1972 NFL Films: Chargers-Dolphins (Griese injury) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1972 NFL Films: Chargers-Dolphins (Griese injury)

I remember after he broke his leg, I wrote him a letter and he returned a signed picture to me.
We used to get Football Digest and it had all the addresses.
I was give or take 7 or 8.

I was at the game. The air got sucked out of the Orange Bowl.

I remember hearing Csonka or Fernandez talk about the injury years later on some television show. The feeling was that the season was over with an over-the-hill Earl Morrall taking the reigns. Apparently, Morrall did not look good in training camp so there was real concern there.

Of course, Morrall had been an NFL MVP in the past and proved to be one of the best backups in NFL history.

I was there in the East end zone and yes, it was as if there was no more life in the season. Virtually no one thought Morrall could do anything. That game was a numbing kind of Pyrrhic victory that seemed meaningless.

I can still remember on the drive home, listening to the callers on the postgame show and the absolute hopelessness of everyone about the prospects for that season going forward.

It took about 2 or 3 more games for the idea of Morrall as QB to set in and to feel like he could actually carry the club. It did NOT look like Griese could come back at all and if he hadn't, I am afraid we don't survive Pittsburgh, much less win in LA.

But it all worked out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom