10 Reasons The Phins Will Be Better | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 Reasons The Phins Will Be Better

FINdestructible said:
Yes you're right, we need to get a high caliber, laser accuracy, rocket armed QB like Pennington. :rolleyes:

You need a QB who plays smarter than Daunte, and at this stage of his career, I don't know how much more Daunte can develop the mental part of his game. Pennington's forte is his grasp of the game and the situation and making the best of it.

I think that there's too much emphasis on arm strength and not enough emphasis on smarts and work ethic when it comes to drafting QBs. A lot of hot shot college QBs -- like other talented college players -- frequently don't have to work all that hard for their success. They depend on their superior talent for their success, but in the pros, everybody has superior talent. I think this is a big reason why so many first round draft choices turn out to be "disappointments".

I also think that many QBs with a lot of physical talent that are drafted in the first round -- like Daunte -- are often not coached well enough to correct faults in their fundamentals as well as to learn to read defenses. There seems to be an attitude among NFL teams to just let young QBs "sink or swim" rather than working on whatever issues the QBs have. The remarkable turn around with JP Losman in 2006 just didn't happen, but was the result of a lot of hard work on the part of the QB coaches (Turk Schoenert and Alex Van Pelt) and Losman.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lemon wind up the Fins starting QB on opening day if the Fins don't bring in a FA QB.

Excellent list you have put up their buddy. It is always a nice thing to see optomistic fans. The good thing about ricky is that he will be really cheap and a really good football player at the same time. Cameron is a huge plus to the head coach position because I know that he will make our offence good again and Capers will keep our defence good if not number one next year. We have the staff and the players to be great next year.

I think a lot of people are over-reacting to the horrible finish to last year (especially the coaching debacle).

Where people OVERESTIMATED the Phins last pre-season, I think we'll be UNDERestimated this time.

So.. here are the Ten Reasons I Think the Dolphins Will Have a Better Year Than Most People Expect:

1) Daunte will be better this year. He will definitely be healthier, and more mobile (simple case of time and rehab for that type of injury). He will already have some familiarity with the receivers.

2) Mularkey won;t be calling the plays. His philosophy, as stated by the offensive players last pre-season, was to put the onus on each player to win his one-on-one matchup for the play to work. This only works when your personnel are much better than your opponents' personnel (not always the case last year). Cam Cameron's philosophy (according to Cam) is to cook with the ingredients you have: if you are ABLE to do something well, then THAT'S what you do... if you have a weakness, you don't keep trying to run plays which depend on that weak link. That means we'll ADAPT gameplans to the strengths (and WEAKNESSES) of our personnel. That alone should mean longer drives and more points.

3) Olindo won't be missing all those field goals. Why? I don;t believe we'll keep him because we can get a kicker who kicks much more accurately at much less money. Last year was Olindo's worst... so even if he DOES come back, he is unlikely to have an even WORSE year.

4) Because we have depth that will see the field this year. I mean Dt's Vickerson and Evans, not to mention the potential of Rod Wright and the maybe-appearance of Manny Wright. All of them could be forces in the middle... odds are at least one or two will see significant time as Wilkinson's gone and Traylor may not return either, or willl need spelling. Also, Hagan showed promise and may be ready for increased time.

5) Last year's offense was sabotaged by a ton of O-Line injuries. The O-line is the heartbeat of the offense and when it develops problems, so does the offense. We had injuries to Anderson, Toledo, McKinney, Alabi, Jeno James, and Shelton... and I think I may even be missing people. MOST of those injuries were at guard. When you are down to playing your second string LEFT TACKLE at Right Guard because the first, second, third AND fourth strong Righ Guards have been injured... you KNOW there is a problem. This year we should have much more stability on the line. Also, Hudson got to teach them for a whole year (and he's a great teacher by all accounts).

6) Cam Cameron has a great reputation for improving QB's. If not Daunte, then there is still Joey, and also Cleo (who showed potential, and whom Cam knows and respects from San Diego). Cam was a QB himself, and has coached the following QB's in college and the NFL: Randle-El (College), Jim Harbaugh (college), Gus Frerotte (during his only Pro Bowl year), Drew Brees (four years at S.D.), and Phillip Rivers (S.D.). Not bad. If anyone can improve our QB play (and decide who to cut/who to bring in) it's Cam.

7) Ricky Williams may return. Say what you want about his antics, but when he DOES make it on the turf, he's the best offensive producer on our roster. That helps, big time.

8) Everyone underestimates us. That's a big plus heading into those first six to eight weeks. IN the NFL, with parity, you notice that most of the time the team that wins is the one that PLAYS HARDEST, not necessarily the most talented one. I think many teams will come in to play us without taking it seriously enough. Based on our rep from last year... if you had to face the Pats, then the Phins, then the Ravens for instance... would YOU bring it 110% for the Phins game mentally?

9) I'm a homer. Yes, this section accounts for my bias. They will be better simply because I love them and they need to be, so I can stop breaking things around the house on Sundays.

10) Last of all, the secondary has a year of experience in Capers' system now. This is also not an old secondary, so players like Jason Allen and Travis DDaniels are only going to be better this year. , Will Poole may figure in as a valubale nickel guy.. finally.

Last year I expected to start 2-3 in the first five games then improve steadily. SO much for the improving part. This year, I think we'll actually surprise people out of the gate, posting a 5-2 mark in the first seven games before faltering a bit... ultimately, I think this will be a 10-6 season.

Go Phins!

Five stars!

I think Cam will be able to get more out of our players just because he will have a better working relationship with them. That in itself should help win a few more games. I love having some positive posts amidsts all the junk on this board.

What are YOUR Ten Reasons We'll Be Better???? PLease try to be positive... the Phins give us enough heartache without us talking negatively on top of it.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Don't know how anybody could come up with 10 better reasons. Let me try and see how many I can come up with...

1) If we pick up Kris Dielman in free agency we'll be better. Then we could cut LJ Shelton or Jeno James.

2) Other free agents I'd like to see us pick up: Asante Samuel, Nate Clements, Adalius Thomas, Lance Briggs, Daniel Graham, or Donte Stallworth. Although I don't know how realistic it is to get even one of these guys.

3) If we draft Levi Brown we'll be better.

4) If we draft Ryan Kalil, Kyle Young, or Dan Mozes we'll be better.

5) If we draft Drew Stanton we'll be better.

6) If we draft a lockdown CB, a LB, a WR, and/or a kicker we'll better.

7) If Randy Mueller is the real deal then we'll be better.

8) That's it. I'm done. I guess it mostly comes down to personnel with me. But you already said everything I'd say about the non-personnel issues, Bpk.

We seem to have too many needs right now. But if the Fins address just half of them we'll be a better football team. The thing that concerns me most is our lack of depth. A couple of key injuries and we're done. But I guess you could say that about anybody.

• Ronnie and the oline ran better after the bye. Add Ricky? We should be more productive running the ball.
  • With some continuity and less injury and hopefully a little better talent the oline should give the QB more time to throw down field more.
  • Cam’s play calling.
  • Cam putting players in position to take advantage of their strengths.
  • We will have better production from our QB for all the reasons above plus Cam’s coaching.
  • All the above will give the offense more time of possession and more points.
  • The DB’s cut down their mental mistakes as the year progressed and gave up fewer game losing big plays. That by itself could will win another couple of games.
  • The DB’s have a year of experience together and in the system. Plus Jason Allen’s ability may have the experience to allow him to react instead of having to think about what to do. This will make the DB’s better.
  • Roth started to gain playing time later in the season because he earned it. I expect other young DL to earn more playing time next year. This could make the front 7 at least as good or better than last year.
  • With the O keeping the ball and scoring more the d will be on the field less and give up fewer yards and points.
[FONT=&quot]Taken all together adds up to more wins. And this doesn’t even consider that we played well enough at times to beat playoff teams.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of people are over-reacting to the horrible finish to last year (especially the coaching debacle).

Where people OVERESTIMATED the Phins last pre-season, I think we'll be UNDERestimated this time.

So.. here are the Ten Reasons I Think the Dolphins Will Have a Better Year Than Most People Expect:

1) Daunte will be better this year. He will definitely be healthier, and more mobile (simple case of time and rehab for that type of injury). He will already have some familiarity with the receivers.

2) Mularkey won;t be calling the plays. His philosophy, as stated by the offensive players last pre-season, was to put the onus on each player to win his one-on-one matchup for the play to work. This only works when your personnel are much better than your opponents' personnel (not always the case last year). Cam Cameron's philosophy (according to Cam) is to cook with the ingredients you have: if you are ABLE to do something well, then THAT'S what you do... if you have a weakness, you don't keep trying to run plays which depend on that weak link. That means we'll ADAPT gameplans to the strengths (and WEAKNESSES) of our personnel. That alone should mean longer drives and more points.

3) Olindo won't be missing all those field goals. Why? I don;t believe we'll keep him because we can get a kicker who kicks much more accurately at much less money. Last year was Olindo's worst... so even if he DOES come back, he is unlikely to have an even WORSE year.

4) Because we have depth that will see the field this year. I mean Dt's Vickerson and Evans, not to mention the potential of Rod Wright and the maybe-appearance of Manny Wright. All of them could be forces in the middle... odds are at least one or two will see significant time as Wilkinson's gone and Traylor may not return either, or willl need spelling. Also, Hagan showed promise and may be ready for increased time.

5) Last year's offense was sabotaged by a ton of O-Line injuries. The O-line is the heartbeat of the offense and when it develops problems, so does the offense. We had injuries to Anderson, Toledo, McKinney, Alabi, Jeno James, and Shelton... and I think I may even be missing people. MOST of those injuries were at guard. When you are down to playing your second string LEFT TACKLE at Right Guard because the first, second, third AND fourth strong Righ Guards have been injured... you KNOW there is a problem. This year we should have much more stability on the line. Also, Hudson got to teach them for a whole year (and he's a great teacher by all accounts).

6) Cam Cameron has a great reputation for improving QB's. If not Daunte, then there is still Joey, and also Cleo (who showed potential, and whom Cam knows and respects from San Diego). Cam was a QB himself, and has coached the following QB's in college and the NFL: Randle-El (College), Jim Harbaugh (college), Gus Frerotte (during his only Pro Bowl year), Drew Brees (four years at S.D.), and Phillip Rivers (S.D.). Not bad. If anyone can improve our QB play (and decide who to cut/who to bring in) it's Cam.

7) Ricky Williams may return. Say what you want about his antics, but when he DOES make it on the turf, he's the best offensive producer on our roster. That helps, big time.

8) Everyone underestimates us. That's a big plus heading into those first six to eight weeks. IN the NFL, with parity, you notice that most of the time the team that wins is the one that PLAYS HARDEST, not necessarily the most talented one. I think many teams will come in to play us without taking it seriously enough. Based on our rep from last year... if you had to face the Pats, then the Phins, then the Ravens for instance... would YOU bring it 110% for the Phins game mentally?

9) I'm a homer. Yes, this section accounts for my bias. They will be better simply because I love them and they need to be, so I can stop breaking things around the house on Sundays.

10) Last of all, the secondary has a year of experience in Capers' system now. This is also not an old secondary, so players like Jason Allen and Travis DDaniels are only going to be better this year. , Will Poole may figure in as a valubale nickel guy.. finally.

Last year I expected to start 2-3 in the first five games then improve steadily. SO much for the improving part. This year, I think we'll actually surprise people out of the gate, posting a 5-2 mark in the first seven games before faltering a bit... ultimately, I think this will be a 10-6 season.

Go Phins!

What are YOUR Ten Reasons We'll Be Better???? PLease try to be positive... the Phins give us enough heartache without us talking negatively on top of it.

Good post. Nice to see some optimism.

You guys will not be good as long as you start Daunte. Get rid of him.

I hope you guys get better. It's not fun beating you guys when your down.

You guys overachieved this year. I hope you enjoyed because you aren't touching the playoffs for a couple of more years.

Good post. Nice to see some optimism.

It sure is. A nice change around here.

Familiarity from what? From having sat out nearly the whole previous year? Gaining familiarity with your teammates and how they respond on the field relies on the guy actually playing.

Your assessment is easily made by his production with the Chargers. Keep in mind, we do not have the same personnel. Your definition of what he will do is far too general to explain an improvement. As it stands, we're mediocre to bad at everything we do on offense.

Who is this mystery kicker? Can't provide a name? Didn't think so. It's really easy to say "Oh well we'll get a kicker......."

Depth sure. What good is depth when they've gotten next to no experience. Counting on 4 or 5 games who've barely played is unrealistic. If those guys get significant playing time, we'll see a decrease in performance in the name of getting them experience.

Stability in what, mediocrity? That left side of the line is putrid. We don't have any ringers waiting to take over. Guys like Joe Toledo and Athony Alabi are there waiting for a chance, but again, have barely seen the field.

I'll concede he's good with QB's.

I'll concede this one.

You think based on what? If anything teams will look at us and understand that we're wildy inconsistent, but could knock them off if our defense is up to task. Assuming the whole league is underestimating us is baseless.

I got that impression from the start.

So injury riddled Will Poole is going to resurrect our nickel position? The only thing they have going for them is having a year under their belts. They still have a ton to work on.

Go Phins!

It's funny you think people overestimated us prior to the start of last season and you sit there and overestimate us right back. The only thing I can conclude is you've watched alot of Saints games this past year.

I pose a question to everyone................Why can't you all just be patient and hope we improve and rebuild rather than always jumping the gun with predictions of double digit wins? It's your unreasonable expectations that leave that sick feeling in your stomach at the end of every season. I myself would rather watch the team improve in steps over the span of 3 or 4 seasons than bank the year on miraculous turnarounds.

Who is this mystery kicker? Can't provide a name? Didn't think so. It's really easy to say "Oh well we'll get a kicker......."

The kicker is Matt Prater, former UCF kicker. I provided links to his bio and Lions info in the Olindo Mare thread. I'm still looking through the rest of your post, just wanted to eliminate this as a talking point for the time being.

The kicker is Matt Prater, former UCF kicker. I provided links to his bio and Lions info in the Olindo Mare thread. I'm still looking through the rest of your post, just wanted to eliminate this as a talking point for the time being.

So he's coming in and making every kick right, every single attempt?

So he's coming in and making every kick right, every single attempt?

Just finished up the rest of your thread, sorry bout that...

As far as Prater is concerned, he's certainly here to provide competition. The original poster may have been a bit overzealous, but we do have another kicker here at the least.

As far as the rest of your points go, there's not much to argue with. It's optimism v. pessimism, and in the end both sides are going to have to wait to see how things pan out.

Just finished up the rest of your thread, sorry bout that...

As far as Prater is concerned, he's certainly here to provide competition. The original poster may have been a bit overzealous, but we do have another kicker here at the least.

As far as the rest of your points go, there's not much to argue with. It's optimism v. pessimism, and in the end both sides are going to have to wait to see how things pan out.

I was just pointing out there other side it............

Again, personally, I think it's stupid to sit there and predict 10 wins based on what has transpired. Waiting and seeing is the best approach. I don't know what's so hard about that for some people.

I was just pointing out there other side it............

Again, personally, I think it's stupid to sit there and predict 10 wins based on what has transpired. Waiting and seeing is the best approach. I don't know what's so hard about that for some people.

Optimism is more fun in the meantime? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom