"12 things we learned about the Dolphins (other than QB battle)" -Volin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"12 things we learned about the Dolphins (other than QB battle)" -Volin

NYPhin24

Scout Team
Reaction score
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...an-the-qb-battle-from-day-1-of-training-camp/

2. Ross had an interesting comment about David Garrard’s role: “I think he adds an awful lot of insurance to the quarterback position, and he’s certainly going to compete for a starting job.” The “insurance” part seems to indicate that Matt Moore is probably the favorite to win the job. But of course, it all has to play out in camp.

3. The most notable thing about practice today? The fast tempo. Not only were drills conducted at a brisk pace, but the Dolphins also had two offenses going at the same time on opposite ends of the field, so that Moore, Garrard and Pat Devlin all got plenty of snaps, as did the receivers and defense. “We’ve got to be leading the league right now with the most snaps in practice,” Garrard said. “It’s pretty cool to see how many snaps you can get off.” Said cornerback Sean Smith: “With this pace, it’s going to allow us to learn how to react and work without talking.”

8. Brian Hartline, who missed most of the offseason program with appendicitis and a calf injury, was clearly running fourth among receivers behind Chad Johnson, Davone Bess and Legedu Naanee. And Steve Slaton got a lot of work with the first-team offense, along with Bush and Daniel Thomas.

10. Smith, on the biggest difference between playing for Philbin instead of Tony Sparano: “it’s a real positive vibe going on here. All the players want to do good for him, and definitely for ourselves. To have a new staff, a fresh start, it’s just a real good vibe around here. I feel like a rookie all over again. New coach, new scheme, I got to come out and compete and show it all over again. I love it.”

12. Earlier this week, Hartline said to watch out for Julius Pruitt and Roberto Wallace as his sleeper picks to make the roster. Friday, Sean Smith was asked to point out a couple of players who have stood out, and he also picked Wallace and Pruitt. “Two guys that are definitely getting their fair shot,” Smith said. “I saw Pruitt in the slot today, and that’s something you’ve never seen him do before. And Roberto, with the short, intermediate routes, to see him run his slants and 5 yard digs, it was good. Coming out of his breaks, he’s a whole lot quicker.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...an-the-qb-battle-from-day-1-of-training-camp/

2. Ross had an interesting comment about David Garrard’s role: “I think he adds an awful lot of insurance to the quarterback position, and he’s certainly going to compete for a starting job.” The “insurance” part seems to indicate that Matt Moore is probably the favorite to win the job. But of course, it all has to play out in camp.

I think he meant insurance in case Matt More struggles. I dont think he's insinuating Matt More was the predetermines starter, although I am pulling for him.

Hartline clearly injured, Ross should STFU, loving the fast tempo it can have so many benefits, thinking fast, fitness, extra reps etc. Honestly think either Pruitt or Wallace need to step up this year, can't see rookies doing much especially in a system where you are expected to learn all the different roles.

Whats Hartline's injury? Still from last year?

I think he was referring to the appendectomy that Hartline had a few weeks ago.

Thanks. Should that be holding him back at this point? I wonder if there's something else they arent telling us.

I hope Roberto can really show us something. At times he looks like a legit WR.

Thanks. Should that be holding him back at this point? I wonder if there's something else they arent telling us.

It probably is just from a conditioning standpoint. You're not allowed to do much physically for a couple weeks after that surgery while the incision heals up.

I think Hartline should probably take it easy for a little while atleast. I imagine it can't feel too great this soon after being sliced up. Idk how long ago it was though.

I like what Smith is saying about Wallace.

The fact that the Dolphins just started practicing up tempo to capitalize on the heat speaks volumes about the brain-part of our braintrust the past few years. I never doubted Sparano's heart but the rest . . .

I'm curious how well they can implement the hurried-up offense (not even calling it a 2-minute offense). I've watched Oregon do it and am amazed at the pace, the conditioning necessary. Whether the Dolphins can take advantage of it (and for a longer season) will be interesting to watch. I think the level of coordination between the QB and the offensive coordinator are a lot higher.

I think Hartline should probably take it easy for a little while atleast. I imagine it can't feel too great this soon after being sliced up. Idk how long ago it was though.

I like what Smith is saying about Wallace.

Give me a break! Matt Cassell missed one game and his appendix burst requiring a open procedure.

Sorry to ruin a bit of controversy, but Ross said "assurance" not "insurance".

Back
Top Bottom