123phins 1st Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

123phins 1st Mock

123phins

Active Roster
Reaction score
Based on what has been done so far in FA and not what they might do leading up to the draft.

Round 1- Pick 19: Zack Martin

Fits a glaring need, fits the scheme, can play guard or tackle and is a Starter once drafted. Only knock on him is short arms but i havent seen or heard anything about his short arms preventing him from being a great blocker.

Round 2- Pick 50: Troy Niklas

First I was against this pick because i dont think we need a tight end desperately enough to take one this early but after the top 4 TE's it goes soft in this draft and with the depth of the draft you can make it up easily. I think Niklas is the second best TE other than Ebron. Im not a fan of Amero and Jenkins didnt have a great year, That said he is rated 4th by many and should still be available at 50.

Round 3- Pick 81: Billy Turner

At this point of how the O-line is shaping this could be a risky pick. He comes from a small school and is more of a raw prospect, and unless they sign a solid RT he may be expected to start right away. That said he may have the potential to be an all pro after being coached up.

Round 4- Pick 112: Charles Sims

Not too sure about this pick but his a big strong back and could bring the power game to pair up with Miller's speed game.

Round 5- Pick 143: Isaiah Lewis

Was part of a top college secondary in Michigan state. I honestly have seen anything other than the combine on him. He could be a solid backup and good special teamer.

Round 6- Pick 174: Brandon Linder

Another hybrid guy that could play either guard or tackle and be good depth and down the road a couple years he can be a solid starter.

Let me know what you think. Im not a scout, dont watch college ball so im going off what i have read or heard

Mason or Sankey or Hill would make good draft pick and upgrade for the phins. Take anyone when the time comes.

That draft greatly improves the offensive line so I like that aspect of it. I think Turner is going to be a really good player and I could see him actually going in the 2nd round, although most mocks have him 3rd round range. Martin is as solid as they come and could play RT so he brings versatility.

My only complaint is this draft does nothing to improve the Dolphins linebackers, which I see as a big need. After one year's evaluation, it looks like the team missed on both Wheeler and Ellerbe. Misi is solid, but nothing special. Jordan is apparently only viewed as a defensive end. In my opinion, the team needs to find one really good starter here -- the type of player you can build a defense around.

That draft greatly improves the offensive line so I like that aspect of it. I think Turner is going to be a really good player and I could see him actually going in the 2nd round, although most mocks have him 3rd round range. Martin is as solid as they come and could play RT so he brings versatility.

My only complaint is this draft does nothing to improve the Dolphins linebackers, which I see as a big need. After one year's evaluation, it looks like the team missed on both Wheeler and Ellerbe. Misi is solid, but nothing special. Jordan is apparently only viewed as a defensive end. In my opinion, the team needs to find one really good starter here -- the type of player you can build a defense around.

The difference between me an many phin fans is i dont see the huge need at LB. Yes Wheeler and Ellerbee didn't have great years but with the money invested in them you have to play it out. I give them one more year and if they are bad im putting in Jenkins for Wheeler and maybe swap a latter round pick i have for a LB With them both learning the system last year they may be much better this year now because they wont be thinking as much and it will be more instinctive.

Honestly if we had signed Moreno and if we do sign a RB at some point that 4th rounder for me would be a LB. In all this team didn't miss the playoffs due to LB play they missed out because of the line and right now we have empty spot on OL that have to be addressed over LB spot where we already have some big money invested.

I like the players...and I think you got some pretty good value with most of the picks. I love Billy Turner...I think hes a plug and play RT. Though I agree with SF you better take him at 50 or he will be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd (my opinion). That said...if you think you can get Turner then there is no way I would take Martin in the 1st to play guard. I just cant get down with a guard at 19 unless we are talking about a guy like Jonathon Cooper and hes nowhere near that level.

I like the players...and I think you got some pretty good value with most of the picks. I love Billy Turner...I think hes a plug and play RT. Though I agree with SF you better take him at 50 or he will be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd (my opinion). That said...if you think you can get Turner then there is no way I would take Martin in the 1st to play guard. I just cant get down with a guard at 19 unless we are talking about a guy like Jonathon Cooper and hes nowhere near that level.

My thinking about the OL is you take Martin in the first and that leaves you the opportunity to take the best Guard or Tackle available and the best fit in another round. Say Turner is gone by the time we pick in the third as you say is possible. With Martin selected in the first you have the flexibility to take either a Tackle or Guard such as Bitonio, Steen, or Trai Turner.

And Cooper was a top 10 pick as well as Warmack was top 10. at 19 you will never get a top guard like that because they dont last that long.

The difference between me an many phin fans is i dont see the huge need at LB. Yes Wheeler and Ellerbee didn't have great years but with the money invested in them you have to play it out. I give them one more year and if they are bad im putting in Jenkins for Wheeler and maybe swap a latter round pick i have for a LB With them both learning the system last year they may be much better this year now because they wont be thinking as much and it will be more instinctive.

Honestly if we had signed Moreno and if we do sign a RB at some point that 4th rounder for me would be a LB. In all this team didn't miss the playoffs due to LB play they missed out because of the line and right now we have empty spot on OL that have to be addressed over LB spot where we already have some big money invested.
There's some merit in that thinking. If Miami can turn a big weakness on the offensive line into a strength, it improves everyone on offense. Tannehill has that extra second or two to find an open receiver, the running game improves etc. The connection between Wallace and Tannehill should become stronger (Tanny can trust he has more time).

If we come out of the off season drastically improving one area, the offensive line is certainly where I'd like to see that happen. That said, if Mosley or Shazier is there at #19 along with Martin, I'd go for the linebacker and then work the rest of the draft to improve the offensive line.

There's some merit in that thinking. If Miami can turn a big weakness on the offensive line into a strength, it improves everyone on offense. Tannehill has that extra second or two to find an open receiver, the running game improves etc. The connection between Wallace and Tannehill should become stronger (Tanny can trust he has more time).

If we come out of the off season drastically improving one area, the offensive line is certainly where I'd like to see that happen. That said, if Mosley or Shazier is there at #19 along with Martin, I'd go for the linebacker and then work the rest of the draft to improve the offensive line.

If they really are looking to go LB in this draft i could see them going their in the first because im not too convinced of the depth at LB. That said after the Jackson talk i havent heard of anything coming fro the LB position other than Misi and Ellerbee switching so maybe Coyle, Philban, and Hickey wanna play it out with the new LB coach and the guys that they have. It wouldnt surprise me if they chose to get a top LB but i see more need in other places myself.

Back
Top Bottom