Zidane: Insults to mother, sister caused headbutt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zidane: Insults to mother, sister caused headbutt

HysterikiLL

Practice Squad
Reaction score
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373809&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines&cc=3436

The 34-year-old midfielder, soft-spoken and relaxed in the interview with the Canal-Plus television network, did not specify exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but said it was about his family.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," Zidane said, stressing that Materazzi's language was "very harsh."

"My act is not forgivable," Zidane said. "But they must also punish the true guilty party, and the guilty party is the one who provokes."

"I tell myself that if things happened this way, it's because somewhere up there it was decided that way," he said in a later interview on TF1 television. "And I don't regret anything that happened, I accept it."

Guy got riled up and taken out of his game, literally. The Italian got what he was after. May be low class, but you gotta maintain.

It happened. Can't do nothing about it now. I wish he would clarify on what was said, but It doesn't seem like he will do that anytime soon.

I thought it was the funniest thing in the world when ESPN News said that Zidane claimed he was called a "terrorist" - I was getting just getting out've bed in the morning, and I fell right back into the bed laughing my *** off..

I mean Zidane is known for his temper and has blown up before in games, of course not nearly of this magnitude, but the Italians had to be messing with him from the beginning, I mean this wasn't a split second type of thing, this was during the course of almost 2 hours they were tormenting and taunting this man. He snapped, he should of composed himself and be the world class superstar that he has been for the last decade, but he didn't, and he went loco, mission accomplished for the Italians.

Blueprint said:
I thought it was the funniest thing in the world when ESPN News said that Zidane claimed he was called a "terrorist" - I was getting just getting out've bed in the morning, and I fell right back into the bed laughing my *** off..

I don't get it. Why was this funny? Are you doubting it (in that you think Zidane made it up) or was it funny for some other reason?

I posted this in another thread, but BBC did use a deaf lip reader who deciphered what Materazzi said as "you're the son of a terrorist whore".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm
(look in the black rectangle in the middle titled "what was said").

ckb2001 said:
I don't get it. Why was this funny? Are you doubting it (in that you think Zidane made it up) or was it funny for some other reason?

I posted this in another thread, but BBC did use a deaf lip reader who deciphered what Materazzi said as "you're the son of a terrorist whore".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm
(look in the black rectangle in the middle titled "what was said").

A Brasilian channel did the same thing and I think the result was "You are the son of a dirty islamic terrorist". Whatever it was, it seems it had something to do with Zidane's family and terrorists.

There's talk that Mazzerati might get suspended by FIFA for a few games for possibly using a racial slur to taunt ZZ. If so, he traded a brief suspension for a World Cup. Good trade for him for Italy.

phunwin said:
There's talk that Mazzerati might get suspended by FIFA for a few games for possibly using a racial slur to taunt ZZ. If so, he traded a brief suspension for a World Cup. Good trade for him for Italy.

France should have put Italy away long time before the Zidane incident . . I mean they were playing a team who had nothing left in the second half, they were walking out there man, the Germany game wore the Italians out, and France did not take advantage, plain and simple. France still would have lost in PK's even with Zidane because Barthez can't stop anything.

Kdawg954 said:
France should have put Italy away long time before the Zidane incident . . I mean they were playing a team who had nothing left in the second half, they were walking out there man, the Germany game wore the Italians out, and France did not take advantage, plain and simple. France still would have lost in PK's even with Zidane because Barthez can't stop anything.

Very true; I'm not a big fan of the revisionist history that goes "if ZZ isn't red carded, France wins", so I'm sorry that my last post implied that. I will say, though, that there was one chance where France had two guys charging the goal, and really needed one good pass to tie it together for a goal, and I think that if Zidane had been in on that run, they might have won it there.

But yeah, he wouldn't have had as much impact on the PKs. Trezeguet was the only guy who missed, and since he had fresh legs, he would likely not have been the guy they pulled from the order.

Kdawg954 said:

While this is mostly true, I think to some degree it is the result of Lippi deciding to play traditional Italian ball and play "protect their 0-0 lead" strategy. Italy basically played in a shell and seemed perfectly content to let the game be decided on PK (seemed like this was the attitude even in the 2nd half of regular time).

While that strategy often makes for a boring game to watch, Lippi does deserve a LOT of credit for what Italy did. Often, managers get too much credit or too much blame, but I think in this case Lippi really deserves a lot of credit.

Though he would never coach a non-soccer power like the US, there's no question I'd rather have him or Scolari over Klinsmann (Klinsmann does have two weaknesses: he is inexperienced and not as brilliant tactically as Lippi for example, though one forte he has is the willingness to try out new things).

Back
Top Bottom