'06 mock draft for phins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'06 mock draft for phins

i really like the brandon williams pick, that guy is explosive as a Wr and also as a kick and punt returner. i hope we can get him.

Bartowboy said:
I think Greg Threat is underrtated.

I agree, I think he can be a solid NFL player.

I don't think I could imagine a better first and second pick than Cutler and Nicholson.

sports24/7 said:
I don't think I could imagine a better first and second pick than Cutler and Nicholson.

for discussions sake...a few have noted that whitworth will not be available in the third, where i have him pegged. my question is: do you take whitworth in the second, or stay with the highest rated olb (nicholson or thomas) available?

34isback said:
If Miami can trade for a young QB and not give up a 1st, they can then maybe draft a LB or SS with the #1 pick

And what young QB out there would you trade for? Besides Rivers.

Miamifin23 said:
No way will Whitworth be there in the 3rd round. I sure wish it was possible.

Never say never....we don't know how many juniors will be coming out early.

Miamifin23 said:
No way will Whitworth be there in the 3rd round. I sure wish it was possible.

Whitworth could be there. He's fallen a long ways. Or rather, other guys have just surpassed him.

But, I think OL is the LEAST likely area for Nick Saban to take some of the home town boys from LSU. He has Houck whom he trusts implicitly, to tell him which guys he wants to look at. Houck doesn't need Saban to start offering up LSU boys and saying "how about this guy?"

Now, where Saban would be likely to take some home town heroes would be on defense. He's already shown a willingness and tendency to look at DBs and LBs from LSU, and it makes sense because they already know Saban's complicated system. Saban has spoken very highly about Cameron Vaughn, the linebacker. I think Vaught may have been the guy that spoke positively about how the new head coach isn't as strict and practice seems like a much more positive atmosphere. When confronted with the statement Nick seemed very surprised, not quite hurt, but he definitely took the statement to heart and said he wanted to talk to Cameron about it to see what he meant. I think Nick really likes Cameron Vaughn, a lot like he really liked Corey Webster and Marcus Spears. I forget the name of the dude but we signed LSU's middle linebacker as an undrafted free agent but he couldn't cut it with the big boys. Of course, we drafted Travis Daniels too and Nick clearly wanted to draft Corey Webster.

So all over the D is where I think you'll see Nick taking some LSU kids...but the OL still seems like Houck's area to me. The two guys we know of on the OL that we were interested in, Anthony Alabi and Michael Roos, had virtually no connections to Nick Saban.

I think any defensive player from LSU is open season in the draft, as an undrafted free agent, etc. This would make Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams, Chase Pittman, Cameron Vaughn, LaRon Landry, Jessie Daniels, and Ronnie Prude all possibilities. I don't know which of those guys will be coming out or staying in. I think they're all at least juniors.

ckparrothead said:
Whitworth could be there. He's fallen a long ways. Or rather, other guys have just surpassed him.

But, I think OL is the LEAST likely area for Nick Saban to take some of the home town boys from LSU. He has Houck whom he trusts implicitly, to tell him which guys he wants to look at. Houck doesn't need Saban to start offering up LSU boys and saying "how about this guy?"

Now, where Saban would be likely to take some home town heroes would be on defense. He's already shown a willingness and tendency to look at DBs and LBs from LSU, and it makes sense because they already know Saban's complicated system. Saban has spoken very highly about Cameron Vaughn, the linebacker. I think Vaught may have been the guy that spoke positively about how the new head coach isn't as strict and practice seems like a much more positive atmosphere. When confronted with the statement Nick seemed very surprised, not quite hurt, but he definitely took the statement to heart and said he wanted to talk to Cameron about it to see what he meant. I think Nick really likes Cameron Vaughn, a lot like he really liked Corey Webster and Marcus Spears. I forget the name of the dude but we signed LSU's middle linebacker as an undrafted free agent but he couldn't cut it with the big boys. Of course, we drafted Travis Daniels too and Nick clearly wanted to draft Corey Webster.

So all over the D is where I think you'll see Nick taking some LSU kids...but the OL still seems like Houck's area to me. The two guys we know of on the OL that we were interested in, Anthony Alabi and Michael Roos, had virtually no connections to Nick Saban.

I think any defensive player from LSU is open season in the draft, as an undrafted free agent, etc. This would make Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams, Chase Pittman, Cameron Vaughn, LaRon Landry, Jessie Daniels, and Ronnie Prude all possibilities. I don't know which of those guys will be coming out or staying in. I think they're all at least juniors.

CK...I don't think it's a question of Saban picking Olinemen for Houck...but rather Saban knowing a certain player better than Houck....and Whitworth can play both Left and right tackle.

NFL Draft Countdown only has like 3 players listed in their position rankings from LSU on defense. Those are Claude Wroten (DT, 6'3", 290 lbs., 5.09 in the 40), Kyle Williams (DT, 6'2", 295 lbs., 5.22 in the 40), and LaRon Landry (DT, 6'2", 187 lbs., no 40 time).

Cameron Vaughn is a senior...doesn't that mean he has to enter the draft? And if so, could it be that NFL Draft Countdown just doesn't have him listed among their top 20 or 25 at the position? I thought he was a lot better than that. He obviously needs to add bulk to his 6'4" 237 pound frame but he seems like Saban's ideal outside linebacker. He played outside under Saban, and moved to middle under Les Miles. That 6'4" frame especially, I think Saban would covet that for the strong side spot.

fishypete said:
CK...I don't think it's a question of Saban picking Olinemen for Houck...but rather Saban knowing a certain player better than Houck....and Whitworth can play both Left and right tackle.

Nick Saban is not going to make any decision on OLs that Hudson Houck is not 100% on board with. He didn't even really give a sniff at that one Center that everyone here on the board was convinced we would draft as high as the 3rd round (what was his name again? Ben something?). I'm not sure we even made an offer undrafted, there were mixed reports.

He will have Hudson Houck take a very active role in the scouting of OL, and I don't think he would even bring up Andrew Whitworth unless he caught Houck's attention and Houck wanted to know some more about him.

this would be the year to trade up becuase at where the fins will draft is not a good positon so we will need to make a move here or there. i want brady quinn or brodie cyole or even vince young.

SpeedRush99 said:
And what young QB out there would you trade for? Besides Rivers.

first, trading for a young qb wouldn't necessarily be my priority. if there's a young qb that's a backup now (schaub, wallace, walter) that you could get for a 2nd, preferably a 3rd, then you make the deal. in my mind, that's just reorganizing the draft order. if the price is too high for a trade, then i definitely say no trade. the attractive thing about a trade is that it accelerates your qb development. for discussion's sake, let's say we draft cutler in the first - there's no way he starts next year, no need to rush him. if you find a good young qb that's in the league now, maybe he competes for the starter's spot next year. i guess trading also depends upon how comfortable you are with frerotte as the starter next year.

ckparrothead said:
Nick Saban is not going to make any decision on OLs that Hudson Houck is not 100% on board with. He didn't even really give a sniff at that one Center that everyone here on the board was convinced we would draft as high as the 3rd round (what was his name again? Ben something?). I'm not sure we even made an offer undrafted, there were mixed reports.

He will have Hudson Houck take a very active role in the scouting of OL, and I don't think he would even bring up Andrew Whitworth unless he caught Houck's attention and Houck wanted to know some more about him.

I believe we agree to a point....since Whitworth at this time is a top 5 OT...I'm sure Saban and Houck will chat about him. Looking at Houck's past...I believe he doesn't concern himself where O-Linemen are "rated" in the draft as much as what they have done on the field in games and do they fill a need.

furthermore re trading for a qb...

...i don't necessarily agree with trading up this year, unless young and/or quinn come out. with more options at qb, the price for trading up (if we have to at all) will be dramatically less. also, not thrilled with the idea of trading to get rivers - i'm guessing the price tag will be huge.

As long as we can get Cutler in the 1st round, ill be fine.

Back
Top Bottom