You hate them but do you respect them | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You hate them but do you respect them

kpcane said:
I've only been following the Canes since I enrolled in 2002, and we played them my first 3 years. I don't know when the other 3 games were played, but 6 in a row, is 6 in a row.
You said you weren't concerned about Miami, and my point is, you should be.

Like I said I could careless, Two programs headed in very different directions. Not in the same conference and don't play every year. Don't care about da Canes.

NorthFloridaFin said:
I'm a die-hard Seminole fan, and the team I have the most respect for is probably Miami. Granted, we lose to them most of the time, but it is their fans who keep the rivalry level-headed. When we lose to Miami, you will probably hear trash-talk for about a week or so generally. Whereas, when we play Florida, I absolutely hate to lose to them because they have the most obnoxious fans in the universe. They do not shutup when they win, and they make up more excuses than I can think of when they lose.

:lol: I was thinking the exact same thing about FSU fans.

BTW, not all Gator fans are that way. :wink:

SpeedRush99 said:
Like I said I could careless, Two programs headed in very different directions. Not in the same conference and don't play every year. Don't care about da Canes.

Tell me again how we're headed in different directions? Didn't you guys lose 3 conference games including South Carolina? At least we lost to ranked teams.
It always amuses me how teams like Florida and Notre Dame can have the exact same record as Miami, yet Florida and Notre Dame are both on the rise because of their first good recruiting classes in a decade. Miami is always building. We may not get the top recruits like Shockey, Portis, and Dorsey, but we turn out championships.
Talk about not caring about another team....how irrelevant are the Gators?

Skeet84 said:
Why should we be worried? this year you guys had problems with FSU who we killed! Then in the bowl game LSU Killed you and we lost to them by 4 points and you all played the back-up QB! Ha worried. in 08 You will fear the Names Brandon Spikes, Percy Harvin, and Tim Tebow!

Dude, stop comparing the teams that we play! When we play the Florida Gators we win, bottom line! It doesn't matter if we lose to Eastern Rhode Island State by 40, we're going to beat UF.

You know Chris Leak was actually a higher rated prospect than Tebow. I've never seen so much trash-talking from a team that has done so little to warrant the talking. You need to fill out that trophy case first.

kpcane said:
Dude, stop comparing the teams that we play! When we play the Florida Gators we win, bottom line! It doesn't matter if we lose to Eastern Rhode Island State by 40, we're going to beat UF.

You know Chris Leak was actually a higher rated prospect than Tebow. I've never seen so much trash-talking from a team that has done so little to warrant the talking. You need to fill out that trophy case first.

Wow! Chris Leak was not a better prospect than Tim Tebow. At least by Rivals.com. Yeah I am sorry if we don't have as many trophys as Miami that still has nothing to do with the present. You think cause Miami won in the past that makes them good now? The Gators play in the toughest confernce out there so it is alittle harder to go thru an entire season and not lose a game. We will have to wait and see in 08!

Skeet84 said:
Wow! Chris Leak was not a better prospect than Tim Tebow. At least by Rivals.com. Yeah I am sorry if we don't have as many trophys as Miami that still has nothing to do with the present. You think cause Miami won in the past that makes them good now? The Gators play in the toughest confernce out there so it is alittle harder to go thru an entire season and not lose a game. We will have to wait and see in 08!

I don't look at rivals, because scout.com has a much more user-friendly format. But now that I looked at it, they were both 5 star recruits, that were the 3rd QB in their class (Leak was behind Kyle Wright (2) and John David Booty (1)).

You're right you don't have trophys - you don't have anything except your mouths! Miami has always been great, and though we have a disappointing season by our standards, doesn't mean it was a disappointing year overall. I mean Florida looks at a 9-3 record as "on their way back".

I don't care what conference the Gators are in - until they beat the Canes, they're just a second rate team in this state.

kpcane said:
I don't look at rivals, because scout.com has a much more user-friendly format. But now that I looked at it, they were both 5 star recruits, that were the 3rd QB in their class (Leak was behind Kyle Wright (2) and John David Booty (1)).

You're right you don't have trophys - you don't have anything except your mouths! Miami has always been great, and though we have a disappointing season by our standards, doesn't mean it was a disappointing year overall. I mean Florida looks at a 9-3 record as "on their way back".

I don't care what conference the Gators are in - until they beat the Canes, they're just a second rate team in this state.

Second rate team in the State? Miami v.s. FSU than Florida v.s. FSU do you see the difference in the score of those games? I mean saying we are second rate in the state? I guess thats why we have the #1 recruiting class in the country!! I guess cause thats only second rate. You wanna talk about second rate than you should talk about your coach! Yeah it does not matter what confernce Florida is in blah blah blah well you can ignore the fact that we are in the Best Confernce ( SEC ) and that a team in that Confernce that we lost to by 4 points managed to beat you all by 34 with there back-up QB!! You said that your players did not try?? Ummmm that sounds second rate to me, But only time will tell and you hide behind the fact that you have won the last 6 cause thats not gunna help you in 08!

Miami-Thug U, well what can I say, I love the music that comes outa the school (7th floor crew) but since they ruined our chances for possibly 3 more NCs in the 80s

An OU fan calling anyone "Thug U" is comical.:D Miami didn't ruin OU's chance for anything in '85. OU still won the championship that year, after losing to the 'Canes.

Skeet84 said:
Second rate team in the State? Miami v.s. FSU than Florida v.s. FSU do you see the difference in the score of those games? I mean saying we are second rate in the state? I guess thats why we have the #1 recruiting class in the country!! I guess cause thats only second rate. You wanna talk about second rate than you should talk about your coach! Yeah it does not matter what confernce Florida is in blah blah blah well you can ignore the fact that we are in the Best Confernce ( SEC ) and that a team in that Confernce that we lost to by 4 points managed to beat you all by 34 with there back-up QB!! You said that your players did not try?? Ummmm that sounds second rate to me, But only time will tell and you hide behind the fact that you have won the last 6 cause thats not gunna help you in 08!

I'm really trying to figure out why you keep on bringing up the same points over and over...oh yeah that's because you have nothing else to say.
I'm no Larry Coker fan, but as far as him being second rate, all I have to say is, as far as national championships go, the tally is Larry Coker - 1, Urban Meyer - 0. And he's a lousy PI call away from 2. I'm not doubting Meyer, but I think it takes a lot of balls for a Florida fan to call out a coach who has won a national championship in the past 5 years.
I've acknowledged time and again that the SEC is the best conference, but you don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter what conference Miami or Florida is in, because when they play each other Miami wins, and until Florida can beat Miami, you're all talk. Highly touted recruits don't win national championships. 1 great recruiting class doesn't lift you above second rate status. I really don't care about Florida because they've always been so irrelevant, but I'll watch the game in '08. Can't say that I'm more excited about that game than the OU game, but I'm sure it'll be entertaining, just like the 2004 Peach Bowl.

kpcane said:
I'm really trying to figure out why you keep on bringing up the same points over and over...oh yeah that's because you have nothing else to say.
I'm no Larry Coker fan, but as far as him being second rate, all I have to say is, as far as national championships go, the tally is Larry Coker - 1, Urban Meyer - 0. And he's a lousy PI call away from 2. I'm not doubting Meyer, but I think it takes a lot of balls for a Florida fan to call out a coach who has won a national championship in the past 5 years.
I've acknowledged time and again that the SEC is the best conference, but you don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter what conference Miami or Florida is in, because when they play each other Miami wins, and until Florida can beat Miami, you're all talk. Highly touted recruits don't win national championships. 1 great recruiting class doesn't lift you above second rate status. I really don't care about Florida because they've always been so irrelevant, but I'll watch the game in '08. Can't say that I'm more excited about that game than the OU game, but I'm sure it'll be entertaining, just like the 2004 Peach Bowl.

Larry Coker won a National title thanks to Butch Davis and that team built of all stars. You could have coached that team to a National title. Yeah Miami did win that when they were in the Big East however its a different story now. Besides your crying about a PI call in the National championship still? Let it go you lost no matter what. I could cry about that so called loss to Miami when Miami was ranked number 1 and Florida was given zero chance and they were ahead by alot and there qb got a concussion. However I will not cry about the past just look at the present. I see a better Gator team with more talent and now a Good Coach in Urban Meyer who is still putting in his system. Like I said you can say you won six straight ( You bringing up the same point over and over again ) thats fine. We will find out in 08!

papafin said:
An OU fan calling anyone "Thug U" is comical.:D Miami didn't ruin OU's chance for anything in '85. OU still won the championship that year, after losing to the 'Canes.

im not sayin ever college is clean except Miami, we have had r share of thugs as well, but its "comical" for a Canes fan not to realize the reputation of Miami, and it isnt that good

EDIT: I cant tell if ur being sarcastic =] srry no harm meant also, if we hadnt loss to you the other 2 times we would had 2 more NCs

Skeet84 said:
Larry Coker won a National title thanks to Butch Davis and that team built of all stars. You could have coached that team to a National title. Yeah Miami did win that when they were in the Big East however its a different story now. Besides your crying about a PI call in the National championship still? Let it go you lost no matter what. I could cry about that so called loss to Miami when Miami was ranked number 1 and Florida was given zero chance and they were ahead by alot and there qb got a concussion. However I will not cry about the past just look at the present. I see a better Gator team with more talent and now a Good Coach in Urban Meyer who is still putting in his system. Like I said you can say you won six straight ( You bringing up the same point over and over again ) thats fine. We will find out in 08!

You're a terrible arguer.

later

im not sayin ever college is clean except Miami, we have had r share of thugs as well, but its "comical" for a Canes fan not to realize the reputation of Miami, and it isnt that good

I fully realize the extent of UM's reputation. The truth is, everyone hates a winner. Miami built their mystique on the pretense of being the badboys of college football. Those days, however, are long gone. Everyone loves to cast stones at Willie Williams, but the fact is that he's been in zero trouble since stepping foot on campus at Coral Gables. Coker and company took a big risk of damaging the school's reputation that Butch worked years to rebuild by signing Williams. It was a leap of faith, but the kid (so far) has done nothing to prove they made a bad decision.

Anyway, the point of the original post was to point out that OU was as renegade as ANYONE (if not moreso) during the '80's. Steroids, guns, drugs, you name it and it was happening in Norman. In fact, OU AND UM were generally grouped together as the "black hats" of college football in those days. OU got a small head start on UM in cleaning up their act, but they were no less "thuggish" in the heyday.

The biggest difference in the two programs (image-wise) was the scheduling. As an upstart (independent at that), Miami had to schedule a very national group of opponents to build their lore. OU was an established powerhouse who played in a power conference. Miami built legions of anti-fans through their games with the likes of ND, PSU, OU, Alababa, etc. People didn't want to see these "thugs" taking it to the traditional powers-that-be. The 8 year span between '83 and '91 (UM won 4 national championships) saw the national hatred for UM skyrocket. College football traditionalists hated them as much for the winning as the thuggery, and it was a lasting hate. The proof is in the pudding. People still hate Miami and refer to them as thugs, even though they've been as clean as any top notch program for 10 years now.

I know you're a young dude, but you seem pretty knowledgeable. Sorry for being long-winded, but I live in OKC and deal with uninformed Sooner fans on a daily basis, so I get a bit defensive about the subject. Also, I'm not inferring that you're uninformed, just that there is a cross section of Sooner fans (as there is with every fan base) who are, and live in close proximity to me.

Hope some of that made some sense to you.

kpcane said:
Tell me again how we're headed in different directions? Didn't you guys lose 3 conference games including South Carolina? At least we lost to ranked teams.
It always amuses me how teams like Florida and Notre Dame can have the exact same record as Miami, yet Florida and Notre Dame are both on the rise because of their first good recruiting classes in a decade. Miami is always building. We may not get the top recruits like Shockey, Portis, and Dorsey, but we turn out championships.
Talk about not caring about another team....how irrelevant are the Gators?
:boohoo:
Georgia Tech was ranked? Why are you so concerned about Gator fans not caring about your Canes? Most competent Cane fans here would agree that until you get rid of Coker your going no where. Your the one who started the trash talking just cause we don't care about your Canes. Get over it.

Back
Top Bottom