10 Nfl Players With Most To Prove In Training Camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 Nfl Players With Most To Prove In Training Camp

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
josh-rosen-dolphins.jpg

1. Josh Rosen, QB, Miami Dolphins

Josh Rosen will lead the NFL’s most interesting and watched quarterback competition of the year when he battles it out with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the magician looking to keep his career alive in Miami. Rosen is already considered the future of the franchise, but that doesn’t mean he’ll start straight away despite being thrust into that role with Arizona a year ago. It’s an interesting and unique situation to say the very least, and how that plays out will be must-watch TV. But regardless of how the dominoes fall to start the season, Rosen must prove his 2018 struggles were situational and that the Dolphins do, in fact, have their franchise quarterback in the building.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/10-nfl-players-most-prove-2019-training-camp/499258

Sounded like he will have a tough time supplanting Fitzpatrick if mini camp was any indication
I'm not sure that it is an indication, though.

Fitz has been in the league a long time, and has worked in many different offensive schemes. It's understandable, particularly given the fact that he had the playbook much earlier than Rosen, that he would perform better.

There is absolutely no reason Fitzpatrick should see the field at all! We must see Josh and what he can bring. Rosen should start day one as this is now his team.

Right now it's all a projection --- but I tend to believe Rosen is the most talented QB we've had in Davie since #13. In a way -- that's not much of a statement, given our overall (collective) C- QB grade post Marino. But Rosen at least has the potential to be a legit NFL QB who can execute at a consistent, PRO level.

Beyond that, as I've stated many times already, I am in NO HURRY to subject him to live bullets and have zero issue with Fitz starting the season. We will certainly see Rosen perform in '19 -- and the coaches will certainly be evaluating EVERY throw he makes in practice -- so there's no reason to be reckless with him. In this instance, I'd rather err a tad on the side of caution.

Last, I see zero reason why Fitz cannot do quite well in the system we're implementing, especially is we get a few breaks like OL emergence and some Preston Williams magic etc. Of course counting on a UDFA WR is a stretch -- so we need some additional positive developments @TE, RB (FB!).

For me, at least at this point in time, this team is rather fascinating in terms of what kind of product we can put on the field. There are so many variables in play from the entirely new staff, new QBs, new players, player development etc. --- it's impossible to predict what may or may not be achieved.

But for now, I don't believe we're as "bad" as a number of sources believe -- and we could shock a few teams.

Play Fitz until he goes down. You know the drill...wash, rinse, repeat.

The kid comes so cheap, I don't see any need to rush him.

Best case scenario, Rosen merits the start.

Play Fitz until he goes down. You know the drill...wash, rinse, repeat.

The kid comes so cheap, I don't see any need to rush him.

Best case scenario, Rosen merits the start.
I understand your view about "rushing" him, but I don't know if it's as simple as that.

Rosen obviously hasn't the experience that Fitz has, and certain allowances should be made for that.

He's not a rookie though, and going through a complete training camp, if he's not ready to play, that would indicate to me that he isn't as focused as he should be.

By all accounts, he is an intelligent individual, so knowing the play book won't be an issue.

We know he has the tools, as far as arm strength, and from what I've seen, his footwork and delivery motion is sound.

That leaves his ability to read defenses, both pre, and post snap.

I can't really expect him to be as adept as Fitz in that area, simply because of the disparity in experience, but if its anywhere close, we absolutely have to find out what we have before next year's draft.

If he isn't "the guy" we move on, but we need to know.

The idea that we have to know before next season is just not true. In reality, there's no way Fitzpatrick plays 16 games. So I wouldn't worry about Rosen seeing action.

I think it's really important to keep in mind the following:

If the reports are accurate, and I believe they are, the O we're installing is

very demanding on the QB in terms of reading the D, adjusting routes, adjusting

protection etc. IMO a lot of that directly relates to experience -- and of course

significant mental prep and study. That fact seriously favors a vet like Fitz and

Rosen is definitely behind the curve -- unless we "limit" the O for his benefit.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

I understand your view about "rushing" him, but I don't know if it's as simple as that.

Rosen obviously hasn't the experience that Fitz has, and certain allowances should be made for that.

He's not a rookie though, and going through a complete training camp, if he's not ready to play, that would indicate to me that he isn't as focused as he should be.

By all accounts, he is an intelligent individual, so knowing the play book won't be an issue.

We know he has the tools, as far as arm strength, and from what I've seen, his footwork and delivery motion is sound.

That leaves his ability to read defenses, both pre, and post snap.

I can't really expect him to be as adept as Fitz in that area, simply because of the disparity in experience, but if its anywhere close, we absolutely have to find out what we have before next year's draft.

If he isn't "the guy" we move on, but we need to know.

I'm not worried about the 'athlete' part of his game. QBs live and die by the mental part of the game.

The idea that we have to know before next season is just not true. In reality, there's no way Fitzpatrick plays 16 games. So I wouldn't worry about Rosen seeing action.
I would disagree. If Rosen is still a question mark at the end of the season, we really have no choice but to draft a QB, and probably spend more than just our rd1 pick to do it.

If we don't find out, the Rosen trade was pointless, and a wasted pick, that could have been used on the O-line.

I guess you are correct that we don't "have to know", but then what was the point of it all?

I look at it like this. If Rosen looks to be the genuine artifact, we cut at least a year off the rebuild, and we use our picks to build the other positions.

Back
Top Bottom