1st round mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st round mock

PhinPhan910

Active Roster
Reaction score
I wanted to throw a little changeup here. You may be surprised. And please don't say its terrible, because i don't want to just post the same mock that basically everyone has.

1. STL: Gerald Mccoy
2. Det: Russel Okung
3. TB: Ndamukong Suh
4. Redskins: C.J. Spiller
5. Chiefs: Rolando Mcclain
6. Seahawks: Jimmy Clausen
7.Browns: Sam Bradford
8. Raiders: Carlos Dunlap
9. Bills: Bruce Campbell
10. Jaguars: Derrick Morgan
11. Broncos: Eric Berry
12. Dolphins: Dez Bryant
13. 49ers: Anthony Davis
14.Seahawks: Bryan Bulaga
15.Giants: Earl Thomas
16. Titans: Brandon Graham
17. 49ers: Dan Williams
18. Steelers: Jared Odrick
19. Falcons: Joe Haden
20. Texans: Taylor Mays
21. Bengals: Jason Pierre-Paul
22. Patriots: Kyle Wilson
23. Packers: Trent Williams
24. Eagles: Sean Weatherspoon
25. Ravens: Arellious Benn
26. Cards: Jermaine Gresham
27. Cowboys: Brandon LaFell
28. Chargers: Jahvid Best
29. Jets: Damian Williams
30. Vikings: Brian Price
31. Colts: Terrance Cody
32. Saints: Sergio Kindle

Boy =, Letting Berry get to 11 only to have the Broncos take him would be a kick in the pants, But Dez sure would help make me feel better-This would be great for us all in all.

Why would the Colts draft Terrance Cody? He doesn't fit their 4-3 scheme, he is a 3-4 NT. He is not athletic enough to play in a 4-3. Other than that it's ok.

TedSlimmJr once asked me what I thought of Kareem Jackson. I'd watched him in the pas but because he was a junior and I didn't know if he would come out, I didn't really drill into him. What I always thought is that, not unlike Patrick Peterson of LSU who isn't even draft eligible, he has ideal physical prowess on the football field from speed to strength, size and physicality, but that he allows some catches you don't think he should.

What I didn't quite know until taking a half hour to drill hard into every snap of his for three games (the benefit of having snaps isolated into 5 to 7 second clips)...is that the reason he allows catches you don't think he should is simply because he's so good that he should never allow a single catch in man coverage.

The three games I watched were Auburn, Florida and Ole Miss. He allowed a total of three catches in those games. That's it. Three. And I could only fault him on one catch, the catch he allowed versus Auburn. He allowed a deep vertical because in his tight man coverage he was fooled by the double move, and when the QB switched from the right side of the field to the left and released the ball, Jackson was trailing a guy he shouldn't have been trailing...sort of lulled to sleep. The catch he allowed to Riley Cooper in the Florida game was a 5 yard comeback on 3rd & 7 where he was so tight and had Riley so squeezed that there was no way Tebow could have gotten the ball into Riley to get a first down. He had to come back 5 yards off the 10 yard depth he initially ran, to haul in the ball...and by then it wasn't a first down so who cares. The catch he allowed to Shay Hodge of Ole Miss was a medium slant, and he was on Hodge like white on rice and perfectly got his backside hand around to the front of Hodge as the ball came in, actually made contact with the ball, but Hodge pulled it in anyway to make a superb catch.

There are not many things not to like about Kareem. One weakness is he's not aggressive enough when he has to play off at the start of a play, which isn't often. Though, obviously he's not incapable, because his interception in the red zone against Ole Miss was off coverage on Shay Hodge, he read the route and the play and just jumped in front of the receiver.

Another criticism I would have is that he doesn't focus enough on using his arms to be physical in coverage. When he does it, he has tremendous success with it, he just doesn't give a great effort to do it often enough. This is something that I know pro coaches will get out of him though, so it doesn't bother me.

One last criticism would be his not getting his head up to look for the ball quite quick enough, but I just see that as a little thing that will tend to go away as he gets older and more experienced.

Interestingly enough, that weakness in playing off at the snap doesn't translate to a weakness in zone hand-offs, because he does extremely well with those.

He's got Vontae Davis quality physicality in tackling. Really makes solid and explosive contact. Even better, he seems to have a gift for avoiding blocks...even cut blocks.

I have not seen him challenged very deep yet by a very fast player. What he runs at the Combine will be important. But he certainly seems to possess elite movement skills, and the eyes to read a receiver's leverage and react instantly. I would have liked to see him challenged by Dexter McCluster more often than he was. I only recorded one matchup and Dexter of course got off the line and accelerated so fast he made the other receivers look like they were standing still, Kareem was playing far off him and got his body in the way of McCluster in order to butt bump him but with Dexter's fast pace he knocked Kareem to the ground. There was another interesting moment when Kareem jumped the pass in the red zone and took it back for what looked like it should have been a 95 yard TD, he was caught by Bolden and actually Jevan Snead was keeping up with him pretty well. But, both had pretty darn good head starts on Kareem's position...about 10 yards. Ted Ginn would have made those angles disappear, obviously. Hard to tell which other players would have also made the angles disappear.

He seems to be an active communicator pre-snap.

So, short answer, what do I think of Kareem Jackson? Not that I want to pull a Mayock here but I believe he could very well be the best pro cornerback in this draft, depending on how he tests and measures. How does it segue to this thread? I don't like that the mock draft above leaves him out of the first round. It could happen but it would be a shame.

Haden at 19? Top flight CB's are at a premium in this league and are usually pretty high picks.

Haden at 19? Top flight CB's are at a premium in this league and are usually pretty high picks.

I know, but I wanted to do an odd mock draft that you rarely see because most mock drafts are automatically like:

rams: suh
lions: mccoy
bucs: berry
skins: okung

etc.

Back
Top Bottom