2 Losses Turned Season. Both Came Down To This Player. Here’s What Dolphins Think Of Him | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2 Losses Turned Season. Both Came Down To This Player. Here’s What Dolphins Think Of Him

Bottom line was that 24 pts scored and a 10 pt lead in that game on the road vs a very good team should have been enough.....it was not. Tannehill is way down on that list for the reasons we lost. Either way, incredibly disappointing
I didn't place blame on Tannehill, I simply said those numbers are mediocre and not enough to beat an offensive powerhouse, and again, the results backed that up. And I don't think a single one of us watching the game said to ourselves "10 points is enough", lol, which in itself is a problem.

Losses at Cincinnati and at Indianapolis on Sunday.
“Your disappointed because you’ve got two games where you’re sitting there going, well, 5-6, or 7-4,” Gase said dejectedly. “So it’s a [crappy] feeling.”
It feels bad for the Dolphins because they had fourth-quarter leads in both games and lost them. Both those leads evaporated inside the final 12 minutes of the game.
And both those games could spell the difference between the Dolphins making the playoffs or missing the postseason for the second time in Gase’s three seasons as coach.
But here’s the thing: Both those games have a common theme in that what happened has a direct tie to Miami’s starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
No, I’m not saying both loses should be pinned on Tannehill, although the loss to the Bengals certainly was on him and he has taken responsibility for it.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-salguero/article222188065.html#storylink=rss
It doesn't get Gase off the hook, but it all makes sense to me. Tannehill is NOT a QB who plays well in big games. I called this out when he was a rookie after that game up in Buffalo and I got raked over the coals for saying it by most of the members of THIS site. That game against Cincinnati was the ultimate choke job by Tannehill. I could tell how annoyed Gase was with him on the day after Press Conference. I pointed this out on a post that day. One more thing. Miko Grimes asked a question 2 years ago which was this; How many Coaches will Ryan Tannehill get fired before they realize he is no good? Secondly, has any of his ex-teammates ever said he is a good QB? Please give me the names.

Just a quick search showed GB trailed Dallas by one point in the 4th in this game and won. So there could be other games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201501110gnb.htm

What a weird qualifier to put on there.

2009:
The 2009 Bears had a losing record because he had two 4th quarter comebacks against them that year (9-7 otherwise).
2010:
game winning drive against 11-5 Bears, but they were tied going into the 4th, so probably doesn't count.
2011:
Game-winning drive against SB champ Giants, but I guess they weren't down at the beginning of the 4th, so probably doesn't count.
2012:
comeback and game-winning drive against the Saints, putting them under .500, but probably doesn't count because 8-8 isn't a winning season unless you're the Phins.
2013:
4th quarter comeback against the Bears, who finished 8-8 because of it.
2014:
4th quarter comeback and game-winning drive against the Dolphins, but they weren't down at the beginning of the 4th, so I guess this doesn't count (such a weird barometer, but I digress). Phins would have had a winning season with a win.
Also had the playoff comeback against Dallas that you mentioned.
2015:
4th quarter comeback against the Seahawks, who finished 10-6, but were 0-2 at the time, so I guess it doesn't count :lol:
Also had a 4th quarter comeback against the Lions, knocking them under .500, but .500 isn't winning, so probably doesn't count
2016:
Game winning drive against the Texans, but they were tied at the beginning of the 4th, so doesn't count I guess.
Also had a game-winning drive against the Cowboys in the playoffs, but they were leading at the beginning of the 4th, so he's a loser.
2017:
Game winning drive against the would-be 8-8 Bengals...damn, they were tied at the beginning of the 4th and .500 is only winning in Miami. Nevermind.
4th Quarter comeback against the Cowboys, who finished 9-7, but technically wasn't a winning team when they played them at 2-3 :shrug:
2018:
4th Quarter comeback against the Bears, but they were...0-1 at the time, so Aaron Rodgers sucks.

But none of this matters because bashing Aaron Rodgers in defense of Tannewho? is the epitome of desperation. Just think, in the future, a father and son will be walking through the NFL Hall of Fame come across the bust of Rodgers and the son will say, "dad, who is that?" and the dad will say, "son, that's no Tannehill."

Every single one of us knew when we were up by 10 we would have to score 1 more time, even a FG to win the game. You can not beat the Patriots, Saints, Rams, Texans, Seattle, Pittsburgh and the Chiefs without scoring at the end of the game... it does not matter what happens the 1st 3 quarters of the game because against those teams there is no lead safe no matter who is playing defense. That's just the way it is now.

For those that are running with the blame Tannehill train. I ask you a question:

Can you legitimately say his boss has done a more than fair job of putting him and his offensive players in a position to have success?

If you can’t flat out say yes then how could you blame him or anyone else on the offense?

Leadership starts at the top PERIOD!

Last edited:
Tannehill couldn't hold Rodgers' jock strap. He'd probably fumble it.

LOL. Nobody is comparing Tannehill to Rodgers. You can unbunch your panties.

0-37 when trailing against good teams.

4-6-1 this season....

BUT, BUT, BUT...... it MUST be all about the QBeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#QBwinz baby! Until they don't.......

LOL. Nobody is comparing Tannehill to Rodgers. You can unbunch your panties.

0-37 when trailing against good teams.

4-6-1 this season....

BUT, BUT, BUT...... it MUST be all about the QBeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#QBwinz baby! Until they don't.......

Your wife probably wants them back anyways.

I didn't place blame on Tannehill, I simply said those numbers are mediocre and not enough to beat an offensive powerhouse, and again, the results backed that up. And I don't think a single one of us watching the game said to ourselves "10 points is enough", lol, which in itself is a problem.

you know that to be the truth. LOL

For those that are running with the blame Tannehill train. I ask you a question:

Can you legitimately say his boss has done a more than fair job of putting him and his offensive players in a position to have success?

If you can flat out say yes then how could you blame him or anyone else on the offense?

My answer to that question is no, I have come to question Gase more of late. I just do not see Tannehill ever winning anything here with Gase. The sad thing about this whole thing is that Gase is protecting Tannehill. He has backed him from day 1 without even leaning another way and this is how he is treated? Gases's last experience with Tannheill was a 2 TD debacle in the 4th quarter to lose a game we had in hand. And now we are ready to murder him for running the ball on 3rd and long backed up to our own goal line? Give me a break.

Bottom line was that 24 pts scored and a 10 pt lead in that game on the road vs a very good team should have been enough.....it was not. Tannehill is way down on that list for the reasons we lost. Either way, incredibly disappointing

back in 1972 maybe.

I need to be critical here, because it is part of the problem. When facing one of the top rated offenses in the league, you need to put up points, in bulk, often. 17/25 for 204 yards and 2 TD's is right about Tannehill, in any game (I wont caveat the long ball to Caroo which made up 1/3 of those yards as he threw it, it counts). That is not a great game, well maybe for a bad quarterback, but in the league as it currently stands, those are losing numbers, as was evident Sunday. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, I mean, no INT's is a good thing, but in the context I provided, they will not win games.

Members here have this knack of saying, well he did well but we still lost. I'm not going to bother averaging out stats because of the games missed, but I can tell you fairly certainly that those numbers would be right in the 20-30 range of QB stats.

Tom Brady lived on 200 yard games, on throwing short passes and allowing his receivers to do the rest. The reason he did a good job, is because he found ways to get the ball to to his receivers, after 5 weeks of Osweiler, the difference has to be night and day.

Tannehill after coming back from a bad shoulder, In the opponants stadium, with obvious pain that were told he will have to deal with for the rest of the year, he was able to give them a lead, and put up 24 points, and had a 104 Qb rating for that game. If Gase had not taken the ball out of his hand, and allowed him to extent that score, his stats might have been even better...either way, eventually in crunch time, a defense has to make a play.

Back
Top Bottom