2 Draft Picks Signed / Some progress with Eddie Moore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2 Draft Picks Signed / Some progress with Eddie Moore

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
2 Draft Picks Signed

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ul23,0,4902959.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Safety Yeremiah Bell (sixth round), tackle Tim Provost (sixth) and defensive tackle Davern Williams (seventh) agreed to terms Monday night. Tight end Donald Lee (fifth) and linebacker Corey Jenkins (sixth) signed contracts earlier in the offseason.

Meanwhile the Herald missed the boat posting this article around the same time.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6362508.htm

So I'm not taking the word of the herald about our draft picks :rolleyes:

Very imporant that Eddie Morre and the 2 lineman chosen in third round get signed before Training Camp.. They neeeds those reps if they plan on getting excessive playing time..

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Very imporant that Eddie Morre and the 2 lineman chosen in third round get signed before Training Camp.. They neeeds those reps if they plan on getting excessive playing time..

Here here:judge:

We need those three badly. I hope they sign soon.
:pray: :pray: :pray:

Re: 2 Draft Picks Signed

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
So I'm not taking the word of the herald about our draft picks :rolleyes: [/B]

It's not only the Miami Herald. All the media has at sometime given mistaken or very poor information. Remember the Seau contract information reported by the Sun Sentinel??? Even the NFLPA gives out multi-year info on contracts but for every undrafted rookie the info implies only one year and the Sentinel article today implies their contacts are all two year deals. Makes sense as all the other players signed were at least two years and there is no down side to the two year contract only an upside for signing bonus proration. Yet it surprises me that the NFLPA didn't list the second year???

Last edited by a moderator:
Some progress with Eddie Moore

Dolphins | Moore To Accept Deal?
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:15:18 -0700

Updating an ongoing story, Jason Cole, of the Miami Herald, reports an NFL Players Association source said that Derek Spratley, the agent of Miami Dolphins second-round pick LB Eddie Moore, exchanged proposals with the team and is willing to accept a five-year deal. However, the deal contains incentives that will be very difficult to earn, such as requiring Moore to make two Pro Bowls in his first four seasons.

Do they really think Eddie Moore is THAT good to offer those kind of incentives?

I'm thinking they are making this unlikely to be earned incentives, so that his cap hit is lower......

Hey, if he is, we are giving him the incentive to make that money. If he isn't, then we don't give away money for nothing. Our FO really does know how to get every dimes worth out of their players. I like it.

I for one hope he hits those incentives, cause that just means he kicks @$$.

Eddie Moore and Wade Smith have aweful big incentives to get into camp on time. If they do, they can win starting spots. Taylor Whitley, hey, take your time hehe.

I'm really looking forward to Greenwood vs Moore.Can Greenwood raise the level of play and get more playing time or can Moore actually take his spot?I remeber just last year the Dolphins were talking about Greenwood could be looking at a breakout year.

Originally posted by Bazinet37
I'm thinking they are making this unlikely to be earned incentives, so that his cap hit is lower......

Agreed.

Re: P.S.

Originally posted by dolphan39
BREAKDOWN: Money matters

Extrapolating from this:

since Miami has only $1.56 million remaining, only $660,000 remains after subtracting rookie minimum salaries of $225,000 for the last 4 draft choices.

Taking market value rookie deals:

5) WR Tolver(pick #169): Pick #166 rec'd $102,000 over 3 yrs; Pick #174 rec'd $80,500 over 3 yrs. Market value would be approx. $96,000 over 3 yrs or $32,000/yr

3) G Whitley(pick#87): Pick #85 rec'd $600,000 over 4yrs, so his market value over 4 yrs is a bit less than than $150,000/yr

3) OL Smith(pick #78): Pick #77 rec'd $505,000 over 3 yrs; pick #75 rec'd $515,000 over 3 yrs. Smith's market value is approx. $500,000 over 3 yrs or $166,667/yr.

2) LB Moore(pick #49): Pick #47 rec'd $1.32 million over 4 yrs; pick #53 rec'd $1.52 million over 5 yrs plus salary escalator for 5th yr of deal. Market value is approx. $325,000/yr or a bit less for 5yr deal as long as it has an escalator for the 5th yr.

Taking the approximations: $32,000 + $150,000 + $166,667 + $325,000=$673,667 or about $14,000 OVER the rookie cap.

One rookie will need to bite the bullet and that is likely to be Moore because 5 yr deals have been established as a trend, so the cap value of the bonus amortization can be lowered and he could be compensated in later yrs :D

Back
Top Bottom