Zach Extension Not Looking Promising (merged w/other Zach threads) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Extension Not Looking Promising (merged w/other Zach threads)

e.vedder

Mexico loves da fins
Reaction score
any news about ZT contract

Those anybody here have any idea what hapend with the negotiation in the Zach Thomas contract????

They were expecting to signin before 28/feb

Any news????

The Miami Herald has an article...

about Zach's contract being at an impasse and therefore Ruddy and Perry are likely to be cut to get under the cap in time. No doubt there'll be a link to it on Finheaven's front page sooner or later.

Seems the guy at ESPN does know his cap cut facts after all.

Thomas contract talks at impasse
Dolphins vice president Rick Spielman said talks with Thomas and agent Drew Rosenhaus are not progressing. The sides have reached an impasse over how a contract would be structured.
this sucks
Thomas will count as $6.914 million against the salary cap this coming season, the last of his contract
we are screwed if that happens. And since we have no backup LBs worth anything, we cannot cut him either - not that that would be something that would the team psyche.

Zach Extension Not Looking Promising

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0221/1512249.html

I agree with what Blitzkrieg said in the other post. If he wants to help this team so much, he would take a paycut. He isn't as good as the 6.whatever mil we pay him a year and I hope we don't extend his contract for anywhere near that number. We don't need to pay one player a ton of money.

I'm also beginning to wonder if he's worth the pay of a top 5 MLB??? I just dont know anymore..... He's no spring chicken and that's a lot of cheddar to tie up in your MLB.

Be careful Breck, these Zach groupies are tough....

I wish they would just wake up and see what this guy is going ultimately cost us if he decides to not re-structure. Doing this, he can forget about any help for him at OLB....

PHINZ RULE!!!

:fire:

I"m with you on this one Blitz, if he's gonna talk the talk, he should walk the walk.

I can really never crucify a player for not wanting to give up 4 million, who am I to judge? However, if he doesn't extend he better shut his pie hole about not upgrading and continuing to lose.

Simple Reality...

regarding this whole Zach Thomas thing is that we have to wait and see. If next Friday comes, Zach has not signed an extension and we have to cut several players and are unable to sign marquee free agents, then we can start to really get on his case.

Till that point we just have to keep are knee jerk reactions in check...maybe we lowballed him...maybe he is being unreasonable...but until Perry and Ruddy are out of here or we can't sign a Gandy or Petigout it's too early to judge Zach.

That being said...if we get to that point, he deserves a lot of criticism, especially after opening his mouth about the team needing to get better. I wouldn't be adverse to considering other options.

He is not untouchable...and Spikes or Claiborne might be money better well spent.

Its not personal...it's just business.

Hes worth about 5 Million a year I would say, but he gets man handled by all the TE's because of his size. Brooking is considerably better than him.

I want to ask all of you a question here: If your company asked you to take a humongous pay cut for the coming year because they needed some help, but told you that they would backload your contract with tons of cash that you knew they were likely to never give you, would you do it? Of course you wouldn't and if you say that you would you're either high or dillusional.

In other words, why get down on the guy when he's not doing anything that any one of us would do? If they were offering him a guaranteed contract, like those given to some of the other guys who've extended recently, then you all might have an argument, but it's clear- in the ESPN artice- that the 'Fins aren't offering him that kind of contract and are really trying to low ball the guy for their own gain.

Finally, any of you who don't think ZT is worth it, I suggest you look around the league at some of the teams who don't have guys who are as active or who have a nose for the ball like Zach; their defenses generally suck. He's not only feared as a tackler but as a defensive field general who can spot the opposing team's plays eight out of ten times, and that is rare talent that's coveted by every single team out there.

If ZT leaves and two mediocre guys are put out there as a stop-gap, you will all see just how valuable this guy really is to this team. I hope that never happens.

Yes, but Expo, it's different than your company. You could care less what happens to your company as long as you make your money right? Well, in football it's a little different. These guys care to win, or at least we think they do. Some guys go to winning teams for less money. Our point is, if Zach keeps crying about not winning, then he should help the cause and take a pay cut. Besides, he isn't worth any more than 5 mil at all. I wouldn't give him anymore than 4.3 or so at the most. He is not an elite linebacker anymore. He is very good, but not elite. He can't cover guys out of the backfield or the tight end man up, and that is what our defense calls for him to do. Also, he isn't making any big play when it is needed which doesn't help the cause either.

Originally posted by Expo88
Finally, any of you who don't think ZT is worth it, I suggest you look around the league at some of the teams who don't have guys who are as active or who have a nose for the ball like Zach; their defenses generally suck.

He's not only feared as a tackler but as a defensive field general who can spot the opposing team's plays eight out of ten times, and that is rare talent that's coveted by every single team out there.

If ZT leaves and two mediocre guys are put out there as a stop-gap, you will all see just how valuable this guy really is to this team. I hope that never happens.

Personally Expo, I think your full of ****.

8 OUT OF 10 TIMES??.....Yeah right, where was that nose of his during the Ravens domination last year, and the Minnesota game, and the NE collapse ect. ect....???

Zach never stops the gap when he's singled up one on one with a solid RB coming at him....he get's buried. Two words : Travis Henry...

Field general???....This guy has hardly any leadership qualities at all. All he does is complain about everyone else but himself.....

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

Back
Top Bottom