‘2 Down Kiko Alonso’: A Canary In The Coal Mine | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘2 Down Kiko Alonso’: A Canary In The Coal Mine

Neither are 1 year wonders ... but one already has a ring so I'm thinking he's gonna be just fine unless the Eagles hire Tannenbaum after we fire him out of a cannon into the sun.

Wentz may be "fine", but the hype he's getting this off-season is predictably ridiculous coming from that fan base and even the media. Jalen Ramsey is right, looking forward to the Eagles playing them in London next year because this is how easy the Eagles schedule was last year. It's almost as if, they were taking advantage of a super easy schedule until they ran into Seattle. What a coincidence, I hate those lucky b*******, thanks Bellicheat and ATL lol.

Last edited:
The best compared to who? Misi? Allen? Hull? Best becomes a misnomer when taken in context. He has been healthy, but I'd rather him be good. He was a liability in all phases of the game last season. Those DROY days are long gone. The Eagles knew it. And were still able to slide into the top 10 using him (mostly us) as a bargaining chip. The Dolphins can only muster 4th round picks for their actual best players. And sometimes they even release them because who needs compensation? But at least they have psychics on the payroll to tell them when gas mask bong videos are going to be leaked. Hoorah for fortune tellers!

It's amazing how people will continue to make the same arguments when hindsight already **** all over them.
LMAO - so true.

Giving fat extensions and guarantees to players you have to hide between better players (while doing all kinds of stupid **** in between) is basically the recipe for being the Miami Dolphins of the last like 20 years.

The point is he isn't good and the contract hurt and that's precisely why there was an article about it. A smart team releases him after the season when it's financially responsible.

Agree with the first half. Can’t say his contract hurt them. Cost them less than 3mil last year. Cost them over 8mil each of the next 3 years, so they can cut him if hes still a liability.

Anyway, who haven’t they signed because of his contract? Stills was overpaid for his output last year. Obviously Cutler, but Branch, Timmons, Fasano...some of the higher paid players last year.

Agree with the first half. Can’t say his contract hurt them. Cost them less than 3mil last year. Cost them over 8mil each of the next 3 years, so they can cut him if hes still a liability.

Anyway, who haven’t they signed because of his contract? Stills was overpaid for his output last year. Obviously Cutler, but Branch, Timmons, Fasano...some of the higher paid players last year.

Suh was a clear cut cap casualty ... regardless of it being self-inflicted. I could make an argument for Landry there as well but everyone is tired of hearing about that guy.

Suh was a clear cut cap casualty ... regardless of it being self-inflicted. I could make an argument for Landry there as well but everyone is tired of hearing about that guy.

They cut Suh because they didn’t think he was worth the 17 mil they’d save. And 36mil over the next 2 years. The contract was always set up in a way they could get out early and save. That’s different than a cap casualty. They currently have about 15 mil in cap space per Spotrac.

I'm assuming Baker unless someone wants to watch the carnage of Kiko on the strong side ... and hilarity ensues. Kwon should have Mike locked down and then some by now.
I agree mostly but he is still better than Hull or another ST linebacker now. One injury and we are really screwed. We just don't have the depth to do this now IMO.

They cut Suh because they didn’t think he was worth the 17 mil they’d save. And 36mil over the next 2 years. The contract was always set up in a way they could get out early and save. That’s different than a cap casualty. They currently have about 15 mil in cap space per Spotrac.

Now we're calling it savings? Let's just say I disagree for obvious reasons. Like $22 million of them.

Now we're calling it savings? Let's just say I disagree for obvious reasons. Like $22 million of them.

Do you think they didn’t want to pay him or couldn’t pay him? Cap casualty implies they couldn’t pay him.

Do you think they didn’t want to pay him or couldn’t pay him? Cap casualty implies they couldn’t pay him.

He was the definition of a cap casualty. Just google 'Suh cap casualty' and all kinds of articles pop up that save me time in explaining it to you.

If Suh wasn't a cap casualty then there is no such thing as a cap casualty.

Kiko needs to be outplayed by guys on this roster! It’s not his fault that everyone else on the roster is weaker then him!

We need a player to break through and make him expendable.

Until that happens we will be what we are exploitable in crucial moments

They were hyping Hewitt last offseason. Hope he's over whatever happened.

Not sure the OP knows where canary in a coal mine came from...probably the worst analogy ive seen used on here in a long long time, maybe ever, and I joined in what 2005 lol?

Not to be facetious, but FYI: “Miners used canaries to detect carbon monoxide and other deadly gases in the mines. As long as the canaries continued to sing, the miners were safe. If the canary died, they’d evacuate the miners.”

So: If Kiko struggles and gets bumped down the depth chart on passing downs, despite his large salary, it’s a darn good sign for the season. It will mean the Phins have the talent to upgrade and posses a wise staff that’s all about competition and winning.

BUT, if he looks like he did in 2017 and still shows up in the Nickel… then there could be big, big trouble ahead in 2018.

that's a terrible incongruous analogy....

I get it. Kiko didn't make a lot of takeaways last year. Good thing _______________ was the LB that did make those takeaways. Fill in the blank. Go ahead … I'll wait.

Everyone was sooooooo excited about getting LAWOLrence Timmons. Not me. I was against it. Dude proved a bad investment. Mr. "impact linebacker" didn't have a positive impact. Or maybe the chorus of people who were defending our LB corps two, three, and four years ago? You know, the people always defending Neville Hewitt or Kelvin Sheppard. Perhaps letting go of Spencer Paysinger, Jelani Jenkins or Donald Butler were mistakes? Face it, we've had tons of suck at LB for a long time. Kiko is the lone bright spot.

He may not be perfect, nobody said he ever was, but the hype machine goes overdrive in favor of any LB not named Kiko. It's absolutely insane how people love to hate on him. When surrounded by competent play, he's a good LB. When surrounded by utter trash, yeah, he gets exposed.

I have a lot of faith in Raekwon McMillan. The kid has the instincts and solid physical tools. I'm excited to see what he brings. But it may be a long time before we see another LB make a lot of takeaways.

This game isn't about consistently generating 3-and-outs. Those days are long gone. The rules are slanted heavily in favor of the offense. Today it's about making those exceptional plays and generating takeaways. It is a rare team that can dominate on defense enough to break that pattern … and we are definitely not that team.

So go ahead, watch a kid run fast and proclaim him the next Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly. But playing LB today is nearly impossible, and there aren't many of those guys, despite the hype. Being big enough to thump a Leonard Fournette, stack and shed a Zack Martin, and then have enough size to match up against a Gronkowski one down and the quickness to cover an Edelman the next … that is nearly an impossible ask athletically. And, LB remains more of an instinctual position than an athletic position. Finding those high level athletes that have those instincts is extremely rare. And virtually none of those athletes can do the thumping and stack/shed part anymore. The modern LB is easily exploited, because the only trait they typically have is speed. Power games blow them up consistently. intricate plays baffle the lion's share of these glorified safeties masquerading as linebackers today.

Before we completely throw our only decent linebacker to the scrap heap … just realize the state of the linebacker position today. When we're running a 4-3 exclusively with quick-twitch penetrators along the DL and not even trying to keep our LB's clean, don't be surprised when those LB's don't stop the run. When our secondary is playing off coverage a lot and our DL isn't getting quick pressure, don't be surprised that our LB's are exposed in coverage. And when you get rid of Kiko and our LB corps generates virtually no turnovers … just remember, that's what you wanted. This board consistently overrates the Jelani Jenkins of the league for absolutely no reason.

I get it. Kiko didn't make a lot of takeaways last year. Good thing _______________ was the LB that did make those takeaways. Fill in the blank. Go ahead … I'll wait.

Everyone was sooooooo excited about getting LAWOLrence Timmons. Not me. I was against it. Dude proved a bad investment. Mr. "impact linebacker" didn't have a positive impact. Or maybe the chorus of people who were defending our LB corps two, three, and four years ago? You know, the people always defending Neville Hewitt or Kelvin Sheppard. Perhaps letting go of Spencer Paysinger, Jelani Jenkins or Donald Butler were mistakes? Face it, we've had tons of suck at LB for a long time. Kiko is the lone bright spot.

He may not be perfect, nobody said he ever was, but the hype machine goes overdrive in favor of any LB not named Kiko. It's absolutely insane how people love to hate on him. When surrounded by competent play, he's a good LB. When surrounded by utter trash, yeah, he gets exposed.

I have a lot of faith in Raekwon McMillan. The kid has the instincts and solid physical tools. I'm excited to see what he brings. But it may be a long time before we see another LB make a lot of takeaways.

This game isn't about consistently generating 3-and-outs. Those days are long gone. The rules are slanted heavily in favor of the offense. Today it's about making those exceptional plays and generating takeaways. It is a rare team that can dominate on defense enough to break that pattern … and we are definitely not that team.

So go ahead, watch a kid run fast and proclaim him the next Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly. But playing LB today is nearly impossible, and there aren't many of those guys, despite the hype. Being big enough to thump a Leonard Fournette, stack and shed a Zack Martin, and then have enough size to match up against a Gronkowski one down and the quickness to cover an Edelman the next … that is nearly an impossible ask athletically. And, LB remains more of an instinctual position than an athletic position. Finding those high level athletes that have those instincts is extremely rare. And virtually none of those athletes can do the thumping and stack/shed part anymore. The modern LB is easily exploited, because the only trait they typically have is speed. Power games blow them up consistently. intricate plays baffle the lion's share of these glorified safeties masquerading as linebackers today.

Before we completely throw our only decent linebacker to the scrap heap … just realize the state of the linebacker position today. When we're running a 4-3 exclusively with quick-twitch penetrators along the DL and not even trying to keep our LB's clean, don't be surprised when those LB's don't stop the run. When our secondary is playing off coverage a lot and our DL isn't getting quick pressure, don't be surprised that our LB's are exposed in coverage. And when you get rid of Kiko and our LB corps generates virtually no turnovers … just remember, that's what you wanted. This board consistently overrates the Jelani Jenkins of the league for absolutely no reason.

Don’t agree with you often but gotta give credit when credits due

Not sure the OP knows where canary in a coal mine came from...probably the worst analogy ive seen used on here in a long long time, maybe ever, and I joined in what 2005 lol?
Honestly i had to google it, and still don’t quite get how it relates

Back
Top Bottom