2-3 Year Retool/Rebuild | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2-3 Year Retool/Rebuild

Don't assume that we spend all of the $95M we have on free agents this year. My hunch is that we only spend about half of it and we are well placed to pounce on any player we really like who becomes available. By taking a couple of steps back and surgically unloading a lot of players in 2019 for Draft picks, the Dolphins are the the prototype of team re-engineering.
If we can become competitive, watch others to replicate this pretty radical model.

With 3-4 free agents we could get close

Round 1 Pick 5: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (A)
Round 1 Pick 18: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (B)
Round 1 Pick 26: Tyler Biadasz, C/OG, Wisconsin (B)
Round 2 Pick 7: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 24: Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (B)
Round 3 Pick 6: Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 39 (COMP): Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky (B-)
Round 5 Pick 16: Ty Tyler, DE/OLB, Marshall (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6: Dalton Keene, TE, Virginia Tech (B+)
Round 6 Pick 18: Tanner Muse, SS/FS, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 31: Mohamed Barry, OLB, Nebraska (A+)
Round 7 Pick 36 (COMP): Isaiah Wright, WR, Temple (A)

Wow!!! If we had a draft like that, I would probably need to spend a week in the hospital to remove the smile from my face.

I would also probably be insufferable the whole off-season on how Miami is about to be the last to 1st team in 2020. Lol

Trey Flowers is getting $18M per year. I would think Yannick could get that on the open market. I don't really see the Dolphins in that market range. I think Armstead, Clowney and Barrett will be up there as well with Fowler being a tier down.

Not expecting super bowl or even playoffs next year, but this is definitely a crucial offseason.

I still think quarterback is the pick with that first #1, whether it's Tua or Herbert. Waiting only makes sense if you don't like either of those two choices. I don't think that will be the case.

I'd double down with Fromm if he makes it to the second round, or Hurts later in the draft. He could end up in the 4th.

I hope the expectations of the board isn't that Miami with 14 picks and $100m will be in the Super Bowl a year from now. First of all 14 picks are nice, but they aren't all in round 1 or 2. Second of all, the cupboards are bare. Safely, we need talent (not Pro Bowl talent) in about 45-47 of the 53 we currently have. That is expansion-team like. Next the infamous "$100M." Oh yes, that seems to be the relief of all our issues. Throw money! Free-agency when used right, is one player, maybe two to put you over the top. It isn't to be used when you need to get younger and more talented for long-term growth and need 40+ players. Oh and $100M, what does that get you today? 4 players? A fiscal responsible team could start signing some of their own in the near future also. Lastly, oh yes, QB. The great debate, Justin Herbert vs my Tua. Hell, both could be busts. May have to go back in the draft next year to draft again. So in conclusion, yes we need DE's, yes we need Olinemen and yes we need RB and QB. But don't expect them to be all this year. What's critical? Guessing here, having a defensive coach, I think offense is. We might be able to get by one more year based on strategy and coaching with Flores. I am not saying don't touch the defense, but for a team that has been frankly boring and behind the times on offense, that seems logical. Miami won 5 games this year miraculously. Cincy had more talent than us. MIami has always won with smoke and mirrors lately, dating back to all the 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 seasons and not having much talent. Hell Miami could take a step back and only win 4 games. And that would be ok, IF THEY PLAY BETTER. And guess what, they could play better, develop players in key positions and still lose more games. But the result could be an Identity on offense or defense., something that you don't have to address in 2021. The way this team is positioned with picks, maybe picking high next year (assuming they don't trade down for 2022) is a good thing, As it adds talent away from Free Agency. Moreover, if Hou could somehow lose games, we could get two high picks.

I know it has been 30 years, folks. But another 2 won't kill us. Hang in there, enjoy the ride
Was there a question you had for us or was this solely a lecture? Look up the term paragraph. Might want to use two OR even three next time. See you in the playoffs next year!

Trey Flowers is getting $18M per year. I would think Yannick could get that on the open market. I don't really see the Dolphins in that market range. I think Armstead, Clowney and Barrett will be up there as well with Fowler being a tier down.
Yannick turned down a 19 mil a year extension last off season. He will probably get the F Tag too.

Yannick turned down a 19 mil a year extension last off season. He will probably get the F Tag too.

No kidding? He's not worth that much, IMO. Only edge players surpassing 19M per year is Mack, Frank Clark & Demarcus Lawrence and Von Miller. He may be in for a rude awakening. (of course I say that all the time and these guys keep getting record contracts, LOL).

No kidding? He's not worth that much, IMO. Only edge players surpassing 19M per year is Mack, Frank Clark & Demarcus Lawrence and Von Miller. He may be in for a rude awakening. (of course I say that all the time and these guys keep getting record contracts, LOL).
I still can’t believe what the Giants gave Olivier Vernon 4 years ago! 5-year, $85 million contract that includes $52.5 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $20 million.

I've seen it done quicker....oh well it's only been 47 years since we won the biggie

Back
Top Bottom