1-15... 7-9... 11-5... 13-3 (SB Winner)... 12-4 (SB Winner)... Dallas Cowboys... 1989 - 1993... people need to chill. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1-15... 7-9... 11-5... 13-3 (SB Winner)... 12-4 (SB Winner)... Dallas Cowboys... 1989 - 1993... people need to chill.

-81- McMichael

Active Roster
Reaction score
The TITLE says it all. People need to chill.

In 1988 the Cowboys were a woeful 3-13 in Tom Landry's last season as head coach. Their only star player (to be)... a rookie by the name of Michael Irvin.

In 1989 they get Jimmy Johnson and they go... 1-15. But they add a quarterback from UCLA called Troy Aikman (and a few other guys that would go on to a few Pro Bowls). Aaaaand... they ALSO trade Herschel Walker for a bevy of draft picks (sound familiar?).

In 1990 they draft Emmitt Smith - the offensive trifecta is set: Irvin, Aikman, and Smith.

In 1991 they draft - count 'em - EIGHTEEN picks with draft gems like Russell Maryland, Leon Lett and Erik Williams. The DEFENSE stiffens and the Offensive Line gets an ANCHOR.

In 1992... SUPER BOWL.

In 1993... SUPER BOWL.

And ALL OF THIS STARTED... with a 1-15 season.

BTW... Jimmy Johnson's first game that year was a 0-28 drubbing at the hands of a New Orleans Saints team that would finish the season a pedestrian 9-7. Also, the Cowboys would go on to get SHUT OUT another 2 times that year... 0-15 at the Giants... and a humiliating 0-27 at home against the hated Eagles.

So with all of the above said... I would argue that those who are freaking out need to either A) take a chill pill or B) find another team to root for.

I got your back op. In all seriousness I think the point you're trying to make is valid and insightful.

Flores may not be JJ but we also don't know that he isn't. JJ had only college pedigree coming in to his gig with Dallas and the path he took definitely bares some early resemblance to what we have going on. People are just still stinging from Sunday's game and the frustration we all feel is a joy sucker for sure. I believe it would serve us all well to expect more of the same for the next several weeks. No amount of negativity and degredation is going to change the outcome of coming events as we get through this season and head into next years draft and free agency periods.
We may not have the luxury of no salary cap but we certainly won't have any shortage of capital to spend next offseason....that's for sure.

I get the premise. It’s a good story. Have to find the QB. FWIW, Dallas doubled down on trying to hit there - Steve Walsh and Aikman - for those that are in the keep going until you get the guy.

I'm pretty sure we all know that blue print. The problem is you need to hit on those draft picks and use free agency well. Can Grier do that? JJ drafted HOF players and a bunch of pro bowlers. Not sure Grier will.

That model for turning a 1-15 team into a Super Bowl winner has been duplicated so many times that Jeff Ireland could do it.

Uh wait, it's never been duplicated...

Yea, it's just that easy which is why you have to go back over 20 years for an example.

In those 20 years, how many teams got the type of salary cap Miami will have, or the amount of picks Miami will have each of the next two years, in the 1st 3 rounds?

I know it will be not be easy to just hit on picks, but Miami might have an advantage the Cowboys did not.

Everyone keeps talking about Miami having to get a QB in next years draft, yet I did not know Rosen had already failed without playing much in the regular season.

The RB position did not look that bad in pre-season, and early on against the Ravens, were actually doing well.

The position of WR might be much better then we saw against the Ravens, after the O-Line gives the play time to develop, and the QB time to get the ball to the receiver.

Not saying we might not have to again get talent at QB, RB, and WR, but we also unlike the Cowboys in the 90s, might not have to worry as much.

In those 20 years, how many teams got the type of salary cap Miami will have, or the amount of picks Miami will have each of the next two years, in the 1st 3 rounds?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Cincinnati Bengals
Detroit Lions
Kansas City Chiefs
Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Oakland Raiders
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns
Buffalo Bills

Wanna guess how many of them went on to have successful franchises in the next couple years afterwards?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Cincinnati Bengals
Detroit Lions
Kansas City Chiefs
Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Oakland Raiders
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns
Buffalo Bills

Wanna guess how many of them went on to have successful franchises in the next couple years afterwards?

Well, If what you wrote were actually correct, I would have to admit you made a good point, but it's not, and you don't.

Miami will have a huge salary cap, and a ridiculous amount of picks in the next two years that you have to go all the way back to the Cowboys to compare.

Back
Top Bottom