1973 Dolphins Dissed, Ranked 28th Overall | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1973 Dolphins Dissed, Ranked 28th Overall

The 2007 pats team is one of the strongest teams I’ve seen in my lifetime (30 years). The best team doesn’t always win the super bowl in the nfl. This isn’t an NBA 7 game series where the best team always comes out on top. Losing that game doesn’t make them any less good, it’s just a slight knock on their resume. They likely are number one had they won that game. Don’t be a homer.
Great team, no question. But I thought the 1984 Miami Dolphins were better than a lot of super bowl champions, but they also lost in the super bowl to a 49ers team that was 15-1. For that matter, I think the 1984 Dolphins beats the NY Giants team the 2007 Patriots lost to. Of course, those kind of debates are only speculation. But I do think Miami wins against a lot of teams in that time frame.

From my perspective, I think you start with the 50 super bowl winners then go from there. The 2007 Patriots at #51 with that 1984 Dolphins at #52. Just my opinion though. You thoughts are valid as well!

Do agree the 73 team was better than the 72 with Griese playing QB all season and the blow out results in the playoffs. Unfortunately perfection can't be topped especially when it's happened only once in a hundred years.
Certainly make the argument that if they rank the 2007 Pats 7th then shouldn't the 73 team who did lose one more game but more importantly won the SB and easily should be ranked higher.

The other Fin team I have always wondered about was the 85 squad. They finished 12-4 a very respectable record after winning their last 7 in a row and most importantly beat the Bears for their only loss. Sadly they totally bombed in the AFC Championship to a team who hadn't beaten them at home since 66, 14-31 to the Pats who got clobbered in the SB 46-10. If they had won and made the SB and again beat a very good Bears team especially on defence, it would give the Fins 3 candidates for the top 10.

im 46 but still watch reruns of the fins teams from the early 70s. It isn’t an age thing but rather enjoyment of watching perfection (or as close as it can get)

The other Fin team I have always wondered about was the 85 squad. They finished 12-4 a very respectable record after winning their last 7 in a row and most importantly beat the Bears for their only loss. Sadly they totally bombed in the AFC Championship to a team who hadn't beaten them at home since 66, 14-31 to the Pats who got clobbered in the SB 46-10. If they had won and made the SB and again beat a very good Bears team especially on defence, it would give the Fins 3 candidates for the top 10.
we had chance that yr to won SB.

One of the more disappointing losses in Miami's history. Up until that point, I don't think the Dolphins had ever lost an AFC Championship game. But Miami played so sloppy in that one, turning the ball over six times (if memory serves). It's always hard to beat a team three times in a season and that was probably a factor as well.

I don't know if the Dolphins would have beaten Chicago in a rematch of that great Monday night win. McMahon was back etc. But, the Bears would have to find a way to adjust to how quickly Marino got rid of the ball. In the Monday night game, Miami showed that Bears weakness in the secondary. It was the only team that I think had the chance to beat Chicago in the super bowl that year.

The 2007 pats team is one of the strongest teams I’ve seen in my lifetime (30 years). The best team doesn’t always win the super bowl in the nfl. This isn’t an NBA 7 game series where the best team always comes out on top. Losing that game doesn’t make them any less good, it’s just a slight knock on their resume. They likely are number one had they won that game. Don’t be a homer.
It’s not a slight knock. It was as bad or worse than the knock Shula got for losing the SB to the Jets. No way they should lose that game. Add to it that the Giants beat them the same way 3 times in a row from they SB to regular season to the 2011 SB and showed it was no fluke. Had it been a 7 game series, Giants may have won it. They showed they could beat NE w a superior front 4 for which NE had no answer - 3 times in a row during that era.

Back
Top Bottom