1 superstar or a few solid starters? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1 superstar or a few solid starters?

Namor

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Whats better to have coming out of a draft?
One superstar (say a QB)only, or several solid
players.

Several solid players no doubt. Most QB take time to develop and football is not a one man team sport.

If you get a superstar every single year through the draft, and add a few solid guys here and there in free agency, then you're in excellent shape.

Most teams have to settle on drafting a solid guy here and there, but not because they want to. There's ton of what-if threads on here, what if we drafted Drew Brees, Randy Moss, or Boldin.. most people would agree that we could be better off today.

id take a superstar QB over a bunch of solid players at other positions

id take a bunch of solid players over a superstar at any position other than QB

id take a superstar QB over a bunch of solid players at other positions

id take a bunch of solid players over a superstar at any position other than QB
That's a pretty fair assesment...however, i guess the main issue would be how many is a few solid players (2,3,4,5, or more). But i would agree with you here. A superstar QB is probably the hardest to find, and subsequently has the most impact over any other position.

Couldn't you get a superstar QB/player and still get solid players with the rest of your picks? That should be our goal for this year.

I hope we don't plan on going 6-10 the next few years just do we have a good draft position

Couldn't you get a superstar QB/player and still get solid players with the rest of your picks? That should be our goal for this year.

I hope we don't plan on going 6-10 the next few years just do we have a good draft position
Good point, the Steelers did it with the Lambert/Hamm draft class, and the 49ers did it with the Lott/Wright draft class, just to name a couple. Two very nice drafts which netted numerous pro-bowl/hall-of-fame players and several superbowl teams.

Whats better to have coming out of a draft?
One superstar (say a QB)only, or several solid
players.

Unless the player is a sure-fire, franchise QB, you want several solid players in our position. We are in this position because we drafted stupidly for 5 yrs under Wanny. Normally, if you have the #9 spot and can move up to get a top 5 guy it would be fine. In our case, unless it's Russell or Quinn, I would try to get an extra pick thru a trade down. The good thing is that ANY of the players we've discussed taking at #9 on this forum (or any of the mocks) would probably be a good choice since we have so many needs anyway. Even on the D side, our DL stars are aging, our LBer corp needs replenishing and the secondary needs help...and that's with a top 5 D from last year. And our O needs go without saying...

Unless the player is a sure-fire, franchise QB, you want several solid players in our position. We are in this position because we drafted stupidly for 5 yrs under Wanny. Normally, if you have the #9 spot and can move up to get a top 5 guy it would be fine. In our case, unless it's Russell or Quinn, I would try to get an extra pick thru a trade down. The good thing is that ANY of the players we've discussed taking at #9 on this forum (or any of the mocks) would probably be a good choice since we have so many needs anyway. Even on the D side, our DL stars are aging, our LBer corp needs replenishing and the secondary needs help...and that's with a top 5 D from last year. And our O needs go without saying...

(1) Superstar=next Marino or Elway or a few solid players
with a couple of pro bowls maybe.Which would you chose
for a draft?

(1) Superstar=next Marino or Elway or a few solid players
with a couple of pro bowls maybe.Which would you chose
for a draft?
Umm, by that definition i choose...wait...let me think...oh yes, SUPERSTAR.

Now is this like asking would I trade Vonnie Holliday, Marty Booker, and Will Allen for Peyton Manning. Because I would do it in a sec.

Back
Top Bottom