2 min offense 2nd QT. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2 min offense 2nd QT.

Dthrill_08

Active Roster
Reaction score
Someone please explain what was going through the mind of Coach Flores.

He left Jacoby Brissett on the field and tried to get an offsides. We had 3 TO, over 1:15 on the clock (maybe more) but we get a delay of game.

We had plenty of time to go for the TD but settled for a FG instead.

Someone please explain what was going through the mind of Coach Flores.

He left Jacoby Brissett on the field and tried to get an offsides. We had 3 TO, over 1:15 on the clock (maybe more) but we get a delay of game.

We had plenty of time to go for the TD but settled for a FG instead.
No

I think they had a play they wanted to run with him but time expired

Here’s how it was explained by the radio guys:

1. Brisket was in there to run the sneak.

2. Left him in with no intention of snapping ball - didn’t want to leave NE w any time after we scored. Idea was to score a TD using our 3 TOs.

3. Mistake was no one believed Brisket was going to run a play as he was cold. You put Tua back in if you have any hope of drawing them offsides.

4. Main goal though was to kill clock.

5. Getting a 5 yard penalty messed up all of our plans.

Here’s how it was explained by the radio guys:

1. Brisket was in there to run the sneak.

2. Left him in with no intention of snapping ball - didn’t want to leave NE w any time after we scored. Idea was to score a TD using our 3 TOs.

3. Mistake was no one believed Brisket was going to run a play as he was cold. You put Tua back in if you have any hope of drawing them offsides.

4. Main goal though was to kill clock.

5. Getting a 5 yard penalty messed up all of our plans.
If that was the plan, I have to question our coaches' football acumen.

That is what I am thinking and it was a mistake. I understand removing time from the clock but it is rookie Mac Jones, not Mahomes or Brady. With 40 seconds and no timeouts, I bet the Pats don't score.

We played it conservative and it caused us.

I believe we had more than 1:15 seconds with good field position and 3 time outs. The pats had 0 time outs.

If that was the plan, I have to question our coaches' football acumen.
You and Cefalo, Taylor, Rose and Bokamper - all thought it was idiotic. As JT put it “no one on NE believed they were going to snap it w Brisket in there. You put Tua back in for that”. The idea of running time off then taking a TO was fine. We didn’t play for the FG. We had an eternity to score a TD. But the 5 yard penalty messed it up.

That is what I am thinking and it was a mistake. I understand removing time from the clock but it is rookie Mac Jones, not Mahomes or Brady. With 40 seconds and no timeouts, I bet the Pats don't score.

We played it conservative and it caused us.

I believe we had more than 1:15 seconds with good field position and 3 time outs. The pats had 0 time outs.
Jones was killing us w short passes. It’s conceivable they got into FG range. It would have been great coaching on our side if it had worked!

I liked it personally, a minute with 3 time outs left is all day on a short field. We didn’t need the time, we just needed better execution.
Me too. The mistake was leaving Brisket in.

IMO the plan was to run clock to make sure NE had no time left regardless of what happened on the drive. They still planned to take a shot at the TD. Which they did, but a great play by the DB foiled that. At worst they figured to get 3 points and leave no time for NE. They succeeded at that. (Despite Davis who was the only one who seemed to think a snap was coming). The strategy is sound game management, but IMO it would have been more believable with Tua in. I do get that they may have thought leaving Brissett in would give more time to hard count.

Jones was killing us w short passes. It’s conceivable they got into FG range. It would have been great coaching on our side if it had worked!
But it didn't and it probably works about 0% of the time you try something like that. On top of that, you don't waste time like that. So many things can happen and then you run out of time.

Back
Top Bottom