Zach Extension Not Looking Promising (merged w/other Zach threads) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Extension Not Looking Promising (merged w/other Zach threads)

Re: Zach Extension Not Looking Promising

Originally posted by breckenridge55
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0221/1512249.html

I agree with what Blitzkrieg said in the other post. If he wants to help this team so much, he would take a paycut. He isn't as good as the 6.whatever mil we pay him a year and I hope we don't extend his contract for anywhere near that number. We don't need to pay one player a ton of money.

I think I know where this thread is going and before i read another post in it, I want to ask everyone here just one question, keeping it in perspective and all, and then I'll come back in a day or so and see what comes falling out the bag!! :)

How many ppl here makes or knows anyone that makes 166 grand a year ??

DD...........................................

Now you're getting personal A-hole. Just because you can't string together a logical argument based upon anything but your own ill informed, and obviously, jaded opinion, doesn't mean you need to start telling people they're full of s**t.

If you'd opne your ears and listen to what OTHER teams that face the guy have to say about him, then maybe you'd realize (not likely with your "my opinion is law" mentality) he's one of the more feared LB's in the game. Unfortunately, you've decided that you're going to launch a posting assault against ZT and everyone else who KNOWS he's a valuable member of the 'Fins, so you're probably not going to comprehend anything I just said.

Go on with your little "I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!" tyrade, it won't make one bit of difference in the FACTS (in this case those are the things that are based upon quantatative results, compiled by the NFL and not things-thank God- based upon some moron's opinion.)

:shark:

Expo...

the reality is that Zach might be real upset to learn what his true value would be on the open market...

just something to consider...

and I don't dislike Zach...I think he is a good player...
but I do think we have a tendency to overvalue him a bit.

Re: Re: Zach Extension Not Looking Promising

Originally posted by DeDolfan
I think I know where this thread is going and before i read another post in it, I want to ask everyone here just one question, keeping it in perspective and all, and then I'll come back in a day or so and see what comes falling out the bag!! :)

DD...........................................

I know two, and I'm not one of them.

I think hes a great LB, but is he unable to be replaced? I dont think so. What do you suggest we do if he refuses to negotiate and we are left with nothing to sign FAs with? That means no new WR, no OL help, no OLB help.

Re: Expo...

Originally posted by RHoffman
the reality is that Zach might be real upset to learn what his true value would be on the open market...

just something to consider...

and I don't dislike Zach...I think he is a good player...
but I do think we have a tendency to overvalue him a bit.

I'm basing my opinion on what we've all seen him do on the field, as well as the quantatative statistics that were compiled by ESPN this past season (I wish I could find them, but that was months ago.) I'm also basing this upon what most opponents have to say about him; he's feared.

In the 'Fins defensive scheme, a guy like ZT is a must so I don't think that there's a lot of over-valuing when you look at it from that perspective.

Sure, the guy gets a little hot under the collar some times and comes accross as a complainer in the media, but I've never heard anything but great things about him from his teammates and that's what really counts. He only spouts off when the team is in a duldrum and needs a kick in the a**.

Would he get huge bags of cash on the open market, who knows, his age might make some people think twice, but there's no denying that he's still one the best at his position in the entire NFL.

I know several people who make a 166 grand a year or more. Trust me if the company I worked for asked me to take a paycut, I would say no.

I don't know anyone that makes 166 large per year. I would not take a pay cut...but then again I make 33 grand per year. If I made 5 million and have been for several years and I was asked to take a pay cut that would still pay me millions on top of the millions I already have to help my team win the biggest game on the planet...I think I would do it. Just my $.02

Exactly conquered. Besides, what is Zach going to do with that extra cash anyways? Lol, I mean he would like extra money, but to make his team better which is what he is complaining about?

Before you convict Zach...WAIT!

I haven't heard anything from Zach yet. Drew Rosenhaus is heavily quoted.

Well anyone who lives in So. Florida can tell you about Ego-maniac Rosenhaus. He is trying to get the best deal for him and his player. He is the biggest leech on earth!!!!

Before it's done Zach will take the hit and do the right thing.

Talk of his release is way premature.

PS
The man is still a Pro Bowler. He deserves top five money. We have few stars as it is, we need to keep the playmekers we have.

And generally players DO cooperate with teams with this kind of thing and that is why they do it because the amounts are so large. But every player has a threshold they don't go beyond and its hard to criticize a player for having one.

Zach is excellent in our system in ways that not many other linebackers could be in our system. And he could be pretty good on another team even in another system. But he wouldn't be performing at the level that he is with us.

BUT, this is why Zach is set to get a signing bonus in the 7 figure range and not the 8 figure range. Ray Lewis got 19 million up front. Statistically speaking Zach and Ray Lewis consistently from year to year stay a head above the rest of the bozos at linebacker. We're getting near-Lewis production at a half-Lewis price. We should account ourselves lucky that we found a guy who is so talented the way we play ball but whose talents dont translate well to other systems.

Do we pay him by his value to us, or by his value to other teams? This is why they are at an impasse.

Re: Re: Zach Extension Not Looking Promising

I do, but I own the company. And if I needed to take a cut to help my business (team), I would. It's only logical. If you want to be successful, especially as part of a team, you have to make sacrifices.
I'm sure that this is all real premature, and I think this will get hashed out. I wouldn't expect ZT to just go with whatever they throw at him. And vice-versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the hard truth is that Zach probably only has 2 years MAX at the top level. The window of opportunity for guys that give up their bodies with such alacrity as Zach does week in and week out, is pretty small. I'm sure that thought HAS to be on the mind of Rick Spielman. And as Zach has ALWAYS said, it is a business, whether we like it or not.

Very well said fin-atic. Some folks are jumping to conclusions. Zach and Drew have not said no to restructuring, just no to what has been presented thus far. Lets give this thing a chance.

Back
Top Bottom