16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan

That article was posted back in January so his evaluation of Dion Jordan was before he was drafted by the Dolphins. However, the simple fact that he says Jordan lacks quickness is more than enough for me not to take him seriously as an evaluator.

WTF..

That Explains It.

To quote Douglas Adams:

His mouth started to speak, but his brain decided it hadn't got anything to say yet and shut it again. His brain then started to contend with the problem of what his eyes told it they were looking at, but in doing so relinquished control of the mouth which promptly fell open again. Once more gathering up the jaw, his brain lost control of his left hand which then wandered around in an aimless fashion. For a second or so the brain tried to catch the left hand without letting go of the mouth..

In the video I saw of Jordan it was like watching the CFL video of Cam Wake before Ireland snatched him for the Dolphins. Wake was raw then, but his athleticism and motor were obvious. His work ethic was also well known at that time. The only question for the Dolphins was whether or not they could coach him up to apply the potential. That is what I think Ireland/Philbin see in Jordan. Were they hoping for Cam Wake 2.0 in Jordan? Yeah, I believe so. I definitely can't knock our staff for rolling the dice on this kid. We could be a big winner with this guy. It's time to take risks like this if we ever want to be perennial Super Bowl contenders again.

And as much as the debbie downers want to make it seem like everything about this franchise is just so horrible. The one thing they can't even say is the play of our defensive line. And a lot has to do with Kacy Rodgers..

Just wait until Kacy Rodgers and George Edwards get their hands on this MONSTER!!

The second he said "he lacks explosiveness", I discounted the whole article. As I've seen, and from what I have heard from the national pundits the one thing this kid is explosive.

Didn't you just contradict yourself there?

I don't believe so. The kid seems to be referring to some universally-accepted draft consensus of where a guy "is rated" at a point in time. That doesn't exist, and a consensus doesn't start to form until the NFL really starts revving its engines on a guy through the draft process. All you're down to is individual opinions. Is the kid saying that a year ago HE rated Dion Jordan as a 3rd round pick? If so, he should say that. But you rarely find people doing that. The kid is trying to make the argument stronger by claiming a consensus that doesn't exist. If you're making the argument that where a guy was rated a year ago is more relevant than where he is rated today, and you clarify that what you mean is that where YOU rated him a year ago is more important than where YOU rate him today, then people can easily cast that point aside. Your opinion a year ago was simply wrong, The further in advance of the draft you go, the more scattershot the opinions. So that's easy to dismiss. But the kid's not trying to do that. He's claiming there was a consensus a year ago, and that he knows it. I don't agree with either.

Mackenzie Pantoja

High school junior from Cincinnati. I discovered this kid's scouting reports about a month ago. I absolutely love them, whether I agree or not. He's wonderfully blunt, and unafraid to take his own path.

Why wouldn't he be blunt? No one takes him seriously enough to give enough of a **** to be offended by his opinions.

What stood out to me first in his evaluation of Dion Jordan was saying that Jordan is "absolutely awful" against the run.

It stood out because of how completely opposite of true the statement was.

For perspective sake: this kid's not thrilled with the #1 pick either. IMO, he does a good job of furthering his opinion which certainly he's entitled to, but when the smoke clears, that's all it is - and not necessarily any more informed than the perspective of the scouts who get paid to go to games and get access to all the films.

http://nflmocks.com/2013/03/01/eric-fisher-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Should I put more weight in some kid's evaluation or that of professional football scouts?

Not saying this kids right (and I didn't like the Jordan pick myself) but didn't a professional draft Tim Tebow in the first round?

In the interests of this "what you said a year ago matters more than what you think now" notion (which I patently disagree with)...here's what I thought of Dion Jordan a year ago:

6/15/2012 said:
Let me just say that Dion Jordan definitely has my attention. Thanks for the recommendation. Have some game tapes to acquire, now.

6/18/2012 said:
04. DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon - Tall. Hands. Punch, shock, shiver. Strong side linebacker. Hits tight ends. Hits backs. Quick off snap. Length. Outside rush. Counters. Decent control. Speed. Acceleration. Tight end background. Aware.

7/20/2012 said:
Between Bjoern Werner, James Gayle, Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor...and maybe even guys like Malliciah Goodman and Cornellius Carradine...I just see a bunch of guys that are showing things I wish I'd have seen from Olivier Vernon.

7/21/2012 said:
I'd rather start populating the DL with some big, lengthy and explosive pass rushers...guys like I just named, Dion Jordan, Bjoern Werner, Cornellius Carradine, James Gayle, maybe Malliciah Goodman.

10/5/2012 said:
At pass rusher I really love Bjoern Werner, James Gayle, Dion Jordan, Corey Lemonier, Morgan Breslin, Cornellius Carridine and Alex Okafor.

And if *my* one-year-ago opinions aren't good enough for you (I'm saying this sarcastically btw, lol), then how about THIS little tidbit from Rotoworld written on September 3rd, 2012?

Oregon senior DE/LB Dion Jordan and LSU junior DE Barkevious Mingo were named in a poll that asked 20 NFL personnel members, "Five years from now, who will be the best defensive player (in the NFL)?"

The two were the only current college players named in the entire 20 question survey. This is tremendously exciting for us, because we have been pushing Jordan's name for some time, but to have he and Mingo listed along with the likes of Jason Pierre-Paul, Ndamukong Suh, and Von Miller is a tremendous compliment. Watch for Jordan's name to be mentioned much more often in the near future.

So again...if you want to know why this "one year ago EVERYONE was saying this, but now they're saying this" argument isn't holding any water with me whatsoever....well, now ya know. :)

as Vaark pointed out here's the kid's analysis for the first over all pick

-Mediocre run blocker, even against terrible competition
-Mediocre on balance as a run blocker
-Lacks strength on film
-Pretty soft
-Gets an awful initial punch
-Below average on field awareness, namely as a run blocker
-Leans on his hands (leans as in puts his weight on, not relies on)
-Solid flexibility, but not flexible enough to make up for his height

Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher is one of the more overrated prospects of the draft. His length and athleticism are elite, but his maddening lack of production as a run blocker against mediocre competition will not serve him well in the NFL.

Bet KC is kicking themselves for not reading his analysis before they picked.:crazy:

I don't mind that he's young, personally. Although the age does bely a lack of experience, which is something I do mind. But he could've been seriously evaluating football talent since he was 13 for all I know, at which point he's got some experience so I mind less.

I do mind that he thinks he knows what "everyone" thought of Dion Jordan a year ago, but that's a pretty common mistake made by 60 years olds let alone 16 year olds.

I will say this. I think he's a bit wrongheaded on Dion Jordan and also Dion Sims.

Back
Top Bottom