2-3 Year Retool/Rebuild | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2-3 Year Retool/Rebuild

I actually expect a modest regression or nearly the same record again next season, regardless of this draft. The coaching turnover, new pics and all the other variables are a lot to overcome even with more talent. I expect a middle of the pack record year 3 and getting much more competitive in year 4.

I still can’t believe what the Giants gave Olivier Vernon 4 years ago! 5-year, $85 million contract that includes $52.5 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $20 million.

The guy played in 16, 12 11 & 10 games since he left and averaged 6.25 sacks per year.

Ridiculous on how overpaid he was. I remember hearing the Giants signing him, I was pissed. Once I found out the contract details, I fell out of my chair!
Right..

I was all for bringing him back but not at that kind of price. He's probably the best DE we've had and drafted in a loooooong time. I mean imagine having Vernon instead of charles harris the last few years? And even tho OV kind of has disappeared / been average, still would be better than anyone else weve brought it

I have felt all along that this is at least a 3 year rebuild and more likely a 4 year rebuild. I think it is funny how so many fans suddenly think Grier is going to become an expert in the draft after being merely mediocre when it comes to the draft since he became the GM in 2016.I think it will be at least 2022 before the Dolphins legitimately contend for a playoff spot and I doubt Grier will still be the GM by the time the Dolphins actually do make the playoffs again.

I hope the expectations of the board isn't that Miami with 14 picks and $100m will be in the Super Bowl a year from now. First of all 14 picks are nice, but they aren't all in round 1 or 2. Second of all, the cupboards are bare. Safely, we need talent (not Pro Bowl talent) in about 45-47 of the 53 we currently have. That is expansion-team like. Next the infamous "$100M." Oh yes, that seems to be the relief of all our issues. Throw money! Free-agency when used right, is one player, maybe two to put you over the top. It isn't to be used when you need to get younger and more talented for long-term growth and need 40+ players. Oh and $100M, what does that get you today? 4 players? A fiscal responsible team could start signing some of their own in the near future also. ,,, oh yes, QB. The great debate, Justin Herbert vs my Tua. Hell, both could be busts. May have to go back in the draft next year to draft again. So in conclusion, yes we need DE's, yes we need Olinemen and yes we need RB and QB. But don't expect them to be all this year. What's critical? Guessing here, having a defensive coach, I think offense is. We might be able to get by one more year based on strategy and coaching with Flores. I am not saying don't touch the defense, but for a team that has been frankly boring and behind the times on offense, that seems logical. Miami won 5 games this year miraculously. Cincy had more talent than us. MIami has always won with smoke and mirrors lately, dating back to all the 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 seasons and not having much talent. Hell Miami could take a step back and only win 4 games. And that would be ok, IF THEY PLAY BETTER. And guess what, they could play better, develop players in key positions and still lose more games. But the result could be an Identity on offense or defense., something that you don't have to address in 2021. The way this team is positioned with picks, maybe picking high next year (assuming they don't trade down for 2022) is a good thing, As it adds talent away from Free Agency. Moreover, if Hou could somehow lose games, we could get two high picks.

I know it has been 30 years, folks. But another 2 won't kill us. Hang in there, enjoy the ride

It is always easy tol say that the rebuild is going to take several years. I heard one coach a few years ago say that the rebuild would always take the length of his contract plus one year.

Saying that the rebuild is going to take years is absolving the current front office of any responsibility for the results next year. This is the modern NFL. Turn arounds have occured in the two year time frame. We're now on year two. If not now, exactly when should we hold the front office accountable for failing to achieve the goal of turning the team around?

It is always easy tol say that the rebuild is going to take several years. I heard one coach a few years ago say that the rebuild would always take the length of his contract plus one year.

Saying that the rebuild is going to take years is absolving the current front office of any responsibility for the results next year. This is the modern NFL. Turn arounds have occured in the two year time frame. We're now on year two. If not now, exactly when should we hold the front office accountable for failing to achieve the goal of turning the team around?
Personally I hold the front office 100% responsible for where the Dolphins are today and where the organization has been since Ross became the owner. He has hired incompetent individuals to run the team
ever since he has been in Miami.

He now has a GM who has been part of the problem for the past 20 years in charge of rebuilding this broken team. While I give credit to Flores for the few wins he was able to produce with the players on the team. I also remember how fans were so happy with Sparano and Gase after they both took the Dolphins to the playoffs in their first year with the Dolphins. It only took a couple of years more with each of these coaches before they were shown the door by Ross. So while I hope Flores is finally the quality coach we have been hoping for since Shula left, I think I will wait to see how the next few years turn out before buying into the Flores craze.

I hope Grier has learned from all his years of failure when it comes to finding top tier talent in the draft. Because if he hasn’t, he will waste all the draft resources he has the next two years and the Dolphins will be right back in the rebuild mode in a few years.

Arbitrary comments like it taking 2-3 years absolutely infuriate me. So, we're going to get 7 starters between FA and Draft (otherwise we messed up) and somehow we're going to not improve at all from last year? I find that impossible to believe.

Arbitrary comments like it taking 2-3 years absolutely infuriate me. So, we're going to get 7 starters between FA and Draft (otherwise we messed up) and somehow we're going to not improve at all from last year? I find that impossible to believe.
While I understand how it might infuriate you to have to wait 2-3 years before the Dolphins are a legitimate playoff team. I just don’t see the Dolphins winning more than 6 games next season. They will have either a rookie QB or a very mediocre Fitzpatrick at QB leading the offense and neither of those scenarios would appear to lead to the Dolphins winning many games next year. Especially when it appears they will be playing a much tougher schedule in 2020.

I would love to see the Dolphins vastly improve and go to the playoffs next season but 20 years of off season expectations have taught me that when it comes to the Dolphins, “I’ll believe it when I see it”.

Too many variables to place a time on rebuild. Injuries. There are always FAs who surprisingly disappoint or pleasantly surprise. No one knows who he/they will be. Some draft picks, shine instantly, take a few years, or become Jonathan Martin. No one knows who he/they will.

AND, what is a successful rebuild? Playoff appearance? Stop the 'x won the AFC championship in two years.' That's uncommon. IMO, a rebuild is confirmed by progress

With 3-4 free agents we could get close

Round 1 Pick 5: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (A)
Round 1 Pick 18: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (B)
Round 1 Pick 26: Tyler Biadasz, C/OG, Wisconsin (B)
Round 2 Pick 7: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 24: Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (B)
Round 3 Pick 6: Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 39 (COMP): Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky (B-)
Round 5 Pick 16: Ty Tyler, DE/OLB, Marshall (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6: Dalton Keene, TE, Virginia Tech (B+)
Round 6 Pick 18: Tanner Muse, SS/FS, Clemson (A+)
Round 7 Pick 31: Mohamed Barry, OLB, Nebraska (A+)
Round 7 Pick 36 (COMP): Isaiah Wright, WR, Temple (A)

Based on simple historical facts, half those picks will bust out. Others will be mediocre at best and you might find 1 high end starter.

And Herbert is just a wow. I just dont see the love yall give the man.

we could get close? In one year, needing all the talent we need? Do you realize the lack of talent this team has? I'd love to hear more
The patience concept is important! EVEN IF we draft well not everyone develops in one or two years. One example is Mike Gesicki. Many screamed bust even though we know most TEs take years to develop. We could draft good talent and it could take years to develop.

It was pointed out that the cupboard is care. We have to develop a large part of the team. This is going to take time even if we don't screw up the draft or a major portion of it.

Back
Top Bottom