Zo is a class act. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zo is a class act.

305TillIDie said:
his wife told him "Retire in a Heat jersey..becuase I dont want to move nomore"

thats a big reason why he stayed in Miami..Zo listened to the Wifey :lol:

And thats ALWAYS a good idea :lol:

Majpain said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2521543

Zo was offered more money by other teams but has no intrest in leaving his team or home.

I wish more players were like Zo.

Correct me if I'm wrong . . but isn't this the same guy who when he was out with the bad kidney . . the organization had to and paid him his full contract while he was out just to see him bounce to New Jersey after he was healed so he can make more money and attempt to win a championship. I mean I respect Zo, and I mean what a story for him to be playing at such a high level . . but he hurt alot of Heat fans when he left Miami for "more money" the first time . . a place that stuck by him through out his recovery. I mean he is at the end of his career and has his ring . . what did u expect him to do . . leave for Dallas for an extra million or 2 for one more season . . c'mon man, not really no suprise here. This is his home . . he is great in the community . . but he should have never left to begin with . . the Heat worked with him throughout and at the end he left with his pockets full to another team . . I'm not a Heat fan, but I remember that.

Kdawg954 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong . . but isn't this the same guy who when he was out with the bad kidney . . the organization had to and paid him his full contract while he was out just to see him bounce to New Jersey after he was healed so he can make more money and attempt to win a championship. I mean I respect Zo, and I mean what a story for him to be playing at such a high level . . but he hurt alot of Heat fans when he left Miami for "more money" the first time . . a place that stuck by him through out his recovery. I mean he is at the end of his career and has his ring . . what did u expect him to do . . leave for Dallas for an extra million or 2 for one more season . . c'mon man, not really no suprise here. This is his home . . he is great in the community . . but he should have never left to begin with . . the Heat worked with him throughout and at the end he left with his pockets full to another team . . I'm not a Heat fan, but I remember that.
Well, Heat fans forgive him..i was never mad when he left cause it was a business move..He does alot in the community and he brought home at championship..all that other stuff doesnt matter nomore :wink:

305TillIDie said:
Well, Heat fans forgive him..i was never mad when he left cause it was a business move..He does alot in the community and he brought home at championship..all that other stuff doesnt matter nomore :wink:

True, but the original poster typed

"Zo was offered more money by other teams but has no intrest in leaving his team or home.

I wish more players were like Zo"

I just thought it was kind of ironic we are saying this now, while when he was here before he put the Heat in a bind by being injured (of course not his fault, but he was injured), and when he was finally healthy instead of tryin to build a winner here after all the fans and team was so loyal to him while hurt, he left for more money . . just doesn't flow good with the purpose of this post, thats all I'm saying.

Guess all in all, it was for the best . . if he stays, the Heat probably aren't a low enough team to get Wade, so it worked out, but I wouldn't put Zo as a "loyal" person.

Zo didn't leave for more money - he left to chase a championship title because he didn't think he would play for many more seasons. At the time, Miami was basically rebuilding and the Nets were widely considered the best team in the Eastern Conference; I believe it was the year before when they went to the Finals and loss. Above all, an addition like Alonzo Mourning looked to surely keep New Jersey as a true contender. Maybe Miami was a superstar away from contending at the time, but remember, Zo didn't have as much to offer as he did before the kidney situation.

Rumor is, San Antonio recently offered him the mid-level exception over 1 or 2 years, his choice. Mourning could've signed elsewhere for more last year too. He knows he's not the same player he once was, but he also knows that he's probably the best backup center in basketball. He wants those contributions to go towards a title run, especially since his time left in the league is limited.

I wasnt real fond of him while in College (I know, A long time ago), or when he first came out. I think that the things he has experience healthwise and other has shown his real character. He has transformed into one of the better guys in Pro Sports... And remember, I am not a HEAT fan by any stretch (Although I was glad to see them win it)

Kdawg954 said:

Come on man. The HEAT were rebuilding. Having Zo there wouldn't have served any purpose. I know I was rooting for Zo when he left.

ZO never left the heat on bad terms...

THE HEAT LEFT ZO.

I remember those days...and the Heta NEVER offered him an extension and New Jersey offered a contract. He wanted to continue playing..so he left.

When you have the kind of money Zo has what is a few extra million elsewhere gonna mean to him? Not much. If you are happy living in an area with your family and you don't have a lot of time before you retire, sometimes you are better off not looking at the money.

Section126 said:
ZO never left the heat on bad terms...

THE HEAT LEFT ZO.

I remember those days...and the Heta NEVER offered him an extension and New Jersey offered a contract. He wanted to continue playing..so he left.

Exactly. I remember Alonzo Mourning's interview with Jim Berry that summer, talking about how he has offers from teams on the table, but he's giving Miami a chance to offer him a contract. It wasn't even about money, all he wanted was insurance. Miami didn't even offer Zo a contract - he left on good terms. Riley probably told him to go get his well-deserved title run elsewhere, while we rebuild. Luckily, the Nets underachieved and Zo came back just in time for ONE MORE HEARTBREAK, only to lead to this beauty....

The Blueprint said:
Exactly. I remember Alonzo Mourning's interview with Jim Berry that summer, talking about how he has offers from teams on the table, but he's giving Miami a chance to offer him a contract. It wasn't even about money, all he wanted was insurance. Miami didn't even offer Zo a contract - he left on good terms. Riley probably told him to go get his well-deserved title run elsewhere, while we rebuild. Luckily, the Nets underachieved and Zo came back just in time for ONE MORE HEARTBREAK, only to lead to this beauty....

Well I remember differently, and even tho I'm not a die hard Heat fan, I keep in tune with all sports down here. From what I remember, I mean yea he was waiting for Miami to offer him a contract . . a contract higher or equal to what other teams were trying to offer. Don't make it seem as if they didn't try to resign Zo, they wanted Zo to work with them to try to build a contender . . I mean they were forced to pay his contract when he couldn't do anything for MIami, if he was the loyal guy everybody claims him to be, he would have been more willing to take less to be in his home town, a place where he was an icon to fans throughout. Miami were so cap strapped that year with Grant and Jones still on the books, it would have been impossible to give Zo what some teams were offering despite the team being loyal and the fans sticking behind him 100 percent. I'm not saying Zo is a bad guy, but to say "more players should be like Zo" is a contradiction to his past. He is great in the community and I respect what he does, but u cannot deny he hurt alot of fans when he left who stuck behind him throughout.

And to think about it now, if he would have stayed, he would have been on a team with Wade, Haslem, Jones, Odom, Caron, Rasual, Grant, Alston . . I mean, that team would have done wonders if they had a guy like Zo in there.

Kdawg954 said:
Well I remember differently, and even tho I'm not a die hard Heat fan, I keep in tune with all sports down here. From what I remember, I mean yea he was waiting for Miami to offer him a contract . . a contract higher or equal to what other teams were trying to offer. Don't make it seem as if they didn't try to resign Zo, they wanted Zo to work with them to try to build a contender . . I mean they were forced to pay his contract when he couldn't do anything for MIami, if he was the loyal guy everybody claims him to be, he would have been more willing to take less to be in his home town, a place where he was an icon to fans throughout. Miami were so cap strapped that year with Grant and Jones still on the books, it would have been impossible to give Zo what some teams were offering despite the team being loyal and the fans sticking behind him 100 percent. I'm not saying Zo is a bad guy, but to say "more players should be like Zo" is a contradiction to his past. He is great in the community and I respect what he does, but u cannot deny he hurt alot of fans when he left who stuck behind him throughout.
Nah, Pat Riley told him that he understood the situation. By re-signing Zo, we weren't building into a contender because nobody wanted the contracts of Eddie Jones or Brian Grant. If Zo was to play in 2002-2003, the line-up would've been Travis Best, Eddie Jones, Caron Butler, Brian Grant, & Alonzo Mourning. Mike James was on the roster, but he was still developing and he backed up Travis Best the entire season. I don't think it was a matter of loyalty at all. Think of it like this - if Miami was only offering Dwyane Wade $4-5 million a year, he'd be a goner, loyal or not. New Jersey would've been a major contender if Zo was healthy that season. He knew it, and Riley knew it. Zo left on good terms, and as a fan of both the Miami Heat and Alonzo Mourning the individual, I was happy when he left. I wanted to see him get a ring, and I also wanted to see the Heat suck that year on a positive note (meaning we suck, but good seasons for Caron & Rasual, which is what happened) and enter the LeBron/Melo/Bosh/Wade sweepstakes the following year. :lol: - I wanted to rebuild, while watching Zo hold up the trophy.

Kdawg954 said:
And to think about it now, if he would have stayed, he would have been on a team with Wade, Haslem, Jones, Odom, Caron, Rasual, Grant, Alston . . I mean, that team would have done wonders if they had a guy like Zo in there.
There's not a chance in the world of Miami having the cap space to sign Lamar Odom to that $60+ million contract if Zo was re-signed the year before. We weren't even slated for the money we had the following season. Remember, the only reason we had Lamar Odom type money is because Anthony Carter's ******* (lol, I'll never forget that) missed the deadline to opt in, and it free'd up about $5 million.

The Blueprint said:
Nah, Pat Riley told him that he understood the situation. By re-signing Zo, we weren't building into a contender because nobody wanted the contracts of Eddie Jones or Brian Grant. If Zo was to play in 2002-2003, the line-up would've been Travis Best, Eddie Jones, Caron Butler, Brian Grant, & Alonzo Mourning. Mike James was on the roster, but he was still developing and he backed up Travis Best the entire season. I don't think it was a matter of loyalty at all. Think of it like this - if Miami was only offering Dwyane Wade $4-5 million a year, he'd be a goner, loyal or not. New Jersey would've been a major contender if Zo was healthy that season. He knew it, and Riley knew it. Zo left on good terms, and as a fan of both the Miami Heat and Alonzo Mourning the individual, I was happy when he left. I wanted to see him get a ring, and I also wanted to see the Heat suck that year on a positive note (meaning we suck, but good seasons for Caron & Rasual, which is what happened) and enter the LeBron/Melo/Bosh/Wade sweepstakes the following year. :lol: - I wanted to rebuild, while watching Zo hold up the trophy.

There's not a chance in the world of Miami having the cap space to sign Lamar Odom to that $60+ million contract if Zo was re-signed the year before. We weren't even slated for the money we had the following season. Remember, the only reason we had Lamar Odom type money is because Anthony Carter's ******* (lol, I'll never forget that) missed the deadline to opt in, and it free'd up about $5 million.

The Heat were already in the sweepstakes for Wade . . remember Zo didn't sign with New Jersey until after the 02/03 season (he was out the whole 02-o3 season, and his contract expired after). WAde was in the 2003 draft, So the Heat would have had Wade on that team. All I'm saying is, if he resigns for less with Miami, they could have still brought in Odom, and they would have possibly done big things that year (which I mean they did amazing things regardless). I mean it don't matter now, I like Zo, I'm not trying to knock him, I was just pointing out that in his previous tenure with Miami, he had the oppurtunity to stay and he chose not to. Loyality is guys like Zack and JT, who keep playing for less to stay with the Dolphins, knowing they could make considerably more with another team. That would be a better example of "team loyality and fan loyality" IMO.

LMAO @ Anthony Carter tho, wth was he thinking. I still remember that day on Sportscenter, they were dogging him out bad.

Back
Top Bottom