1972: Men with a league full of boys. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1972: Men with a league full of boys.

Absolutely true…it was no mystery why the Dolphins made it back to Super Bowl 17 after 9 years of falling short?

The return of Armsparger and his “Killer Bees” defense!

If Marino would have arrived a year earlier…I think we beat the Redskins.

Woodley was pathetic in that game, and we still were neck and neck near the end of the 3rd quarter….
And also not a shocker that a Stan Humphries led Charger team made the SB in ‘94 w Arnsparger as their DC. I admit that I was surprised to learn he was their DC as I had lost track of what he was doing after he left us in ‘83. When I saw him w SD he seemed too old to be coaching but there he was helping an upstart underdog team make it to the big game. Again.

Absolutely true…it was no mystery why the Dolphins made it back to Super Bowl 17 after 9 years of falling short?

The return of Armsparger and his “Killer Bees” defense!

If Marino would have arrived a year earlier…I think we beat the Redskins.

Woodley was pathetic in that game, and we still were neck and neck near the end of the 3rd quarter….
If Strock, much less Marino, had played that game instead of Woodley I think they probably would've won. And if Bokamper brings in that interception at the goal line they would have probably won also.

One of Shula's greatest attributes as a person was one of his weaknesses as a coach. He was too loyal to bad assistants.

He kept Olivadotti around for year after year during Marino's prime. He was a God-awful defensive coordinator. The second Arnsparger became available again he should have been back in Miami instead of coaching in San Diego.

One of Shula's greatest attributes as a person was one of his weaknesses as a coach. He was too loyal to bad assistants.

He kept Olivadotti around for year after year during Marino's prime. He was a God-awful defensive coordinator. The second Arnsparger became available again he should have been back in Miami instead of coaching in San Diego.
Exactly. That reliance on coaches that weren't delivering, perhaps more than anything else, kept Shula from winning another championship.

Shula was such a hero to me. I became a fan the day he was hired and admired the hell out of him. Got to meet him in Miami Lakes where he lived and again at his Steak House. The thrill of my life.

Was sad when he lost coaches but Arnsparger to the Giants hurt the most.
Both times…….

Back
Top Bottom