16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan

Good read. For people bashing the kid do you not think Jordan is a boom or bust type prospect? Obviously since we picked him his ceiling is greatest ever and his floor Jason Taylor type great. I have a feeling if the Jets would have picked him he would be labeled Gholston 2.0 by 95% of the members here.

He does have some nice things to say about Dion Sims, I'm much more excited about that pick now after reading.

this article changed your opinion? really?

The problem with the whole "what was he last year" method of thinking is you have NO IDEA what he was rated a year ago. You just don't. This 16 year old doesn't. Nobody does. What was he rated, according to whom? Because I took a look at him a year ago and thought he had 1st round written all over him, 2nd round at the latest.

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

Good read. For people bashing the kid do you not think Jordan is a boom or bust type prospect? Obviously since we picked him his ceiling is greatest ever and his floor Jason Taylor type great. I have a feeling if the Jets would have picked him he would be labeled Gholston 2.0 by 95% of the members here.

He does have some nice things to say about Dion Sims, I'm much more excited about that pick now after reading.

Thank you. One poster demonstrated an ability to relax and evaluate. Found the nugget. The primary reason I posted this thread was the wildly disparate opinions the kid had on Dion Jordan and Dion Sims. He offered the most negative report on Jordan, and perhaps the most positive one on Sims. Certainly the most glowing one I've seen.

I bookmarked this kid's site a month ago. I read everything weeks ago. I knew he hated Jordan. If I wanted to be cruel I would have posted the Sims evaluation first, and roped in posters to praising the young evaluator. Then dumped the Jordan appraisal. Or never mentioned the Jordan report, and allowed someone to inevitably find it.

This method always had far greater potential. Thanks for playing.

If you're ripping me, there's a huge chance you've already missed the point, but never saw it fly over your head. :lol:

BTW, re the happy meal, I despise McDonald's. I do love the Jets. Disregarding the value of early evaluation is never smart.

I pity anyone who feels the need to make reference to underaged anything.

Everyone has an opinion....this kid is almost as bad as Omar.

yes because all high picks are studs

Some are and some are not. I watch a lot of PAC-12 games as an ASU and CU grad and it doesn't sound like the kid knows what he is talking about. Oregon's system makes it tough to really judge Jordan's ability, in large part because they have a very fast paced, high scoring offense. Jordan wasn't really on the field as much as your typical DE. But to say that Jordan is lousy or a third rounder is just plain ignorant.

No improvement year to year? Yeah, getting almost-burned-to-death will do that for you.

Disregarding the inevitable turmoil of this thread, I think Mackenzie is a hell of an evaluator. I wanted to give him some publicity and I'm sure we'll hear from him again.

Even if I have to do it. :lol:

My only hesitation the past few days was concern that Dolphin fans would bombard his twitter, or similar.

But I don't fear too much, other than 30 more years of our failed stadium.

I forget which capsule I read first, after stumbling upon the site a month or so ago. It was an immediate eye opener. Such a contrast to the typical safe garbage conventional wisdom. Extraordinarily detailed and thought provoking. He asks questions then answers them defiantly. Covers aspects that others ignore, like Dion Jordan's use of his hands. My only frustration was the gap between entries, once I caught up with everything. I expected the typical cram session leading up to the draft. Instead, it followed the normal schedule. He didn't detail Sims until a week prior to the draft. I disagreed with that one -- overly positive -- but that's never a concern when the caliber of writing is so high and the opinion commanding.

The format is fantastic, far superior to standard methods. Mackenzie provides flash positives and negatives first, instead of wandering text. I can't believe so many scouting reports do it the other way. It enables a quick vision of the player, and captures the reader. When I'm reading Pro Football Weekly's preview book, no matter how impressive it is, I tend to fall asleep, or forget who I'm reading about, when Nolan Nawrocki leads off every player with a high school summation.

Mackenzie deftly expands on everything. The ending is well done also, with a comparison to a prominent NFL player. That serves to tie everything together, a mental image. Then he announces where he would draft the player, and where he expects him to be picked.

Probably the most brilliant aspect of all is Mackenzie's reliance on scouting reports he wrote months and months ago, sometimes nearly a year ago. There's no panic to update and conform.

Shouldn't "scout" be in quotes in the title? :)

I got the impression the author used the majority of his report to zero in on exposing the negative aspects of his game because he already decided he didn't like the player much. I see Jordan as an explosive athlete off the edge. I don't think the author credits Jordan enough for his athleticism, and I think Jordan is quicker than he gives him credit for too. I don't think Jordan is as bad of a tackler as he makes out, I see no mention of Jordan's high end motor. I actually agree with a lot of what he says -- Jordan's hand usage could definitely use some work, he does need to work on adding some more pass rushing moves (although not to the extent the author claims), and he needs to be better against the run. But to quantify him as a 'bust' based on these few weaknesses, without giving a thorough summary of the positives, seemed a little harsh.

Thanks for posting, though. I agree it is incredibly detailed and it was refreshing to read another point of view, even if I don't happen to agree with some of it.

I got the impression the author used the majority of his report to zero in on exposing the negative aspects of his game because he already decided he didn't like the player much. I see Jordan as an explosive athlete off the edge. I don't think the author credits Jordan enough for his athleticism, and I think Jordan is quicker than he gives him credit for too. I don't think Jordan is as bad of a tackler as he makes out, I see no mention of Jordan's high end motor. I actually agree with a lot of what he says -- Jordan's hand usage could definitely use some work, he does need to work on adding some more pass rushing moves (although not to the extent the author claims), and he needs to be better against the run. But to quantify him as a 'bust' based on these few weaknesses, without giving a thorough summary of the positives, seemed a little harsh.

Thanks for posting, though. I agree it is incredibly detailed and it was refreshing to read another point of view, even if I don't happen to agree with some of it.

Maybe true, he does bash Jordan a little more in his Patterson scouting report.

Some are and some are not. I watch a lot of PAC-12 games as an ASU and CU grad and it doesn't sound like the kid knows what he is talking about. Oregon's system makes it tough to really judge Jordan's ability, in large part because they have a very fast paced, high scoring offense. Jordan wasn't really on the field as much as your typical DE. But to say that Jordan is lousy or a third rounder is just plain ignorant.

some first rounders play like third rounders/ if someone said that about ghouslton years ago it might sound ingnorant

The kid loves Mingo and I have to agree with him, Mingo will be a beast in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom