Your top 5 at #22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your top 5 at #22

Sons Of Shula

not a dull boy
☠️ Banned ☠️
Club Member
Reaction score
The prospects have been discussed, analyzed, hailed, and prosecuted. So who have you got? I don't want to know who you think the Dolphins will pick, I want to know who are your favorite targets for the Dolphins in the first round?

Short and sweet, here's who I favor for the Dolphin's first selection.

1. DE, Jordan Willis - "If you can't get home with the front 4, our defense is done for" - SOS. I really like how Willis' game translates to our defense. He is a wide set pass rusher who has modeled his game after Cameron Wake. He also tested as one of the top athletes at the combine for the edge position. He needs some development, such as his inside game, but overall he is one of the best fits for our attacking front.

2. S, Obi Melifonwu - Easily the 3rd best safety in the draft and another great fit for our defense. Very good safeties can change the entire landscape of how a defense performs and Melifonwu would be a perfect compliment to our secondary as a Cover 2 safety in man or zone with experience at FS yet the skills to play CB. He has some technical flaws, tackling being one of them (and that's a concern), but he is an [STRIKE]exceptional athlete[/STRIKE]. Scratch that, he is a freak athlete. He is only one of four 3 Sigma Athletes currently in the NFL (Other 3: JJ Watt, Lane Johnson, and Byron Jones. Former: Calvin Johnson, Evan Mathis). I love his upside with character and a mental make-up to develop quickly.

3. DT/DE, Malik McDowell - Size, strength, versatility, natural tools. On the field McDowell is just about a complete product as a defensive lineman. As good as he is as a pass rusher in which he can beat blockers in a multitude of ways, he is even better as a run stopper and we all know how valuable that is needed. Biggest question that needs to be answered is if he can get cleared by our team psychologist. Hopefully Gase can turn the Dolphins into a solid character locker room where not only will one player not be able to disrupt the camaraderie but be happy to fall in line with it's success as well. Here's hoping because McDowell is a special defensive lineman.

4. DE, Derek Barnett - I have to admit he wasn't my favorite prospect at first glance but it's hard to argue with that production. One of the most polished and best all-around DE, Barnett is another high character player with a great work ethic. He is an effective edge defender vs the run, and is a highly disruptive, powerful, and productive pass rusher. Barnett does in fact play with heavy and active hands (despite my previous notion on limited tape) and is a day one starter who could easily displace our current weaker and limited ends.

5. ST, Jabrill Peppers - Just kidding, I would never take a developmental player in the first round. My 5th and final prospect is LB, Rueben Foster - A much maligned player for character and injury (concussion/shoulder) issues, but he's by far the best LB in the draft at one of the most difficult position (Mike) and is a three down player. First and foremost he was the leader of a great defense and made the defensive calls for them as well. Foster has outstanding S2S range, great pursuit, and is a violent tackler. He also has great feet and awareness in pass coverage who can drop/flip his hips to cover anywhere on the field. There's the 'Bama stigma that most defenders have reached their ceiling under Saban and their production will slide at the NFL level, but Foster is an elite backer who I think will flourish in the NFL should he remain healthy. Though that health question is large and looming.

1. Takkarist McKinley
2. Derek Barnett
3. Jordan Willis
4. Obi Melifonwu
5. Forrest Lamp

1-Jordan Willis
2- obi wan
3- lamp
4- jarrad Davis
5- buddha baker( I love this kid)

The prospects have been discussed, analyzed, hailed, and prosecuted. So who have you got? I don't want to know who you think the Dolphins will pick, I want to know who are your favorite targets for the Dolphins in the first round?

Short and sweet, here's who I favor for the Dolphin's first selection.

1. DE, Jordan Willis - "If you can't get home with the front 4, our defense is done for" - SOS. I really like how Willis' game translates to our defense. He is a wide set pass rusher who has modeled his game after Cameron Wake. He also tested as one of the top athletes at the combine for the edge position. He needs some development, such as his inside game, but overall he is one of the best fits for our attacking front.

2. S, Obi Melifonwu - Easily the 3rd best safety in the draft and another great fit for our defense. Very good safeties can change the entire landscape of how a defense performs and Melifonwu would be a perfect compliment to our secondary as a Cover 2 safety in man or zone with experience at FS yet the skills to play CB. He has some technical flaws, tackling being one of them (and that's a concern), but he is an [STRIKE]exceptional athlete[/STRIKE]. Scratch that, he is a freak athlete. He is only one of four 3 Sigma Athletes currently in the NFL (Other 3: JJ Watt, Lane Johnson, and Byron Jones. Former: Calvin Johnson, Evan Mathis). I love his upside with character and a mental make-up to develop quickly.

3. DT/DE, Malik McDowell - Size, strength, versatility, natural tools. On the field McDowell is just about a complete product as a defensive lineman. As good as he is as a pass rusher in which he can beat blockers in a multitude of ways, he is even better as a run stopper and we all know how valuable that is needed. Biggest question that needs to be answered is if he can get cleared by our team psychologist. Hopefully Gase can turn the Dolphins into a solid character locker room where not only will one player not be able to disrupt the camaraderie but be happy to fall in line with it's success as well. Here's hoping because McDowell is a special defensive lineman.

4. DE, Derek Barnett - I have to admit he wasn't my favorite prospect at first glance but it's hard to argue with that production. One of the most polished and best all-around DE, Barnett is another high character player with a great work ethic. He is an effective edge defender vs the run, and is a highly disruptive, powerful, and productive pass rusher. Barnett does in fact play with heavy and active hands (despite my previous notion on limited tape) and is a day one starter who could easily displace our current weaker and limited ends.

5. ST, Jabrill Peppers - Just kidding, I would never take a developmental player in the first round. My 5th and final prospect is LB, Rueben Foster - A much maligned player for character and injury (concussion/shoulder) issues, but he's by far the best LB in the draft at one of the most difficult position (Mike) and is a three down player. First and foremost he was the leader of a great defense and made the defensive calls for them as well. Foster has outstanding S2S range, great pursuit, and is a violent tackler. He also has great feet and awareness in pass coverage who can drop/flip his hips to cover anywhere on the field. There's the 'Bama stigma that most defenders have reached their ceiling under Saban and their production will slide at the NFL level, but Foster is an elite backer who I think will flourish in the NFL should he remain healthy. Though that health question is large and looming.
Of these 5, the ones the Dolphins have been known to meet with are Willis (combine), McDowell (private workout), Melifunwo (private workout), and Foster (private workout but I thought he's currently injured).

I'm good with these. Are Taco Charlton and Charles Harris on your fringe list?

1. Reddick
2. Davis
3. Willis
4. Obi
5. Lamp

The problem is that the BPA in college might not be the BPA in the NFL. They might be college football stars and never shine in the NFL (Trent Richardson, Dion Jordan, Manziel, etc..)

I would rather draft by need (LB, G, S, DE, DT, CB)

1. Reuben Foster, LB
2. Hassan Reddick, LB
3. Derek Barnett, DE
4. Charles Harris, DE
5. Taco Charlton, DE

Of these 5, the ones the Dolphins have been known to meet with are Willis (combine), McDowell (private workout), Melifunwo (private workout), and Foster (private workout but I thought he's currently injured).

I'm good with these. Are Taco Charlton and Charles Harris on your fringe list?

I don't like either of them early, TBH.

I also see quite a few others placing Reddick on their top 5. I completely agree and would love to get my hands on such a versatile LB, I just don't see him lasting beyond the top 15. But this draft is as unpredictable as any and would certainly be thrilled with his selection.

1. DE Jordan Willis
2. OLB Hasson Reddick
3. DT/DE Malik McDowell
4. CB/S? Chidobe Awuzie
5. OL Forrest Lamp

Willis - looks like a great fit for our D and his skills translate beyond scheme
Barnett - love his production
McDowell -if we pick him, I assume Gase has MSU connections saying that he won't sh*t the bed in the locker room. Suh and Wake would provide good veteran presence to keep him in line too
Reddick - coverage LB that could translate to more in different schemes is appealing
Peppers - I think he'll be a good pro. I'd use him in the slot intially and blitz him a lot. We do blitz a db out of the nickel a fair amount. Groom him to be safety next to Jones (I dont like it but we have interchangeable safeties). Use him on returns. I dont see him as the "project" that SoS does. I think we get decent value out of him year 1 as slot and returner.

Willis - looks like a great fit for our D and his skills translate beyond scheme
Barnett - love his production
McDowell -if we pick him, I assume Gase has MSU connections saying that he won't sh*t the bed in the locker room. Suh and Wake would provide good veteran presence to keep him in line too
Reddick - coverage LB that could translate to more in different schemes is appealing
Peppers - I think he'll be a good pro. I'd use him in the slot intially and blitz him a lot. We do blitz a db out of the nickel a fair amount. Groom him to be safety next to Jones (I dont like it but we have interchangeable safeties). Use him on returns. I dont see him as the "project" that SoS does. I think we get decent value out of him year 1 as slot and returner.

I have put the project on hold due to the draft and the large amount of time following it to complete it, but I have been charting our defense from last year and although it could change (Burke did say he would zone blitz less) we still only blitzed around 16% of the time on the limited games I have charted thus far.

1. Barnett
2. Foster
3. Davis
4. Cunningham
5. McMillan

Rd 2

Assuming none of those LBs fall ...

1. Williams
2. Walker
3. Peppers
4. Wilson
5. Watt