1...2...punch! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1...2...punch!

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
One thing that struck me as odd about the Indianapolis game was the invisibilty of Robert Edwards. After what he showed in the Detroit game, I was surprised that he wasn't a bigger part of the offense against the Colts. How could Norv not use a player that was so successful in the opening victory? He doesn't strike me as the type to get away from something that worked so well.....

...unless he had a plan....

Here's my theory....I suspect that the Dolphins are licking their chops right now.....The Jets are expecting heavy doses of Ricky Williams....the whole NFL is expecting heavy doses of RW from the dolphins.....I THINK, Norv held Edwards out of the last game so that he could use him heavily in this one. Let's face it...Edwards is the better receiver out of the backfield and he's a better open field runner than Williams. I think that RE will throw a wrench into the Jets game plan on defense....Where they are expecting a pounding running back.....they get screens and short passes to the Running backs and tightends, and short crossing routes by the receivers....When they adjust to that we change to Ricky......and when they creep up to the line to stop Ricky.....Bang! We hit'em deep with Chambers .....lights out!

It's been quiet in Dolphin camp....Nothing being said from them about the game plan.....

Norv has got something up his sleeve...He wouldn't be a genius if he didn't.;)

I (so far) have loved everything Norv has done. I had a dream last night, and I heard the score.

29-14 I didn't get to see the winner, and I had a feeling in my dream it was the Jets winning, but wasn't sure (could have been just reflex from the last four years) so I hope it was the other way.

Anyway just wanted to get that down "for the record". It is an odd score, requiring a saftey to produce the 29 points, or two two point conversions.

Either way, just had to tell.

I think we would have used Robert Edwards a lot more in the second half last week, if the Colts hadn't started to come back. We needed Ricky to use up clock when we had the ball in the second half. If it's really suppossed to be all wet and crappy for weather, I think we will stick with Ricky most of the time. A good thought though InFINSible, you never know.

Originally posted by Adphinistrator87
I (so far) have loved everything Norv has done. I had a dream last night, and I heard the score.

29-14 I didn't get to see the winner, and I had a feeling in my dream it was the Jets winning, but wasn't sure (could have been just reflex from the last four years) so I hope it was the other way.

Anyway just wanted to get that down "for the record". It is an odd score, requiring a saftey to produce the 29 points, or two two point conversions.

Heres to hoping your dream is dead wrong. :happydrin :happydrin

How bout this for a secret weapon - After lulling teams to sleep with underneath passes to Konrad and Mchmichael, none other than...Chris Chambers will erupt for a 200 yard game and a few TD's against the Jets.

It may not happen on the first play, or even in the first quarter. But as soon as the Jets begin playing closer to the LOS and off CC, look for him to ....explode.

I think the Dolphins will confuse the Jets with a lot of Ricky and TRAVIS MINOR...yes Travis Minor. I saw him score a TD against them last year and did pretty well. Minor is more of a change of pace back to Ricky since he is a lot faster and using a nice dose of Minor will confuse the Jets D, but Ricky will still obviously get most of the carries.

infin I totally and politely disagree . IMO Ricky is better at everything that Minor and Edwards, i.e. a better runner, receiver and blocker. Ricky has 60 recepts last year. Ricky comes out occasionally on passing downs to rest him and because Edwards is a solid receiver, not because Ricky is not.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I think the Dolphins will confuse the Jets with a lot of Ricky and TRAVIS MINOR...yes Travis Minor. I saw him score a TD against them last year and did pretty well. Minor is more of a change of pace back to Ricky since he is a lot faster and using a nice dose of Minor will confuse the Jets D, but Ricky will still obviously get most of the carries.

I just hope they don't kill an important drive with Minor like they did at Indy. Ricky made a nice run, they took him out, and Minor couldn't do anything in his two shots. And on third down, Edwards was caught off guard on that pass. I guess there are still some rough spots that need working out.

As far is Norv is concerned, he has made these guys look brilliant, considering that they don't fully know his offense, yet! He said that it'll be November and December before they really get going. Wow! He's just steadily rolling it out!

Robert Edwards was a pro bowl talent....watching him in that first game against Detroit proved he still had that talent, why wouldn't Norv take adavantage of that? Even the coaches say that Ricky has the best hands out of the backfield, besides Robert Edwards. I think Edwards is faster and a better open field runner than Williams, ricky's 52yarder not withstanding, I think Edwards would get more YAC. JMO....I do believe Ricky will get his fair share, i just think that Edwards will be a bigger part of the game plan this week than he was in week one or two.

Originally posted by inFINSible
Robert Edwards was a pro bowl talent....watching him in that first game against Detroit proved he still had that talent, why wouldn't Norv take adavantage of that? Even the coaches say that Ricky has the best hands out of the backfield, besides Robert Edwards. I think Edwards is faster and a better open field runner than Williams, ricky's 52yarder not withstanding, I think Edwards would get more YAC. JMO....I do believe Ricky will get his fair share, i just think that Edwards will be a bigger part of the game plan this week than he was in week one or two.
either way it is all good :cooldude: - unless you are Minor

Originally posted by Run_Ricky_Run

I just hope they don't kill an important drive with Minor like they did at Indy. Ricky made a nice run, they took him out, and Minor couldn't do anything in his two shots. And on third down, Edwards was caught off guard on that pass. I guess there are still some rough spots that need working out.
Didn't the Colts blitz on that particular play? That sometimes works against the offense.

Edwards do seem to show better open field running than Williams..I was rewatching the game against Indy and Ricky could have cut back a couple of times and had great runs..but he didn't show the patients and ended up with 3 or 4 yards when he could have had 10-15 if he'd just be patient and cut back on some of those off tackle plays..Edwards defintely has impressed me with his speed and vision..hopefully he's used a lot..I wouldn't mind seeing Minor on some sweeps being use like Mercury Morris of the old days..he has speed and quickness and kill the Jets.

Here's the deal guys........

When you have as many talented offensive players as we do....playing in an offense as diverse as Norv's......it's impossible to get EVERYONE involved every week. It's just not possible. Just look at the receiving stats for the SEASON:

Randy McMichael - 6 recs...107 yds...1 TD
Chris Chambers - 7 recs...93 yds...1 TD
Ricky Williams - 2 recs...62 yds...1 TD
Rob Konrad - 5 recs...44 yds...1 TD
Robert Edwards - 5 recs...43 yds...1 TD
Oronde Gadsden - 4 recs...32 yds
Dedric Ward - 2 recs...13 yds

Look at that. After two games, Oronde Gadsden has 32 yds receiving. At this rate, he'll finish with 256 yards receiving. Chambers would finish with 744. Dedric Ward would have a whopping 104. Has Norv gone away from them?? Of course not. They're STARTERS (in OG and CC's case). Norv (and Jay for that matter) have simply taken what the defense has allowed and what the defense has been susceptible to.

Pretty soon (probably tomorrow), a team is going to commit their LBs to shutting down the screens and short passes to the backs. And that will open up the middle of the field and the deep passing attack for the WRs.

You can't win the same way every week because you're not facing the same defense every week. And even when you face a team for the second time, odds are that they've changed their plan of attack (unless you're the Dolphins. lol). Norv knows this and adjusts to it better than anyone. Some weeks it's going to be the running game and passes to the backs. Other games it's going to be the deep passing game. That's true for ANY team.

In closing, Norv didn't go away from Robert Edwards for any reason other than the flow of the game didn't call for Edwards to be on the field as much as last week (per Norv's judgement). Remember, he's a BACKUP. He's only going to have so many "big" games anyway. Especially playing behind a workhorse like Ricky.

Originally posted by Adphinistrator87

i have not loved everything norv has done. but about 95% for sure. there were a couple of times against Indy when we should have just kept running ricky, instead we playaction and JF thows the INT. there was no reason to throw at all. we were runnign the ball just fine.

Back
Top Bottom