10 Reasons The Phins Will Be Better | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

10 Reasons The Phins Will Be Better

Bpk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are over-reacting to the horrible finish to last year (especially the coaching debacle).

Where people OVERESTIMATED the Phins last pre-season, I think we'll be UNDERestimated this time.

So.. here are the Ten Reasons I Think the Dolphins Will Have a Better Year Than Most People Expect:

1) Daunte will be better this year. He will definitely be healthier, and more mobile (simple case of time and rehab for that type of injury). He will already have some familiarity with the receivers.

2) Mularkey won;t be calling the plays. His philosophy, as stated by the offensive players last pre-season, was to put the onus on each player to win his one-on-one matchup for the play to work. This only works when your personnel are much better than your opponents' personnel (not always the case last year). Cam Cameron's philosophy (according to Cam) is to cook with the ingredients you have: if you are ABLE to do something well, then THAT'S what you do... if you have a weakness, you don't keep trying to run plays which depend on that weak link. That means we'll ADAPT gameplans to the strengths (and WEAKNESSES) of our personnel. That alone should mean longer drives and more points.

3) Olindo won't be missing all those field goals. Why? I don;t believe we'll keep him because we can get a kicker who kicks much more accurately at much less money. Last year was Olindo's worst... so even if he DOES come back, he is unlikely to have an even WORSE year.

4) Because we have depth that will see the field this year. I mean Dt's Vickerson and Evans, not to mention the potential of Rod Wright and the maybe-appearance of Manny Wright. All of them could be forces in the middle... odds are at least one or two will see significant time as Wilkinson's gone and Traylor may not return either, or willl need spelling. Also, Hagan showed promise and may be ready for increased time.

5) Last year's offense was sabotaged by a ton of O-Line injuries. The O-line is the heartbeat of the offense and when it develops problems, so does the offense. OL Injuries included: Berger (out, foot then cut in Nov.), McKinney (IR), Anderson (IR), Toledo (IR), Janeo James (knee surgery), Rex played through some injuries, and I had thought either Shelton or MacIntosh were playing injured at some point but I may have just been so traumatized by then that I was imagining things. I thought either CJ Brooks or Orrin Thompson were also banged up before we cut them.. MOST of those injuries were at guard. When you are down to playing your second string LEFT TACKLE at Right Guard because the first, second, third AND fourth strong Righ Guards have been injured... you KNOW there is a problem. This year we should have much more stability on the line. Also, Hudson got to teach them for a whole year (and he's a great teacher by all accounts).

6) Cam Cameron has a great reputation for improving QB's. If not Daunte, then there is still Joey, and also Cleo (who showed potential, and whom Cam knows and respects from San Diego). Cam was a QB himself, and has coached the following QB's in college and the NFL: Randle-El (College), Jim Harbaugh (college), Gus Frerotte (during his only Pro Bowl year), Drew Brees (four years at S.D.), and Phillip Rivers (S.D.). Not bad. If anyone can improve our QB play (and decide who to cut/who to bring in) it's Cam.

7) Ricky Williams may return. Say what you want about his antics, but when he DOES make it on the turf, he's the best offensive producer on our roster. That helps, big time.

8) Everyone underestimates us. That's a big plus heading into those first six to eight weeks. IN the NFL, with parity, you notice that most of the time the team that wins is the one that PLAYS HARDEST, not necessarily the most talented one. I think many teams will come in to play us without taking it seriously enough. Based on our rep from last year... if you had to face the Pats, then the Phins, then the Ravens for instance... would YOU bring it 110% for the Phins game mentally?

9) I'm a homer. Yes, this section accounts for my bias. They will be better simply because I love them and they need to be, so I can stop breaking things around the house on Sundays.

10) Last of all, the secondary has a year of experience in Capers' system now. This is also not an old secondary, so players like Jason Allen and Travis DDaniels are only going to be better this year. , Will Poole may figure in as a valubale nickel guy.. finally.

Last year I expected to start 2-3 in the first five games then improve steadily. SO much for the improving part. This year, I think we'll actually surprise people out of the gate, posting a 5-2 mark in the first seven games before faltering a bit... ultimately, I think this will be a 10-6 season.

Go Phins!

What are YOUR Ten Reasons We'll Be Better???? PLease try to be positive... the Phins give us enough heartache without us talking negatively on top of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of people are over-reacting to the horrible finish to last year (especially the coaching debacle).

Where people OVERESTIMATED the Phins last pre-season, I think we'll be UNDERestimated this time.

So.. here are the Ten Reasons I Think the Dolphins Will Have a Better Year Than Most People Expect:

1) Daunte will be better this year. He will definitely be healthier, and more mobile (simple case of time and rehab for that type of injury). He will already have some familiarity with the receivers.

2) Mularkey won;t be calling the plays. His philosophy, as stated by the offensive players last pre-season, was to put the onus on each player to win his one-on-one matchup for the play to work. This only works when your personnel are much better than your opponents' personnel (not always the case last year). Cam Cameron's philosophy (according to Cam) is to cook with the ingredients you have: if you are ABLE to do something well, then THAT'S what you do... if you have a weakness, you don't keep trying to run plays which depend on that weak link. That means we'll ADAPT gameplans to the strengths (and WEAKNESSES) of our personnel. That alone should mean longer drives and more points.

3) Olindo won't be missing all those field goals. Why? I don;t believe we'll keep him because we can get a kicker who kicks much more accurately at much less money. Last year was Olindo's worst... so even if he DOES come back, he is unlikely to have an even WORSE year.

4) Because we have depth that will see the field this year. I mean Dt's Vickerson and Evans, not to mention the potential of Rod Wright and the maybe-appearance of Manny Wright. All of them could be forces in the middle... odds are at least one or two will see significant time as Wilkinson's gone and Traylor may not return either, or willl need spelling. Also, Hagan showed promise and may be ready for increased time.

5) Last year's offense was sabotaged by a ton of O-Line injuries. The O-line is the heartbeat of the offense and when it develops problems, so does the offense. We had injuries to Anderson, Toledo, McKinney, Alabi, Jeno James, and Shelton... and I think I may even be missing people. MOST of those injuries were at guard. When you are down to playing your second string LEFT TACKLE at Right Guard because the first, second, third AND fourth strong Righ Guards have been injured... you KNOW there is a problem. This year we should have much more stability on the line. Also, Hudson got to teach them for a whole year (and he's a great teacher by all accounts).

6) Cam Cameron has a great reputation for improving QB's. If not Daunte, then there is still Joey, and also Cleo (who showed potential, and whom Cam knows and respects from San Diego). Cam was a QB himself, and has coached the following QB's in college and the NFL: Randle-El (College), Jim Harbaugh (college), Gus Frerotte (during his only Pro Bowl year), Drew Brees (four years at S.D.), and Phillip Rivers (S.D.). Not bad. If anyone can improve our QB play (and decide who to cut/who to bring in) it's Cam.

7) Ricky Williams may return. Say what you want about his antics, but when he DOES make it on the turf, he's the best offensive producer on our roster. That helps, big time.

8) Everyone underestimates us. That's a big plus heading into those first six to eight weeks. IN the NFL, with parity, you notice that most of the time the team that wins is the one that PLAYS HARDEST, not necessarily the most talented one. I think many teams will come in to play us without taking it seriously enough. Based on our rep from last year... if you had to face the Pats, then the Phins, then the Ravens for instance... would YOU bring it 110% for the Phins game mentally?

9) I'm a homer. Yes, this section accounts for my bias. They will be better simply because I love them and they need to be, so I can stop breaking things around the house on Sundays.

10) Last of all, the secondary has a year of experience in Capers' system now. This is also not an old secondary, so players like Jason Allen and Travis DDaniels are only going to be better this year. Also, Will Poole may figure in as a valubale nickel guy.. finally.

Last year I expected to start 2-3 in the first five games then improve steadily. SO much for the improving part. This year, I think we'll actually surprise people out of the gate, posting a 5-2 mark in the first seven games before faltering a bit... ultimately, I think this will be a 10-6 season.

Go Phins!

What are YOUR Ten Reasons We'll Be Better???? PLease try to be positive... the Phins give us enough heartache without us talking negatively on top of it.

Good list. I actually had a dream that we drafted WR Ted Ginn and TE Greg Olsen #'s 1 and 2. I'd like to see Joe Toledo and Toniu Fonoti step it up, and at tackle maybe Levi Brown is the answer- GBN was negative on him at the Senior Bowl, but elsewhere it's been written that he kicked butt, go figure. Is Will Poole still on the team in some shape or form or has he been cut outright?

Good list. I actually had a dream that we drafted WR Ted Ginn and TE Greg Olsen #'s 1 and 2. I'd like to see Joe Toledo and Toniu Fonoti step it up, and at tackle maybe Levi Brown is the answer- GBN was negative on him at the Senior Bowl, but elsewhere it's been written that he kicked butt, go figure. Is Will Poole still on the team in some shape or form or has he been cut outright?

I'd LOVE to see us get a solid Left Tackle.

And Poole was cut. Guessing we'd be one of few teams that'd invite him to camp, though, if he wants to show up.

Excellent post/thread, I agree with your points. I like having Mueller in charge of the draft, that should assure us of getting at least 2-3 new players who can contribute next season, ulike last year's draft under satan. Cam should help the offense considerably, combined with Daunte coming back at full strength we should put a lot more points on the board. With Capers back, our D should be at least as good, if not better after a year of training under him. And I hope you're right about the secondary being better after their experience under Capers.

I hope we draft Levi Brown, and maybe a center in round 3 or 4, give Houck a healthier OL and just a bit more talent to work with and our OL should open more running holes as well as give Daunte more time to throw and the WR's better time to develop their routes, get open, and improve their timing with Daunte. Hopefully the new WR coach (who? Carmichael?) can help Chambers and McMichael improve their concentration & catching skills.

I am very enthused about next year under Randy, Cam and Dom, I think they make a good trio. I feel we were close last year & could see a turnaround of the level achieved by the Saints last year. I expect a winning season, either 9-7 or maybe even 10-6. Can't wait till draft days to see what we get. the more I hear about Cam the better I feel about a turnaround next season.

GO FINS!

You guys will not be good as long as you start Daunte. Get rid of him.

I hope you guys get better. It's not fun beating you guys when your down.

5) Last year's offense was sabotaged by a ton of O-Line injuries. The O-line is the heartbeat of the offense and when it develops problems, so does the offense. We had injuries to Anderson, Toledo, McKinney, Alabi, Jeno James, and Shelton... and I think I may even be missing people. MOST of those injuries were at guard. When you are down to playing your second string LEFT TACKLE at Right Guard because the first, second, third AND fourth strong Righ Guards have been injured... you KNOW there is a problem. This year we should have much more stability on the line. Also, Hudson got to teach them for a whole year (and he's a great teacher by all accounts).

10) Last of all, the secondary has a year of experience in Capers' system now. This is also not an old secondary, so players like Jason Allen and Travis DDaniels are only going to be better this year. , Will Poole may figure in as a valubale nickel guy.. finally.

Go Phins!

In other words, we can't really do much worse.

Yeah, coming from a J E S T S fan this post has merit:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Now then, back to the thread
Outstanding list BPK. I also noted many times last year that the O-line dessimation was huge. We actually do have solid talent at the oline, just hard when you have to juggle them each week.

I am also going to watch closely to see how Capers guys (DEFENSE OBVIOUSLY) shape up this year. Before becoming a headcoach, he was noted as one of the absolute top-teir defensive coordinators.

This comming from a guy who likes a BS team that shouldn't have even been in the playoffs to begin with. Your Jets got ousted by a team we beat 21-0, but we can't beat your pathetic excuse for a team that calls them self a NY team, but plays in scuzzy new jersey, not to mention Pennington had no right winning comeback player of the year too. I hate the Jets so much and it will feel great when we sweep them next year

It's going to take time to turn the team around. The offense will have to learn a new system. Cam has to decide who his QB is - Per Lemon it's open season here. I'd be happy to go 8-8 and look competitive in most of the game. If we do better great.

Remember there should be younger players at the DT position, so there may be growing pains. And the offense will need time to adjust to Cam's offense.

Give Cam two years to turn it around and the we have a right to expect something. He can insert the young players drafted by Saban and a few of his own. He can shake the offense up.

Peraonally I don't think Cam is going to put up with a player that doesn't hustle and perform all the time. He'll cut him and find someone else. A similar trait Don Shula had.

Go away, hater!

Go Phins!

Huh??? When was Alabi and Shelton ever injured last season? I think you dreamed that one up there, bud. :lol:

the biggest reason we will be better is because of Cam Cameron, he will make the offense better with his playcalling and he will make whoever is the QB better. plus we have a high 1st rounder and unlike last year we will be able to get a player who will contribe right away. Jason Allen was all potential and wasn't NFL ready, a guy like Gaines Adams for example is more prepared for the NFL

We'll we can't possibly be any worse.

Good write up BPK.

You forgot to add that Mueller knows his ****.

The Defense won't be on the field all the damn time.

The defense should get younger

The OL will be improved.

If Nodle arm can come back from two rotator cuff injuries, then Daunte can come back from a shredded knee.

Back
Top Bottom