1999 all over again? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1999 all over again?

DolFan31

aka FinSane
Reaction score
Remember the 1999 season when the Dolphins started 7-1 then lost Marino and went 2-6 the rest of the way? hmm...:cry:

oh no. Ray Lucas is better than Damon Huard. As long as our Defense plays good and our WRs are healthy we will be fine. Health is key here.

If I remember correctly, during that stretch with Damon Huard we only lost 1 game. Its when Marino came back that we couldn't buy a win. Partly/mostly because he came back from injury too fast (5 interceptions against the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day)

Also, our key player is not injured (knock on wood), and that would be Ricky Williams. Don't worry too much about the injury problems at this point as the bye week is coming up and everyone should be healthy and happy by then!

you guys are overly optimistic. enjoy a good season but with these losses and changes at QB this is not the same team...

the injury bug strikes again........... a gadsden loss is HUGE!!!!!

Originally posted by DolFan31
Remember the 1999 season when the Dolphins started 7-1 then lost Marino and went 2-6 the rest of the way? hmm...:cry:

no way I dont think we had this good a defense in 99'!

Originally posted by DolFan31

Biggest difference between now and then.....

Marino was our whole offense.
The QB is not our whole offense this time around......

Two words....

Ricky Williams.

As long as the QB is sound we have a good chance at winning with him.

Lucas has shown he can be good enough and possibly even better than that.

LETS ALL WAIT TILL SUNDAY. Then we can see the difference in the team.

Or how about 1993 when we started 9-2 and ended up 9-7.
I know Marino was lost for the year that season with a torn ACL. I don't remember what week of the season that was. I think Steve Deberg and Scott Mitchell where the replacements, plus we had Keith Byars as our running back. He only ended up with a little over 600 yards that season.

Guys, Guys, Guys these are 2 totally different teams. RW compared to the Cecil Collins and JJ Johnson one two punch. Come on one of them is in the slammer the other one out of football. McDuffie and Gadsden were solid but Yatil Green was the 3rd receiver and I don't even remember who the forth receiver was. Who was our TE Troy Drayton and I'm positive our OL and D are better now. Besides as someone stated in an above post in 99 Damon Huard went 5-1 or something like that with very little ofensive talent around him. When Dan returned, I agree too early, JJ changed the game plan and basically went against his philosophy and we became an all passing team. That's when we sucked and there were two losses to a very green Ray Lucas in that stretch. I can't believe anyone would mention the 93 team which I personally thought consisted of the best opening day roster the Dolphins had fielded maybe until this season. That was more than just losing Marino. I think we only had one original starter in the secondary, backup Scott Mitchell got hurt forcing us to go with 40 something year old Steve DeBerg and of course John Offerdahl was also hurt. That team got absolutely decimated by injuries. I think even Scott Mitchell could have taken that team deep into the playoffs if it wasn't for all of the other injuries. **** I was at the game in Foxboro in which Miami was elinimated from the playoffs. Michael Timson beat Darrell Malone (WHO get the point) for the winning TD from Drew Bledsoe of course.

Holly over reaction batman! Lets look at things in perspective. We have won 5 games because we played great defense and we controlled the game with our running game. Our defense is playing as good as anyones right now, and our RB and o-line is still healthy. Jay, Chambers, and Gadsen weren't stopping every team we have played thus far from stacking the line of scrimmage so not much has changed there. We have to play 1 week with out our top WR, but we are also playing what is possibly the worst defense in the NFL. Ray is in for Jay, but how much does this really change the team? I honestly think the more talented QB is in the game now. Besides that Norv has proven every where he has been if you can the run the ball in his offense he can make Brad Johnson look like a HOF QB. I love OG so i hate to see him go down, but we only lost 16 receptions in 6 games. Mcknight and Ward can easily pick up the slack. We are banged up for 1 week then we have 15 days to get healthy we will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom