‘2 Down Kiko Alonso’: A Canary In The Coal Mine | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘2 Down Kiko Alonso’: A Canary In The Coal Mine

Imagine if he didn't make that game winning play against the Chargers? Dude would have a small protest in front of his house, wouldn't be able to go out in public, would be calling Dallas Thomas asking for coping skills etc....

Fact is he did make that play, and had an OK year overall in '16. Looked bad in '17 but then again didn't our entire defense look bad most games?? LB was by far our weakest position last year as well, not like he had much help around him.

I say he deserves another year to prove he belongs in this league as a starter....If he fails and moves to his 4th team in 5 years his career could go downhill quickly...I like his attitude and work ethic on the field so personally I'm rooting for him to excel.

Mychal Kendricks just signed with Cleveland for 3 mil on a 1-year contract and he looks like a better 2 down linebacker than Kiko does.....Kiko also was a better middle linebacker than he was a weakside linebacker even if he dropped too deep in the zone and left the underneath wide open, just to slow and has average to poor coverage skills to play the weak side. Tannenbaum really missed the evaluation on both Kiko and Branch - paid them like they were top of the line players and they're not, they are middle of the pack players.

Just as important is where the tackle is made to how many tackles are made, Kiko makes a lot of tackle down the field after the player has done serious damage.....better than no one making the tackle - I suppose. Philbin screwed us, Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett, were the last decent linebackers we had around here and he sweeps them out the door like trash.
This area needs a lot of attention in upcoming drafts - LB and DT
Would have been a wise investment to pickup Kendricks for 3.25 mil and sat him on the bench to waited to see who failed, even if we're going with a lot more 2 linebacker looks on 2nd and 3rd down.

Kevin Coyle had a much better bend but don't break defense than either Vance Joesph or Matt Burke did and I didn't think much of Kevin Coyle and think Matt Burke is just plain awful. Don't understand why Gase didn't or doesn't lean heavily on a strong veteran defensive coordinator.

The problem with the Kiko discussion is he is treated like he is as bad as Phillip Wheeler was... he's hardly been great, and in 2016 while struggling at times, made some real impact plays consistently throughout the season that directly affected our playoff run - his 2016 performance was an overall good one.

Kiko was good overall in 2016 and below average in 2017... I expect him to have a another above average to good year in 2018 with a much better support cast in the back 7.

Imagine if he didn't make that game winning play against the Chargers? Dude would have a small protest in front of his house, wouldn't be able to go out in public, would be calling Dallas Thomas asking for coping skills etc....

Fact is he did make that play, and had an OK year overall in '16. Looked bad in '17 but then again didn't our entire defense look bad most games?? LB was by far our weakest position last year as well, not like he had much help around him.

I say he deserves another year to prove he belongs in this league as a starter....If he fails and moves to his 4th team in 5 years his career could go downhill quickly...I like his attitude and work ethic on the field so personally I'm rooting for him to excel.

This is a good post that I saw after I had posted mine. I completely agree with this sentiment.

Everyone see the Bob Menery video when Kiko knocked Flacco out? Awe it’s great, “looks like a F’ing Marine fighter pilot!”

I liked him as a MLB more too. I said back then that moving him would be bad for him. Although I think it was eventually gonna come as they upgraded, they should have moved him back after McMillan went down.

Kiko looked like a monster initially in BUF (per-injuries) ... he has been anything but here in MIA.

To say that he must be kept clean to make plays ... well - what good is that ??

He is NOT a system player .... he is purely ad lib (and slow at that - at both recognition and reaction) ... which in addition to his physical limitations - makes him even worse.

TBH, I was excited when we signed him ... but since the end of year 1 - can't wait til he is gone ...

Mychal Kendricks just signed with Cleveland for 3 mil on a 1-year contract and he looks like a better 2 down linebacker than Kiko does.....Kiko also was a better middle linebacker than he was a weakside linebacker even if he dropped too deep in the zone and left the underneath wide open, just to slow and has average to poor coverage skills to play the weak side. Tannenbaum really missed the evaluation on both Kiko and Branch - paid them like they were top of the line players and they're not, they are middle of the pack players.

Just as important is where the tackle is made to how many tackles are made, Kiko makes a lot of tackle down the field after the player has done serious damage.....better than no one making the tackle - I suppose. Philbin screwed us, Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett, were the last decent linebackers we had around here and he sweeps them out the door like trash.
This area needs a lot of attention in upcoming drafts - LB and DT
Would have been a wise investment to pickup Kendricks for 3.25 mil and sat him on the bench to waited to see who failed, even if we're going with a lot more 2 linebacker looks on 2nd and 3rd down.

Kevin Coyle had a much better bend but don't break defense than either Vance Joesph or Matt Burke did and I didn't think much of Kevin Coyle and think Matt Burke is just plain awful. Don't understand why Gase didn't or doesn't lean heavily on a strong veteran defensive coordinator.
Not sure how the Philbin days are relevant to our situation now. Even if we kept Dansby and Burnett they'd be so old and spent they wouldn't have been a factor for years.

Not sure how the Philbin days are relevant to our situation now. Even if we kept Dansby and Burnett they'd be so old and spent they wouldn't have been a factor for years.

I think a lot of people just have deep scars left by Philbin that will take a while longer to heal....

The moron set our team back years by getting rid of some our absolute best players for seemingly no reason, we're not talking about cutting 30 million dollar Suh or top receiver money Landry, we are talking getting rid of a young, cheap and ascending vontae davis, Karlos dansby who ended up having some AMAZING years after leaving, and more.

I think a lot of people just have deep scars left by Philbin that will take a while longer to heal....

The moron set our team back years by getting rid of some our absolute best players for seemingly no reason, we're not talking about cutting 30 million dollar Suh or top receiver money Landry, we are talking getting rid of a young, cheap and ascending vontae davis, Karlos dansby who ended up having some AMAZING years after leaving, and more.

The team was a mess before, during and after Philbin. That’s on the personnel department more than the coach. If anything, he failed for not fighting for more control. Ireland was on his way out, then Hickey comes in for a hot second, then Tannenbaum. BTW, Gase’s record isn’t a ton better. Gonna be about the same unless he does better than 8-8. And I like Gase. I just don’t think it’s the coach as much as the organization.

The team was a mess before, during and after Philbin. That’s on the personnel department more than the coach. If anything, he failed for not fighting for more control. Ireland was on his way out, then Hickey comes in for a hot second, then Tannenbaum. BTW, Gase’s record isn’t a ton better. Gonna be about the same unless he does better than 8-8. And I like Gase. I just don’t think it’s the coach as much as the organization.

I agree with the mess all around, I just didnt agree with Philbin jettisoning anyone who didn't agree with his robotic boring style

An allusion to caged canaries (birds) that miners would carry down into the mine tunnels with them. If dangerous gases such as carbon monoxide collected in the mine, the gases would kill the canary before killing the miners.

Back
Top Bottom