Votes: 38 15.6%
  • D

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • F

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Grier still sucks

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
Gave it a B because we got good athletes and good talent and we got value for our picks but I felt we picked at positions that already were strengths and still left some questions as a result.

I give us a D but we’ll see.

I’ve argued and debated pretty much the past 2 days so no need for any more of that.

It is what it is and we’ll see going forward.

We doubled down on our current strengths and ignored our current weaknesses. All these guys are projects and even if they boom it will probably be a few years down the line. The problem with that is the problem I have with considering AJ a draft hit. By the time they blossom you have to pay them. With that said I graded the draft with a Grier still sucks lol

We doubled down on our current strengths and ignored our current weaknesses. All these guys are projects and even if they boom it will probably be a few years down the line. The problem with that is the problem I have with considering AJ a draft hit. By the time they blossom you have to pay them. With that said I graded the draft with a Grier still sucks lol
That last sentence… truer words have never been spoken lol.

I'll give it a B. Would have liked to have added a starting Center or Guard in Round 1. Add to the fact that I just don't know what Chop is? You just can't miss on your first rounder. Is he a guy that can't sack a QB, or will he become a sack machine under coach's tutelage?! I get the Paul pick if you think he can take over in 2025, but he will ride the pine in 2024. All in all, satisfactory grade!

Have to disagree here. You’re basically saying you should only expect that a starting LT needs to have a first-round pedigree, and that is just not factual.
That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m just talking odds. If you draft an OT in the first round, you have about a 25% chance he’s going to turn into a long term starting LT. The deeper in the draft you go, the worse those odds get.

So if our late second round pick doesn’t become a starter, it’s not really a bust. It’s a bust if he can’t play at all. If he becomes a solid backup swing tackle, that’s basically a break even.

Look at it this way: 8 OTs went in the first round this year. Another 9 went between our pick (#55) and pick #79. Of those 17 OTs, very few will become long term starters at LT. Most will never be long term starters at any position. Dozens more were drafted after pick #79 and/or signed as UDFAs, and the odds are even worse for those guys.

If you get 1 difference maker and a few contributors, that’s a home run draft.

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m just talking odds. If you draft an OT in the first round, you have about a 25% chance he’s going to turn into a long term starting LT. The deeper in the draft you go, the worse those odds get.

So if our late second round pick doesn’t become a starter, it’s not really a bust. It’s a bust if he can’t play at all. If he becomes a solid backup swing tackle, that’s basically a break even.

Look at it this way: 8 OTs went in the first round this year. Another 9 went between our pick (#55) and pick #79. Of those 17 OTs, very few will become long term starters at LT. Most will never be long term starters at any position. Dozens more were drafted after pick #79 and/or signed as UDFAs, and the odds are even worse for those guys.

If you get 1 difference maker and a few contributors, that’s a home run draft.
Under this “definition”, than there is basically no such thing as a bust offensive tackle.

This isn’t something worth going deep into an argument about, but if you put forth that 75% of tackles drafted in the first round never turn into “long term starters”, then NFL teams should probably never draft tackles in the first round. Hell, definitely do not draft them in the second round.

Yet, somehow, the position is very commonly drafted in both rounds.

Back
Top Bottom