The "Who You Would have Drafted" Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Who You Would have Drafted" Thread

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe the NFL draft is in the books. So, who would you have drafted? Put on your GM caps and lets discuss. One stipulation, from my standpoint, the 2025 draft is said to be deep on the defensive side. So, I went heavy offense.

1. Thomas, WR LSU
For me, I've already stated that I discounted Chop Robinson due to lack of size. That was definitely a swing for the fences pick. I did the same here, but on offense, and went with a big receiver, whose explosive numbers are really off the charts. I also considered Barton, Dejean and Newton. Thomas is the type of receiver Miami doesn't have and would likely be a great complement for Hill and Waddle.

2. Beebe, OG
A plug and play starter at LG. Love his ability to move people in the run game. I viewed guard as Miami's biggest weakness going into the draft.

4. TJ Tampa (the trade up)
First, I love the Wright pick but really wasn't considering running back. Prior to the pick, I stated in a thread that I'd trade up for Franklin or Tampa. Tampa's size and physicality impressed me and felt he'd fit Weaver's defense. I think he went a round later.

5. Foster, OT
My concentration is obviously the offensive line. I think he could be a steal and the LT of the future.

5. Joe Milton, QB
He went a round later to NE. My vision for him would be to serve as the short-yardage (push play) quarterback. Intriguing physical tools, who could challenge Thompson or White for a backup role.

6. Malik Washington, WR
Made the same pick as Grier here. I was excited to see him on the board. Tough, catches everything, good at breaking tackles (YAC).

6. Christian Mahogany, OG
Went a few picks later to Detroit. Not sure why he dropped so low after being considered a 3rd rounder in most mocks. Could compete for RG. I basically took the Pittsburgh Steelers approach on the offensive line!

7. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE
A 6-6 tight end, known mostly for blocking, who could be a redzone threat. Went undrafted.

Oh we have something similar already I see

After initially having some distaste for Grier not taking a desired player or two I re-evaluated and think he did a stellar job taking some players with real star potential. Great draft.

This looks like fun... with 20/20 rearview vision, what would I have done?

Without getting too cute and saying "trade down... or up... or whatever", I would have gone OL. I liked both Morgan and Guyton a great deal. Morgan was the safe G/T and Guyton was the boom/bust LT.

1. Guyton

With my lineman in hand, I would NOT have taken Paul here... heck, I didn't think Paul would fall here, so in retrospect... Chop/Paul is probably better than what I would have done.
I wasn't thrilled with the options here... the choice would have come down to Kneeland or Sumataia as a Guard.

2. Kneeland

4. Wright... all day, and twice on Sunday. Getting our future starting RB here was grand theft.

5. Kamara... again, theft.

Did NOT like the next pick. I'm hoping that we sign Chark after Jun 1st. In my perfect draft scenario, we already have a handshake deal in place.

6. Johnny Wilson

Called this pick the previous night, though, at the time, I had expected that Trey Taylor would already be gone. Still, I struggle with taking service academy guys late. They tend to retire quickly and head back into the military unless they are immediate stars.

6. McMorris

...and finally, I would have juggled either Corneleus Johnson or a safety here, but then again, I've got Chark coming, and I'm willing to spend on UDFA Safeties, so...

7. KT Levenston (Guard)

This looks like fun... with 20/20 rearview vision, what would I have done?

Without getting too cute and saying "trade down... or up... or whatever", I would have gone OL. I liked both Morgan and Guyton a great deal. Morgan was the safe G/T and Guyton was the boom/bust LT.

1. Guyton

With my lineman in hand, I would NOT have taken Paul here... heck, I didn't think Paul would fall here, so in retrospect... Chop/Paul is probably better than what I would have done.
I wasn't thrilled with the options here... the choice would have come down to Kneeland or Sumataia as a Guard.

2. Kneeland

4. Wright... all day, and twice on Sunday. Getting our future starting RB here was grand theft.

5. Kamara... again, theft.

Did NOT like the next pick. I'm hoping that we sign Chark after Jun 1st. In my perfect draft scenario, we already have a handshake deal in place.

6. Johnny Wilson

Called this pick the previous night, though, at the time, I had expected that Trey Taylor would already be gone. Still, I struggle with taking service academy guys late. They tend to retire quickly and head back into the military unless they are immediate stars.

6. McMorris

...and finally, I would have juggled either Corneleus Johnson or a safety here, but then again, I've got Chark coming, and I'm willing to spend on UDFA Safeties, so...

7. KT Levenston (Guard)
I think Guyton was on Miami's radar, especially if they engineered a move down.

Wilson might have been a great fit as a bigger receiver.

In the 1st round I would have drafted Barton.

In the second round I would have drafted Beebe

I thought going into the draft that the OL was the biggest need on the roster. I still feel that way now since I don’t view Paul as an offensive lineman who can come in and play immediately. I believe Barton and Beebe could have come in and become starters from day one.

As far as the picks in the later rounds, I’m happy with Grier’s picks on day three. Since I don’t know much about the players at the bottom part of the draft, I’ll forgo listing who else I would have drafted instead of the players Grier selected on day 3.

In the 1st round I would have drafted Barton.

In the second round I would have drafted Beebe

I thought going into the draft that the OL was the biggest need on the roster. I still feel that way now since I don’t view Paul as an offensive lineman who can come in and play immediately. I believe Barton and Beebe could have come in and become starters from day one.

As far as the picks in the later rounds, I’m happy with Grier’s picks on day three. Since I don’t know much about the players at the bottom part of the draft, I’ll forgo listing who else I would have drafted instead of the players Grier selected on day 3.
That definitely would have solved Miami's biggest issue, which I agree is the offensive line (specifically guard play). Not sure if Barton can transition to LT, but wouldn't bet against him being at least ok there if that was the plan. He was one of my favorites in the draft.

Also, really liked Frazier who ended up in Pittsburgh. The Steelers essentially did what I would have done in the draft, by stocking up on offensive linemen.

But, I will say Grier was looking toward the future.

Whilst not part of the draft, I have to say I'm mightily p***ed off that we didn't even think about signing Louis Rees-Zammit (IPP)!
His speed alone should have been appealed to McD, and that's before you even look at his development (hands, route running, etc) in only 10 weeks.
I'd have thought that given the new kick-off rules, a talent who's used to more open field running than returners used to see - especially one that won't count on the roster and carries no cap penalty would have been a no-brainer.
Andy Reid obviously thought so!

Whilst not part of the draft, I have to say I'm mightily p***ed off that we didn't even think about signing Louis Rees-Zammit (IPP)!
His speed alone should have been appealed to McD, and that's before you even look at his development (hands, route running, etc) in only 10 weeks.
I'd have thought that given the new kick-off rules, a talent who's used to more open field running than returners used to see - especially one that won't count on the roster and carries no cap penalty would have been a no-brainer.
Andy Reid obviously thought so!
How do you know the team didn't think about it?

I think Guyton was on Miami's radar, especially if they engineered a move down.

Wilson might have been a great fit as a bigger receiver.
Wilson is slow and can’t separate. He reminds me of that Legodude Naanee guy.

I liked the Yale OT, Kiran Amegdijie. I would have taken one of the trade downs that Grier said he was offered and picked him instead of Paul. I find Paul to be an enigma. Hopefully he develops and this ends up being wrong but that’s what I would have done. Paul has that absurdly impressive wingspan which can cover up mistakes but he sure looks out of position a lot. So to me this reminds me of 2018 when they took Gesicki and his wingspan and measurables over Dallas Goeddert and I had that exact same thought now. One plus is that MM went to Yale so they surely were favorable towards him and they still went with Paul. That’s conviction.

Can’t complain as much in the first because the guy I wanted was Murphy. He was gone. I wanted Murphy plus Kiran A so let’s see how that pans out. But picking an electric edge makes sense. The issue with Chop is he has no moves. To avoid just getting swallowed up by NFL tackles that will be incumbent upon him to improve. Both he and Paul have excellent motors so hopefully they develop. Work ethic bodes well. Regarding Murphy, that’s too bad. I have to say I’m definitely concerned with our DT’s. They don’t seem to be, which is good. They want bodies rotating and then throw high end edges at you.

I 💯 agreed with the move to trade back into the fourth by using the 3rd rounder next year. I predicted that would happen. Loved the move. That fourth now is far more more valuable than the third next year when we had fewer draft picks this year and so many next year. Then, they got a top notch value there. It balanced the classes between this year and next. We actually ended up with a full complement of seven picks this year. We would have been light without making the move.

For the people who think we added redundancy, I could write an essay on why that’s wrong. But in short, we need to accentuate our team identity to make sure it’s there for the long haul. Last year when struggled late, we 💯 lacked explosive athletes on both sides of the ball. Waddle was out. Hill was playing very hurt. Our two edges were out. We were exposed athletically without them. Our receivers couldn’t separate. Tua wouldn’t even throw to some of them. We needed the two edges, two receivers, and the electric Wright. MM doesn’t want a gassed, pedestrian team at the end of the year. He wants waves of athletes that keep coming. That’s our identity. When it was muted, we struggled. MM is playing chess.

Hard to believe the NFL draft is in the books. So, who would you have drafted? Put on your GM caps and lets discuss. One stipulation, from my standpoint, the 2025 draft is said to be deep on the defensive side. So, I went heavy offense.

1. Thomas, WR LSU
For me, I've already stated that I discounted Chop Robinson due to lack of size. That was definitely a swing for the fences pick. I did the same here, but on offense, and went with a big receiver, whose explosive numbers are really off the charts. I also considered Barton, Dejean and Newton. Thomas is the type of receiver Miami doesn't have and would likely be a great complement for Hill and Waddle.

2. Beebe, OG
A plug and play starter at LG. Love his ability to move people in the run game. I viewed guard as Miami's biggest weakness going into the draft.

4. TJ Tampa (the trade up)
First, I love the Wright pick but really wasn't considering running back. Prior to the pick, I stated in a thread that I'd trade up for Franklin or Tampa. Tampa's size and physicality impressed me and felt he'd fit Weaver's defense. I think he went a round later.

5. Foster, OT
My concentration is obviously the offensive line. I think he could be a steal and the LT of the future.

5. Joe Milton, QB
He went a round later to NE. My vision for him would be to serve as the short-yardage (push play) quarterback. Intriguing physical tools, who could challenge Thompson or White for a backup role.

6. Malik Washington, WR
Made the same pick as Grier here. I was excited to see him on the board. Tough, catches everything, good at breaking tackles (YAC).

6. Christian Mahogany, OG
Went a few picks later to Detroit. Not sure why he dropped so low after being considered a 3rd rounder in most mocks. Could compete for RG. I basically took the Pittsburgh Steelers approach on the offensive line!

7. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE
A 6-6 tight end, known mostly for blocking, who could be a redzone threat. Went undrafted.
I get that we're already bored but the draft pick genie isn't going back in the bottle. I'm hopeful about the guys we took.

Back
Top Bottom