1973 AFC Championship Game - Full Broadcast! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1973 AFC Championship Game - Full Broadcast!

It's nice to watch this win over the Raiders. I've watched the Sea of Hands game plenty!

now, does anybody have the 1972 championship, or the 71 on video. its a shame we have to dig into ancient history to see our team winning in a big way

Here's the first half of the previous week's (Round-1) game against the Bengals, the guy who posted it says he doesn't think the second half exists on video...

[video=youtube;BMucj-NUGHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMucj-NUGHs[/video]

I'm sure the NFL has a copy of the whole game.

And I'm OK with that. I don't have time to sit there and watch a game that feels like its 4 hours long because of huddling, running the ball and playing that god-awful time of possession strategy. In fact, not only do I get to watch more plays per game but I also get to watch more football as a whole with the advent of RedZone. The 70's can keep their football. I'll keep my eras game and stay entertained.

you can have your era....id like to see us win ...thats entertaining

I read somewhere that many of the Fins glory years 70-74 tapes went missing. They rarely show those games.

Watched this game earlier and just read Marv Hubbard died today. He was a solid running back for the Raiders in the early 70's. RIP Marv.

Whoah, I forgot the Raiders were once relevant.

I noticed the first half of the Bengals playoff game a week earlier is also on YouTube. The uploader says as far as he knows the second half tape of that game doesn't exist.

The old NBC theme music was awesome.

I have no idea how these guys get away with posting old NFL material to YouTube. The NFL launched so many copyright complaints against my channel that YouTube eventually shut it down. The stuff I had was comparatively trivial compared to old playoff games.

Regardless, it's great that these videos are out there. I'm not sure I ever saw these telecasts, since I attended all the home games. There was no such thing as broadcasting games live in the home market, regardless of sell out. I seem to remember delayed broadcasts beginning at midnight the following morning, but I don't remember the time frame. That might not have started yet in 1973.

Obviously there will be disagreement regarding changing trends in the sport. In my lifespan everything has been pushed toward finesse. The 3 point line in basketball was designed to reward finesse as opposed to a power inside game. Same with virtually every rule change in football. Tennis when I was a kid featured net rushers, one guy pushing forward and asserting himself at the net. Now it's all monotonous baseline rallies with the players dozens of yards apart.

I'm happy with my era. For one thing, the bottom line doesn't seem as important these days. When it was a physical sport it meant something to impose your superiority. Now its mostly trickery from afar. So while I hope the Dolphins win another title or several, the significance is not a fraction of what it was.

Phil Villapiano will hit a defenseless WR but whenever Zonk ran the ball he was never in the picture, what a :cat:. what a POS that dude has always been

This thread surfaces right at the same time Marv Hubbard passes. He was the closest thing to Csonka anybody else had going.

I can recall that the replay of the '71 AFC title game was shown in Miami at 12:01AM that night on Channel 7, the old NBC affiliate WCKT before it switched in the '90's... the earliest the NFL would permit it to be shown with the blackout rules. I was 11. I wasn't allowed to stay up. School next day.

I believe NBC's master copy of both the Longest Game (KC) and the '71 AFC Championship game against the Colts were destroyed by a fire at an NBC facility sometime in the early '70s. They have never been "officially" shown on ESPN at all... but I am sure there are copies out there somewhere. I especially want the AFC title game, I have NEVER watched that game. I now (as of yesterday LOL) have the NBC Radio audio w/ Charlie Jones and George Ratterman. Would love Rick Weaver's radio call... I have heard it is still available in places.

Believe it or not, there are no surviving copies of either of Super Bowl I and II. SB I was televised by BOTH NBC and CBS... and both TAPED OVER their coverage. II (NBC) met a similar fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible to believe that's 42 years ago! Makes me so sad what the NFL has become... The days when great OL play was like ART!

Czonka + Little and Langer with some Kooch = something to watch. And Merc outside. Unreal. And the Miami coaching staff!!! It was just too good!

This thread surfaces right at the same time Marv Hubbard passes. He was the closest thing to Csonka anybody else had going.

I can recall that the replay of the '71 AFC title game was shown in Miami at 12:01AM that night on Channel 7, the old NBC affiliate WCKT before it switched in the '90's... the earliest the NFL would permit it to be shown with the blackout rules. I was 11. I wasn't allowed to stay up. School next day.

I believe NBC's master copy of both the Longest Game (KC) and the '71 AFC Championship game against the Colts were destroyed by a fire at an NBC facility sometime in the early '70s. They have never been "officially" shown on ESPN at all... but I am sure there are copies out there somewhere. I especially want the AFC title game, I have NEVER watched that game. I now (as of yesterday LOL) have the NBC Radio audio w/ Charlie Jones and George Ratterman. Would love Rick Weaver's radio call... I have heard it is still available in places.

Believe it or not, there are no surviving copies of either of Super Bowl I and II. SB I was televised by BOTH NBC and CBS... and both TAPED OVER their coverage. II (NBC) met a similar fate.

i'm with you, I never saw the 71 game on tv but will never forget Rick Weaver painting the picture of Dick Anderson weaving through traffic to score, and Grieise scramble and throw to Warfield for the touchdown beating Rick Volt. I would love to find the game somewhere. Also would love to see the 72 championship game vs the Steelers

Wow, I was 13 and three years a dolphin fan already when this was originally broadcast. I was amazed how I knew everyone's name before Kirk Goudy even mention them. The commercials were the best. Boy I never realized how bad they were back then.

The old NBC theme music was awesome.

Regardless, it's great that these videos are out there. I'm not sure I ever saw these telecasts, since I attended all the home games. There was no such thing as broadcasting games live in the home market, regardless of sell out. I seem to remember delayed broadcasts beginning at midnight the following morning, but I don't remember the time frame. That might not have started yet in 1973.

Obviously there will be disagreement regarding changing trends in the sport. In my lifespan everything has been pushed toward finesse. The 3 point line in basketball was designed to reward finesse as opposed to a power inside game. Same with virtually every rule change in football. Tennis when I was a kid featured net rushers, one guy pushing forward and asserting himself at the net. Now it's all monotonous baseline rallies with the players dozens of yards apart.

I'm happy with my era. For one thing, the bottom line doesn't seem as important these days. When it was a physical sport it meant something to impose your superiority. Now its mostly trickery from afar. So while I hope the Dolphins win another title or several, the significance is not a fraction of what it was.

I too was impressed by the music to start off the game. I had totally forgot that NBC theme. Viewing that game refreshed the brain paths that I have destroyed over the years. It may be that the Dolphins were relevant at the time and that is why the music sticks in the back of my brain after all these years. But the Sax was jamming and the highlights seemed to go well. And of course they finish with a dolphin player banging his helmet. Whats not to like?

I never attended any NFL games until the 80's so I can't remember what the blackout rules were when we were on top of the world. I lived out of state so After the undefeated season they were a popular team to feature on the national broadcasts and I got to see a couple games per season and every playoff game.

I have to agree with you on the change of play. How anyone couldn't see the beauty in this championship game is beyond me. man on man, battle for every 10 yards. That is what football was meant to be IMO. To me there is just as much excitement in each first down as there is today's game in each score. I understand the excitement of never being out of a game with the new rules. But it also make me think why should I even watch current product until the 4th quarter when it is actually decided? no team is ever out with current rules.

The line play is so inferior in this era. The linemen appear to be overweight and most don't even look athletes. The Wide receiver screen has become a wimpy ( I can't dominate you) play that teams use to cover their poor line play and contributes to the lost art of dominating your opponent on the line. let's trick them instead. An extension of the running game they call it. I call it poor wimpy offensive line play. Take it to them an wear them down up the middle. Just make sure you score TD's at the end of those time consuming drives like the Dolphins of the 70's did and nothing can go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom