Xavien Howard hoping for healthy second season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard hoping for healthy second season

Yeah, I forgot the abundance of talent on that defense....oh yeah, Kiko sucked, all the LBs sucks, the DB's suck, the dline sucked except for Wake and Suh, but the talent wasn't the issue at all. It is scheme, the magical 3-4 will fix all, even though that defense has come into and gone out of popularity several different times over the last 40 plus years, but yeah....

I'm pretty certain Miami could have had 12 players out there and still fielded a horrible defense.

We were horrific on D last year.

There's way too many variables to say it's one thing or another. (Opponent, Injuries, Scheme,etc..)

There's no denying that Jones is a game changer..Can he do it alone? Of course not

Having him back definitely will make us better.

To think otherwise is crazy.

If that's the case ,let's make a team of Finheaven members and use the same scheme and see how we do lol

Apparently, talent doesn't matter in this scheme.

When Jones went down, our schedule got a lot easier.

I know a lot don't like our scheme but come on..Talent means something especially when a premiere player like Reshad returns.

Who does fit our scheme then? Or is it just a waste to watch that side of the ball?

Not being a smarta$$, I just don't understand why the team would be so stupid to pick a scheme that guys like Reshad Jones coming back doesn't matter. (after paying him 35mil GTD)

Who else runs the wide-9?

Once again, just trying to get some knowledge. Not trying to be a dick

I hope Howard has learned the defense and his injury troubles are behind him. If so, he'll make a difference.

Yes!!

He showed a lot to me last year.

Mostly, he showed he wasn't one bit afraid to cover any receiver.

CB is a tough job for anyone especially a rookie from Baylor.

I see great things coming from him soon. IMO anyways

Not a talent issue? I'm not a true believer in the scheme just yet but I also know the talent has not been up to par in order to test that theory.

DT starters: Earl Mitchell & Jordan Phillips = 81% of defensive snaps
Starting LB's: Neville Hewitt, Spencer Paysinger & Donald Butler = 91% of the snaps

Baccari Rambo replacing an injured Rashad Jones?

Now add in a washed up Mario Williams and Jason Jones and that's not gonna cut it in any scheme for any team. bla...

rushing yards allowed stats don't tell the whole story.

Getting rid of Bacarri Rambo was the best move this team made since dumping Dallas Thomas.

These guys aren't in pads though so outside of qb health everything else is pretty much in one ear out the other.

I didn't see anybody mention this but Aikens is being tired at corner. Wasn't that his position in college?

I think it's fair to be an optimistic fan this year.

We just came off our best season in almost a decade, have a young talented team to go with a Head Coach mostly all of us will get behind.

Even Browns fans are optimistic.

That's part of being a fan. We actually have reasons this year IMO

Aikens is probably on his last leg. Going from strong safety size to corner is usually a ticket out of town.

I doubt he has the fluidity at that size unless he's cut a bunch of weight. Even then he always had stiff hips.

Behave children

Let's not get personal or call out other members guys or the posts will be deleted and this could lead to infractions.

Thanks for your cooperation

All I saw was excuses. Injuries, new rookies and/or vets at new positions, etc. will always be prevalent and reoccurring issues.
Blah ... you saw the answers. Are you still ticked because of the Kiko thing?

It is scheme, the magical 3-4 will fix all, even though that defense has come into and gone out of popularity several different times over the last 40 plus years, but yeah....

The reason it fell out of popularity was the use of strictly 2 gap techniques of the DL. Now days the 3-4 (along the 4-3 Under) features 4-3 Over principles of the one gap techniques up front and/or a hybrid of the two systems with the continued benefits of blitz confusion. Meanwhile nothing has changed with the 4-3 Over and offers very little in terms of disguise.

My preference is that we don't implement the wide nine as our base defense. If we want to sweep the Patriots, that cannot be our base. They will eat it up.

Jim Schwartz in Philly and us are the only two teams in the NFL that consider it a true definition for a full time defense.

Didn't it work in Detroit?

I could've sworn they had a good defense while Suh was there with Scwartz as head coach.

I could be wrong obviously.

I just find it totally idiotic if we're running a scheme that only hurts the talent on our team.

As much as I LOVE the Miami Dolphins, I'm not asking these questions to try to prove a point.

We ALL have a common interest and that's the Miami Dolphins winning football games!!

Didn't it work in Detroit?

I could've sworn they had a good defense while Suh was there with Scwartz as head coach.

Schwarts' defenses haven't been involved in a postseason victory since he was DC of Tennessee in '03 with a wild card win and lost the following week in the divisional round.

Suh have never won a playoff game and has been in this defensive system his entire career.

Plenty of times a potent offense has carried a defense in the regular season. That doesn't happen in the playoffs when talent gaps are narrowed b/w the units of both teams and the focus falls back on the fundamentals of football with defense and the running for a more balanced ball control offense.

Back
Top Bottom