Your Pre-Combine REALISTIC top 5 at 14. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Pre-Combine REALISTIC top 5 at 14.

Man, if we draft Shaq Thompson, Philbin will have him playing special teams. Great athlete, bet he's an amazing gunner.

1. Kevin White
2. Melvin Gordon
3. Todd Gurley
4. Sammie Coates
5. DeVante Parker

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Man, if we draft Shaq Thompson, Philbin will have him playing special teams. Great athlete, bet he's an amazing gunner.

He's made a lot of plays on kickoff and punt coverage. Forced fumble in 2013 comes to mind (UCLA? honestly can't remember who it was against)

I'm surprised so many people have Shaq Thompson on their lists. Wouldn't drafting him send Jelani Jenkins to the bench? Is that really what we want to do with a 22 year-old fourth-rounder who's improving? Do people see Shaq as that good of a prospect where you limit one of your younger developing players? Not sure I do.

I'm surprised so many people have Shaq Thompson on their lists. Wouldn't drafting him send Jelani Jenkins to the bench? Is that really what we want to do with a 22 year-old fourth-rounder who's improving? Do people see Shaq as that good of a prospect where you limit one of your younger developing players? Not sure I do.

I agree...we have plenty of outside guys.

And Danny Shelton just looks like another Paul Soliai to me....something we could use.....but should be able to find later.

This team needs more playmakers for the red zone.

i think the guard route will be done in free agency and they ask shelley smith to take a cut and they count on billy turner...so i wont be spending much time on guard prospects til after i see what they do in free agency

but if it's me i'm not taking any oline at pick 14 unless the skill position top 20 grades are picked clean

Absolutely.....we will find guard/tackle depth later in the draft......a starting guard in free agency(Franklin?).

The defense has some major flaws…but Im looking to build this offense early in the draft. Plug some holes in FA, especially with a least one legitimate starting G. Then I want at least one WR and RB in the first 3 rounds. It some fantasy land we would get White at 14 and then trade back up into the late 1st or early 2nd and grab Gurley. A man can dream right

I put white over parker. a lot of it has to do with explosiveness.

Kevin White is just what the doctor ordered for this Miami team. He reminds me of a young Larry Fitzgerald. Putting him accross from Wallace, if he stays, and Landry in the slot would be dangerous. Tannehill would surely throw 35 TD's.

Landon Collins will be the guy that Dennis Hickey most likely favors. However I am not positive that Kevin Coyle will agree.

In his history, Coyle tends to like veteran safeties with skins on the wall. The reason for that is how critical communication is in Coyle's defense. He comes into games with upwards of 75 plays on the call sheet. Some people complain about that, think it's too complicated. The complexity has a tendency to keep rookies and young players on the bench.

Where you really see the complexity become a detriment is when we have injuries in the secondary, particularly at the safety positions. The Dolphins were a little lucky in 2012 and 2013 this way as Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones never missed a single game. The pair were together every game, just about every snap. But in 2014 when the Dolphins had to go four games without Reshad Jones (due to stupidity), and then another three games without Louis Delmas (which should have been predictable given his medical status at signing), that's when things started to fall apart.

The Dolphins defense allowed only 17.5 points per 60 minutes of play during all the time when Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas were on the field together, healthy and unsuspended. When Louis Delmas got hurt in the Baltimore game, from that moment on the average jumped up to 38.7 points per 60 minutes. And during the four games that Reshad Jones missed due to injury, the average was 24.3 points per 60 minutes.

So you can bet safety is going to be a priority this off season. Does that mean they try and get Delmas back, torn ACL and all? I'm not so sure. I think Coyle will lobby for a veteran safety known for being smart and communicative. Dennis Hickey will probably prefer Landon Collins in the draft.

Between Kevin Coyle's being on thin ice and Landon Collins hailing from a pretty complex Alabama defense, I'd put my money on Hickey winning that battle, if Coyle even bothers to put up a fight. But that hypothesizes that Collins is even available at 14. He might not be.

I liked Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and thought Mark Barron was overrated. Landon Collins is likely better than both.

The five guys that will probably be on the board for Dennis Hickey at that 14 spot...I'd guess:

S Landon Collins, Alabama
DT Danny Shelton, Washington
WR Kevin White, West Virginia
OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
OL La'el Collins, LSU

The idea to me of a short list of five guys is not to come up with five guys that will all be available at pick 14. If you've got an accurate short list it should be 4 guys that end up taken before your pick and then the 5th guy ends up your pick.

Danny Shelton is getting a lot of press right now, for good reason. He's probably is going to go too high for Miami because of his 9.0 sacks which will give personnel people cover from the usual rationale as to why defensive tackles end up falling a bit.

Already people inside the Dolphins are comparing their situation to that of the Dallas Cowboys with Jason Garrett in terms of Joe Philbin's status as a head coach. Well, what happened to the Cowboys? They take Zack Martin in the 1st round, move him to guard, he becomes one of the best guards in the game, their ground game becomes dominant, they win 12 games and are now in the divisional round of the playoffs. Interior line play was a huge problem for the Dolphins in 2014. Rationalization will build for taking Brandon Scherff or La'el Collins and sliding them over to left guard.

Scherff in particular might be a little overrated at the moment, as I see people thinking of him as the type of tackle prospect that goes top 5. I think there are a fair number of teams that actually view him as a guard, and those don't go necessarily go top 5. He's an Iowa kid so Joe Philbin will be champing at the bit for him. I'm not saying he will definitely be available at 14 but I could see it happening. And if it doesn't I certainly could see them having interest in La'el Collins.

1. Kevin White
2. Danny Shelton
3. Davante Parker
4. Landon Collins
5. Tre Waynes

I just don't feel there is an offensive lineman in this year's draft that is worthy of a pick this high, espcially with all of the playmakers available.

Rd1. Kevin White WR WVU
Rd2. Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA
Rd3. Cody Prewitt FS Ole Miss

Unless we sign a FA to play the Mike, Kendricks is my guy in the 2nd round right now. There are some Safeties available in Free Agency like Delmas and McCourty. If we don't fix FS in FA, I like Prewitt in round 3. 3 picks and 3 starters that can make an impact.

Landon Collins will be the guy that Dennis Hickey most likely favors. However I am not positive that Kevin Coyle will agree.

In his history, Coyle tends to like veteran safeties with skins on the wall. The reason for that is how critical communication is in Coyle's defense. He comes into games with upwards of 75 plays on the call sheet. Some people complain about that, think it's too complicated. The complexity has a tendency to keep rookies and young players on the bench.

Where you really see the complexity become a detriment is when we have injuries in the secondary, particularly at the safety positions. The Dolphins were a little lucky in 2012 and 2013 this way as Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones never missed a single game. The pair were together every game, just about every snap. But in 2014 when the Dolphins had to go four games without Reshad Jones (due to stupidity), and then another three games without Louis Delmas (which should have been predictable given his medical status at signing), that's when things started to fall apart.

The Dolphins defense allowed only 17.5 points per 60 minutes of play during all the time when Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas were on the field together, healthy and unsuspended. When Louis Delmas got hurt in the Baltimore game, from that moment on the average jumped up to 38.7 points per 60 minutes. And during the four games that Reshad Jones missed due to injury, the average was 24.3 points per 60 minutes.

So you can bet safety is going to be a priority this off season. Does that mean they try and get Delmas back, torn ACL and all? I'm not so sure. I think Coyle will lobby for a veteran safety known for being smart and communicative. Dennis Hickey will probably prefer Landon Collins in the draft.

Between Kevin Coyle's being on thin ice and Landon Collins hailing from a pretty complex Alabama defense, I'd put my money on Hickey winning that battle, if Coyle even bothers to put up a fight. But that hypothesizes that Collins is even available at 14. He might not be.

I liked Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and thought Mark Barron was overrated. Landon Collins is likely better than both.

Not sure Collins is a great foil for Jones though. You'd really want someone with better coverage skills than Collins to sit deep. It's a thin enough draft for coverage safeties, by the looks. Prewitt is someone worth looking at for that reason. He's a better complement to Jones.

Back
Top Bottom