1st Mock - go easy on me | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Mock - go easy on me

SCall13 said:
Good mock, except D. Johnson's stock is RISING not falling. He has had awesome workouts and has really helped his cause.

It's funny, actually. DJ rose for a few days after his workout, then dropped when teams around the league started questioning his ability to take on blocks.

I'll say the same thing I said in October: I wouldn't touch Derrick Johnson until the end of Round 1. Don't get me wrong.. he's a great football player... but it's hard to maintain a Top 5 rating when your 230 pounds (and don't tell me he's a legit 245 pound thumper) and play Weakside Linebacker.

My philosophy on drafting Linebackers: You'd better be either Brian Urlacher or LaVar Arrington to warrant a Top 10 pick... a FREAK with a 6-4, 250 pound frame and the ability to line up at multiple positions. Linebackers like Derrick Johnson are ONLY effective if they are protected. From that logistical standpoint, why not just draft a DE in the first round and put an oversized Strong Safety at Linebacker?

Hostile7 said:
What's changed since the combine? He's still never played the position he will at the NFL. He'll be there in the 3rd, bank on it.

You would be taken for all you are worth. There are GM's out there, agree with them or not, that would take a guy just because he is 6'6'' 245lbs and runs under 4.4 in the 40. Look at Hines Ward or Randle 'El in Pittsburgh. Does Pittsburgh need a TE, One that can catch?

Hostile7 said:
What are you talking about? He'll be there in the mid third. Physically he's amazing, but no matter what position he plays he'll be very raw not having played the position he will (whether it‘s TE or WR).. He's the definition of boom or bust and no team is going to gamble a 1st on him.
nope... he is gone by the second... someone may take a flyer on him in the first....

If the Bills can gamble a first on McGahee, then some team will take a flyer on Jones.

I think Mike Williams is gna be very hard to cover in the pros... Matt Jones may very well be impossible.

SCall13 said:
Good mock, except D. Johnson's stock is RISING not falling. He has had awesome workouts and has really helped his cause.
He is falling like a rock... now expected to go between 10-15.

People are aware of his athleticism, they are also aware that he seizes up when it comes to blocks.

change the mock to jones in the second round and any good runningback that's left in the third and it'd be perfect

Hostile7 said:
What's changed since the combine? He's still never played the position he will at the NFL. He'll be there in the 3rd, bank on it.

No friggin way. The guys phenomenal athletically. Too good to fall that far.

finsnchips said:
If the Bills can gamble a first on McGahee, then some team will take a flyer on Jones.

Um, yeah but McGahee is a RB and was porjected as RB in the NFL. Matt Jones is completely different.

Damn Means its UDFA material real nice UDFA but still wont crack the draft, Ilke AJ Lindsay better.

Razza said:
Assuming Surtain restructures and Ricky comes back....

1 Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas (stock falling, trade down for 2nd round pick and hope he's still around)

2 J.J. Arrington, HB, California (insurance for ganja-man)

3 Matt Jones, WR/TE, Arkansas (Shockey potential)

4 Anthony Means, DT, Alabama (The next T-Bo)

5 Chris Mackenzie, CB, Washington (Speed and instincts)

7 Jerome Carter, S, Florida State (Boo-yah run-support)

Would like a playmaker at safety so substitute Josh Bullocks at Round 2/3 depending on what happens at HB

Not too bad though we already have a TE better than Shockey on our roster.

TeeMoney said:
Matt Jones may not last past the first round

:confused: I agree that Jones' stock is rising but you really think he has a good chance of going in the first round?? I think first day LATE 2nd ROUND at the earliest. But my guess is 3rd-4th round.

I've seen a few mocks that have him going in the first.

Someone like Martz will gamble on Jone's talent and he wont get past the 2nd round. He is arguably the best athlete in the entire draft. If a coach cant find a way to use this guy he should be fired. If youre team with a late 1st early 2nd or one of the teams with a ton of 1st day picks, why not take a chance? His upside is out of this world and thats what drafting is all about, production and upside.

If we added a 2nd I would love to see Jones in a Fins uniform. The problems he could cause would be amazing! Think about this..... We come out in a 2 WR single back set, with Randy and Jones on the line. Once the defense sets Randy and Jones both stand up and split out wide. We just went from a running formation to an awesome passing formation. Now imagine teams worried so much about the WR's that they forget about the RB. Draws and tosses out of this type of formation could be huge!
I am beginning to hope we stay away from Johnson, just my gut after reading all I have read and watching him. In the 15-20 range Id love him, but top 5...No thanks

Back
Top Bottom