#18 On the Clock... Here’s the Board | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#18 On the Clock... Here’s the Board

Picking Vernon Carey over Wilfork was the Dolphins handing the keys to the AFCE to Belichick.

A colossal mistake. "But we need a right tackle more than we need a DT.....(whining)".

But... future Pro Bowl prospect Barmore will be gone by #18, so....

I trade down to #22... "Hello, Titans?"

Take BPA from there based on whom we picked at #6.

I take a long look at Collins, another freak, or maybe Harris or E. Moore.

RW
Don’t remind me of wilfork, dolphins brass at the time a bunch of dumb you know what. Barmore is a top player in this draft and you don’t hear anything about him. He would be a great pick at 18.

Picking Vernon Carey over Wilfork was the Dolphins handing the keys to the AFCE to Belichick.

A colossal mistake. "But we need a right tackle more than we need a DT.....(whining)".

But... future Pro Bowl prospect Barmore will be gone by #18, so....

I trade down to #22... "Hello, Titans?"

Take BPA from there based on whom we picked at #6.

I take a long look at Collins, another freak, or maybe Harris or E. Moore.

RW
There were a few times when I thought a player fell right into Miami's lap, only for the team to take someone else.

Carey over Wilfork was one of those. It's not that Carey was bad. Overall, he was solid. But he certainly wasn't the player Wilfork was.

There was the most obvious one with Fletcher over Brees. Wanny should never have had the final say on the draft.

Davis over Matthews.

Harris over T.J. Watt.

Sigh.

What do you have at #6?
When you draft as early as 6, I think you want to shoot for the moon. Is there a player who looks like he'll be not just good, but great... dominant... one of a kind.

...and as I've said several times, I don't think these WRs look that good.

However... Lawrence (who will be gone), Pitts, Sewell, and Parsons do look that good to me, so I'd take one of them. To me, this would be my version of BPA. I just see the WRs as drafting for need, rather than drafting for greatness.

My perfect mock... would probably be 1a) Sewell 1b) Paye or Rousseau 2a) Ossai 2b) Best remaining slot receiver, or alternately 1a) Pitts 1b) Paye or Rousseau 2a) best remaining Tackle 2b) Center or Stand up Edge.

I know the narrative here is that Tua struggled because of his receivers... and there is some truth to that, but Fuller and Wilson may cure that, but I'm more worried about our 26th rated Offensive Line.

When you draft as early as 6, I think you want to shoot for the moon. Is there a player who looks like he'll be not just good, but great... dominant... one of a kind.

...and as I've said several times, I don't think these WRs look that good.

However... Lawrence (who will be gone), Pitts, Sewell, and Parsons do look that good to me, so I'd take one of them. To me, this would be my version of BPA. I just see the WRs as drafting for need, rather than drafting for greatness.

My perfect mock... would probably be 1a) Sewell 1b) Paye or Rousseau 2a) Ossai 2b) Best remaining slot receiver, or alternately 1a) Pitts 1b) Paye or Rousseau 2a) best remaining Tackle 2b) Center or Stand up Edge.

I know the narrative here is that Tua struggled because of his receivers... and there is some truth to that, but Fuller and Wilson may cure that, but I'm more worried about our 26th rated Offensive Line.
Do you buy into Miami jumping ahead of Detroit for Parsons?

Your thinking makes sense. I do like the receiver group, maybe more than you do. But I also think Sewell and Parsons could end up being the best players down the road. Pitts if used correctly.

It's about team building so if the Dolphins take Parsons at #6, I want to see what else they do. I know Elijah Moore at #18 is a little early, but I'd trade down if possible and nab him. A receiver group of Parker, Fuller, Moore and Gesicki looks nice on paper. A center like Humphrey at #36 and that's a pretty good start to the draft.

Do you buy into Miami jumping ahead of Detroit for Parsons?

Your thinking makes sense. I do like the receiver group, maybe more than you do. But I also think Sewell and Parsons could end up being the best players down the road. Pitts if used correctly.

It's about team building so if the Dolphins take Parsons at #6, I want to see what else they do. I know Elijah Moore at #18 is a little early, but I'd trade down if possible and nab him. A receiver group of Parker, Fuller, Moore and Gesicki looks nice on paper. A center like Humphrey at #36 and that's a pretty good start to the draft.
I'm still assuming that we traded back up to #6 to take a Receiver. That is the conventional wisdom and I agree with it, even though I would NOT have made this move. I would have stayed @12 and only traded up if it looked like I was going to miss out on Parsons, Pitts AND Sewell. I would have kept the extra #1 and rolled the dice, just like I counseled that we should do with Tua last year when so many wanted us to trade up to make sure that we got him.

I still think there is an outside chance that Parsons falls down to 12 and that would have been my play. If I would have missed out on all three, then I would have moved on to Chase, Waddle, or Paye. As you can see, I have players ranked in tiers and I am comfortable taking players from different positions in different spots.

Many fans here say, we have to take a receiver first... we neeeeed it. I completely reject that sort of thinking. This approach causes teams to reach, and to overpay. Yes, we need a receiver, but there are different kinds of receivers available and this is a very deep group. If my top remaining tier has only defensive players and O-Linemen in it, then I'm going to take one of those and come back to receiver later. Heck, we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds... it isn't like the draft is gonna run out of talented guys.

Oh... and I think Detroit will go WR.

I'm still assuming that we traded back up to #6 to take a Receiver. That is the conventional wisdom and I agree with it, even though I would NOT have made this move. I would have stayed @12 and only traded up if it looked like I was going to miss out on Parsons, Pitts AND Sewell. I would have kept the extra #1 and rolled the dice, just like I counseled that we should do with Tua last year when so many wanted us to trade up to make sure that we got him.

I still think there is an outside chance that Parsons falls down to 12 and that would have been my play. If I would have missed out on all three, then I would have moved on to Chase, Waddle, or Paye. As you can see, I have players ranked in tiers and I am comfortable taking players from different positions in different spots.

Many fans here say, we have to take a receiver first... we neeeeed it. I completely reject that sort of thinking. This approach causes teams to reach, and to overpay. Yes, we need a receiver, but there are different kinds of receivers available and this is a very deep group. If my top remaining tier has only defensive players and O-Linemen in it, then I'm going to take one of those and come back to receiver later. Heck, we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds... it isn't like the draft is gonna run out of talented guys.

I think we will go WR because Pitts will be gone and WR will be BPA + need checked.
Chase or Smith. Coin flip for me.
The national championship game was about as dominant WR play I’ve seen.

I wouldn't put him in that class either, but his play down the stretch was close. Can Barmore do that consistently? It does feel like he is just scratching the surface.
Read somewhere he may have been recovering from a knee injury early part of this past season. Not sure if that’s the case, it’s a motivation/ motor issue or maybe something clicked because he seemed to beast end of the year.

Well, it's obvious that Grier was only going to make the SF trade if he could get back to six, or in that range.

Whoever the team is targeting, Grier didn't think that player or players could get much beyond pick #6.

I assume it is for a receiver, but you raise a great point about the perceived elite players in the draft. Those are generally considered to be Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons and Pitts.

Lawrence is going to the Jags. Could Miami's target be one of the other elite players? Couple of things to consider. Flores comes from that NE tree and, generally speaking, Bellichick rarely drafts a receiver highly. Also, I think there's a good chance one of Chase, Smith or Waddle could make it to #12.

Of course, the Dolphins believe one of those receivers could be elite.

Well, it's obvious that Grier was only going to make the SF trade if he could get back to six, or in that range.

Whoever the team is targeting, Grier didn't think that player or players could get much beyond pick #6.

I assume it is for a receiver, but you raise a great point about the perceived elite players in the draft. Those are generally considered to be Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons and Pitts.

Lawrence is going to the Jags. Could Miami's target be one of the other elite players? Couple of things to consider. Flores comes from that NE tree and, generally speaking, Bellichick rarely drafts a receiver highly. Also, I think there's a good chance one of Chase, Smith or Waddle could make it to #12.

Of course, the Dolphins believe one of those receivers could be elite.
I agree that this is why he made the deal in the manner that they made it... and when I start to think about which players he refused to lose... I'm left with the draft unicorns or the receivers...

That said, I would have been perfectly happy with JUST going to 12 and staying there. Indeed, I would have MUCH preferred to do that.

I agree that this is why he made the deal in the manner that they made it... and when I start to think about which players he refused to lose... I'm left with the draft unicorns or the receivers...

That said, I would have been perfectly happy with JUST going to 12 and staying there. Indeed, I would have MUCH preferred to do that.
I agree on all of that. If Miami takes Smith or Chase at #6 and Waddle is there at #12, is that really a win?

Back
Top Bottom